Building a website

I am using www.mavenhosting.com but I think it's a french host. It's very high quality and very very helpful and responsive to my requests, but it's also a bit more pricey than the average low cost host.

If you're talking about just a domain host, you should be able to obtain a domain to your normal host, for the regular price. I think a .com is about 10 dollars a year or so.

In fact I think my skin is overriding, because the button still appears. Anyway I just cleaned 2000 robot accounts :lol:

Well crap. :tickled: I don't have a site up right now so I can't check into it myself. Just for shits and giggles, can you remove the whole module/extensions? I don't remember.

Registering is disabled anyway so it doesn't matter. I just needed to avoid more bots getting in, the rest is cosmetic, i'll fix it up later ! And yes I think you can just disable the whole module easily I did it previously, I just wanted to keep the "log in" alone. I might just make a direct link instead and move the module to a specific page to remove it from the front page.

Is it the one from your sig ? Just for info, I had a look, and on Safari on MacOs Yosemite, it's super buggy. Like shakky and it doesn't display the website well

I honestly recommend wordpress or joomla for this kind of needs.

You need to dig a bit into joomla, but once you get it, it's actually as simple as setting up your menu, modules and when/where they appear, and writing articles in different categories (for example i use a category for the main website content, a category for "blog" and a category for everything else). I imagine Wordpress is pretty similar.

no. the Wix site was my former website and was butt ugly since i didn't know a think about web design back than. this one is all manually coded/designed using PHP and Bootstrap. I made it about a year ago and i can't be bothered with maintaining it, i'll probably rewrite it using Ruby on Rails when i get the time for it. it should work fine if you use a real browser though :p

So I'm trying to make a new website for my recording business. I've tried Wordpress, but I found it a little difficult to get what I want out of it. I'm looking for something easy to work with and maybe run a blog out of in the future.

What are you guys using for your websites? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Yeah, many people struggle to build a successful online business with WordPress. They keep adding plugins and other features hoping it will solve their problem. Yet Wordpress "as is" won't build an online business.

Despite the dazzling display of Wordpress features, the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme) to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic (example of such a system: WealthPrinciples dot net). Otherwise you'll end up having (and building) only a WordPress webSITE but not a webBUSINESS.

Yeah, many people struggle to build a successful online business with WordPress. They keep adding plugins and other features hoping it will solve their problem. Yet Wordpress "as is" won't build an online business.

Despite the dazzling display of Wordpress features, the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme) to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic (example of such a system: WealthPrinciples dot net). Otherwise you'll end up having (and building) only a WordPress webSITE but not a webBUSINESS.

Can you elaborate a little bit ?

This year I started paying advertisement for Google searches (through Google AdWords), but they're asking me to create a website as well, to improve traffic to my ads, which so far only point traffic towards a FB page (and apparently aren't getting that much clicks because I'm lacking a proper website).

Is it better to create a page with Google Sites or Google Business (for better positioning on Google searches), or an independent .com domain?
Anyone knows about this?

*^ I was just on the phone with a Google rep and I asked him about just that, but he couldn't give me a straight answer, said it wasn't his department

I haven't read every reply in this post, but I'll give a quick rundown of my knowledge (I work as a front end web dev/graphic designer and in marketing for a fairly large ECommerce company)

To start off as far as a platform for building your site, it kind of ends being one of those scenarios where there isn't a right answer. Wordpress is a great starting point. It has a great community, there are endless free plugins and templates to choose from (an example being plugins that can automate SEO etc better than you can if you have no knowledge of it). Security is obviously an issue that everyone mentions, but most people aren't going to be attacking your site (bots are a different story to some degree). If you work with big names etc, it's probably worth having a pro step in and setup your backend, especially if you use your server for hosting project files or if you have bands log in to your site.

Other popular CMS's (Content Management Systems) would be Joomla, Drupal, DotNetNuke, Tiny CMS etc. The list goes on and on. With that being said, chances are no amount of templates, plugins, guides etc will give your site a super professional presence. It doesn't matter how responsive, light or easy to use your template is, there are so many things that go into a website from UX/UI to database integration to design to SEO etc. The list goes on and on. If you are very serious about creating a site and you're not just looking for something to throw together and put up some audio clips, it might be worth hiring a developer or designer to at least help with some part of it. Watch out though, some guys take advantage.

As far as hosting, I've setup my freelance clients on Dreamhost and recently I just bought my own domain from ASmallOrange and I already really like there vibe and what they offer. Shared hosting plans are fine if you don't expect much traffic (most studios probably won't have much anyway).

Remember, always have a goal with your site. Do you just want a place for people to be able to hear your work? Do you want to use it primarily for people contacting you? Do you want an entire backend built for files as well as a client log in to track the progress of their album/log all interactions from there? Also remember, data is your friend. Free tools like google analytics can really give some crazy insight to your traffic and web browsing patterns. Things such as bounce rates, heat maps etc. can be used to see what really goes on when your prospective clients go on your site.

I'm leaving out a lot for the sake of I'm super tired haha, but feel free to post some questions below and I'll do my best to answer them if you want

Just redid my site last night. I've been wanting to switch to a one page layout for like a year and finally dug in and did it. http://www.sloanstewart.com/

I would suggest finding a friend that is familiar with messing with html/css/php/js to get optimal results. for example, i'm using a 'free' theme but it has a pro version for sale, so in essence it's a trial theme i guess. i use some custom stuff to bypass having to use the paid version, like the form i'm using is via a plugin and manually placed on the page etc. i really can't think of a solution that is entirely beginner friendly that lets you do exactly what you want. wordpress is the closest and fastest thing i've found.

The absolute easiest way to get a professional looking site is....

Hire someone else to do it.

I outsourced my entire Wordpress blog design and development on Odesk (www.odesk.com). Eastern Europeans on Odesk speak solid english, work for relatively cheap, and do a great job on web design and development. The site is in my signature if you want to see what a fully outsourced custom website looks like.

I literally did nothing other than search for what I thought would be a good designer and developer.

^ Your site looks really good, mind sharing an approximate cost?
Can you be in control of some design changes on your own afterwards, or do you pay them to do that as well?

The absolute easiest way to get a professional looking site is....

Hire someone else to do it.

I outsourced my entire Wordpress blog design and development on Odesk (www.odesk.com). Eastern Europeans on Odesk speak solid english, work for relatively cheap, and do a great job on web design and development. The site is in my signature if you want to see what a fully outsourced custom website looks like.

I literally did nothing other than search for what I thought would be a good designer and developer.

That's a great idea. Really the only thing stopping me from doing that was the price, but it looks like a lot of people on that site (and similar sites) are pretty affordable.

I do have the same questions as AD Chaos. I'd like to be able to make minor changes (swapping out content, like pictures and such, and maybe even adding a page or two in the future) without having to hire someone to do that for me. Is that possible with this sort of thing?

^ Your site looks really good, mind sharing an approximate cost?
Can you be in control of some design changes on your own afterwards, or do you pay them to do that as well?

The design was $500 and the developer cost me $400. The design probably took the guy 1 full day of work, and I had zero revisions for him. I was 100% happy.
The development took nearly a month, and a shitload of revisions. I feel bad that the developer got paid less than the designer, but that's the price he quoted me for the job. I think I ended up sending him a little bonus at the end, just because he did pretty much every single revision I asked of him.

Major design changes are pretty much impossible, because the developer built a custom theme around the design that was made. I can, however, change little things like photos, buttons, and obviously any text you see.

So, I'm thinking about giving Wordpress a try- Google Sites' visuals are just atrocious haha

Do you guys -using Wordpress- pay for anything other than the basic (free) version? Is it a bad idea to buy the domain through them?