Carpal Tunnel...im scared

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Koldun - Melodic Death metal with jazz parts and a lot of improvisation ( in both jazzy solos and typical melodic stuff )

Night of kupala - Doom metal with jazz harmony ( a lot of jazz chords over distorsion making a very weird yet relaxing and darker sound, i dont know why not every metal band out there doesnt tries 7ths, sus4, add9 and 11 and the like ).

Either the bands are not very known yet or I am not very aware of the metal scene here, if you play in the central zone of this wasteland make sure to tell me, to check them out.

We are still making a name for ourselves out there, this saturday being our biggest gig yet with other bigger bands from Monterrey like Ira ( Maybe you know them ) Aglarond ( they are with american line records ) and others of course. Looking foward to it.

How are your hands Misanthrope?
How did the gig go?
Did you visit a doctor after all?

As far as carpal tunnel syndrome is concerned anyway, after checking with my sources (;)), i have to say that you most likely _don't_ have it, since:
a) it mostly happens to people whose work is heavily manual (like workers using compressors).
b) it affects the "feeling" of the thumb and the 2 1/2 next fingers to it.

People like you, that type a lot and use their hands a lot could develop a tendonitis though.

Siren (always at your service, even if late..)

Edit: realized thumb isn't a "he" :rolleyes: :p

@siren: and what is carpal tunnel syndrome, btw? is it something affecting the muscles or what?

rahvin. (patiently trying to explain to his thumbs they're not boys but girlies)

If my mind doesn't fails me, the carpal tunnel syndrome affects the capacity of movement in your fingers, so that's a horrible syndrome for a guitar player.

|ngenius (his mind fails usually)

@rahvin: The 8 small bones forming your wrist (placed between the two long bones of your arm and the metacarpal bones), form a concavity. Above this concavity passes the transverse ligament of the wrist. So the ligament transforms the concavity into a tunnel. This tunnel is called carpal tunnel.

Through this tunnel pass 9 tendons and the median neuron (plus 1 other tendon that doesn't pass through the whole tunnel, but breaks through the ligament and enters the tunnel).

When for some reason the ligament is shortened, there is a pressure exerted on the median neuron, and this causes all the symptoms. As you guessed, this state is called carpal tunnel syndrome.

The median neuron now, reaches the first 3 and 1/2 fingers, that's why they are affected. The rest 1 and 1/2 fingers have another neuron for them, the one that passes behind your elbow.

After further research though, i have to add that there are many causes for this syndrome, so i can't really tell if Misanthrope could have it or not, but i tend to think he doesn't (some facts i read are that it is more often in women and in ages between 40-60. I have the impression that it develops through time, but i can't be sure of this).

I hope i was as accurate as possible, i really hope i didn't make any mistakes, and i have to apologize for my lack of knowledge on the english terminology :)

Siren (humble transmitor of knowledge, hoping she said everything fine..)

@Thanatos: No, but i'm kinda interested in these things and i have some friends who do ;)

Originally posted by Siren
How are your hands Misanthrope?
How did the gig go?
Did you visit a doctor after all?

As far as carpal tunnel syndrome is concerned anyway, after checking with my sources (;)), i have to say that you most likely _don't_ have it, since:
a) it mostly happens to people whose work is heavily manual (like workers using compressors).
b) it affects the "feeling" of the thumb and the 2 1/2 next fingers to it.

People like you, that type a lot and use their hands a lot could develop a tendonitis though.

Siren (always at your service, even if late..)

Edit: realized thumb isn't a "he" :rolleyes: :p

My hands are doing better, but im playing far less hour so that could be it.

The gig went great, we were the opening bands but still recieved a great response, sound problems ( as usual ) here and there but nothing making us do mistakes ( exept for Koldun and some crazy guitar parts but that is being taken care off ).

@Statues_Turned_Dust: Usually i would say we would be willing to play everyone we can afford to go and/or we are invited to, but the situation is kinda hard cause none of the 6 of us actually has a viable visa and it would take several months for us all to get them so i guess not in the next few months...however i head about some gigs on Laredo Tx, that are moved to Nuevo Laredo in mexico so Mexican bands ( and people ) in our current situation can play but i wouldnt know much about it, i used to talk to some friends on the net that were from laredo ( Deformed and now Violate ) but its been a while since i dont talk to them i kinda loose contact.