Celtic Frost

:danceboy:

icon14.gif

I've been listening to a lot of Celtic Frost since the other night. I finally "get" them. They pretty much mop the floor with awesome bands who wouldn't even exist for another 5 to 10 years. I should've started listening to these dudes years ago like I knew I was supposed to.

There was this this Top 10 Metal Albums list from Guitar School about 12 years ago that I worked my way through but for whatever reason never got around to Celtic Frost. But that time is over!

There was this this Top 10 Metal Albums list from Guitar School about 12 years ago that I worked my way through but for whatever reason never got around to Celtic Frost. But that time is over!

What's wacky is I've got that issue of Guitar School in little pile of bathroom reading. It was the special "Thrash Edition" with interviews with all the big thrash bands, including that list of "10 Greatest Thrash Albums Evvarrrr!!11!"

Number ten was Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales" and number one was Reign In Blood (big shocker).

Celtic Frost got shat one by the press a great deal really until To Mega Therion came out, which is when people really started to embrace them on the mainstream level. They did a great deal to separate themselves from the 'Black Metal' stereotypes at the time after Mercyful Fate was ridiculed for the fact that King Diamond took his Satanic imagery so seriously. Celtic Frost never called themselves Black Metal, but rather Death Metal, but they considered themselves a "ock band on the very HEAVY side, with a touch of the avante-garde thrown in for good measure."

oh man ... back when there were usually more fans on stage than band members :lol:

Obituary doing CF :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wacky is I've got that issue of Guitar School in little pile of bathroom reading. It was the special "Thrash Edition" with interviews with all the big thrash bands, including that list of "10 Greatest Thrash Albums Evvarrrr!!11!"

Number ten was Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales" and number one was Reign In Blood (big shocker).
Friggin' cool. I have that magazine still, goat knows where though.

Personal timeline with Celtic Frost:

1993: Read about Morbid Tales in above mentioned magazine, gradually get every album on that list I didn't already own, except for that one for whatever reason.
2004: Purchase To Mega Therion, listen twice, say "I see they were ahead of their time."
2007: Purchase Monotheist, enjoy casually. Witness them live. Purchase every single other album. Gonuts on a regular basis ever since.

One of the best, most important bands metal ever had. It took me long enough to figure that out.