Cheap gear that surprised you (lets say under $300)

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Inspired from the other thread. It can be mics, instruments, pres, converters, plugins, recording software etc...

For me:

1. Tama Metalworks snare. Thing bangs just as good as some of it's more expensive brothers. I paid $100, but I'm pretty sure they are/were in the under $300 area even new.

2. SX jazz bass. Even stock this thing sound pretty good for a cheap china bass and I paid less than $200 for it.

Behringer B-1 cheap condenser mic. Bought it 10 years ago for 100$ and it's still useful today.

Röde NT-5 matched pair. Röde NT-2.
Audix D and F series.
Each and every Slate Digital plugin, especially trigger.
Steinberg UR22, even if it's a small "mix on the road" interface it's awesome to work with while you are away and it has really neat preamps.

This thing:
Ibanez-SZ320.jpg

Replaced the pickups and it became my go-to tracking guitar. $350 with case.

As mentioned in the thread that I assume inspired this one I'd have to say it's my Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in what they call Vintage Blonde (Blackguard style) with a pine body. That guitar performs well above it's $350 dollar price range.

529388_384659784885907_170258450_n.jpg

-Ibanes GAX75. First guitar I got, swapped the pickups in it a few years back, and it became my major songwriting tool. The d-tuner was pretty cool if I wanted to easily drop the low E down a step. I've had it for a while now and it needs some love to bring it back in shape a bit. New electronics and whatnot.
-AMT E1. I heard so much about these pedals so I took a dive and bought one. I was absolutely impressed.

Oh man, I'm the king of cheap gear, especially cheap used gear. I scour the interwebs all the time for good deals/good excuses to buy stuff.

1984 Ibanez DT250 destroyer. My first guitar, bought it for $199 back in 1994. Still have it today, and it's the best sounding guitar (for metal) I've ever played. I finally just picked up a case for it and put it away, and built my own version of it so I can let it rest and age gracefully, since I've beat on it over the years.

Ampeg SS140C - $120. Excellent sounding solid state amp, even the distortion! It was a combo that someone tried to turn into a head by bolting the amp itself to a scrap piece of particle board. It looked horrible, and worked perfectly. I bought it and built a new enclosure for it. Very happy with it.

1960s AlNiCo speakers - you can get these on eBay all the time in the vintage electronics section for $20-$30. I play the above mentioned ampeg through a 15" AlNiCo speaker from 1964 and it sounds fantastic, albeit a bit of a one-trick pony. They have a low power handling though, so you have to be careful

Peavey VTM-60 - basically a Peavey clone of a hotrodded JCM800. I bought the head as just the chassis with no enclosure and new JJ tubes, for about $150. No complaints here, it sounds incredible and I'd recommend this amp to anyone.

Rogue LX205B - $150 for a 5 string bass. I picked mine up about 5 years ago or so and I still use it all the time. It's nothing special but it sounds good and gets the job done and at least on mine, the fretwork and overall finishing are great.

Bugera 6262 head - $250 used. Some people have negative opinions of Bugera amps because a lot of them are basically copies of more expensive amps, and their early ones had some quality control issues. I love them. It was my first tube amp and sounded absolutely incredible. The only negative for me was that it was a 120 watt tube half stack and I'm just a home studio musician - this thing puts out deafening volumes. But they all sound good! I'd love to pick up one of their 333XLs.

And most of all:
Reaper! $40 or something. Can't remember, I bought it in 2009. Before Reaper I was using a shitty digital 8 track and making shitty music. Once I switched over to Reaper I started learning a ton and my music improved exponentially.

Aria Mac-30, my dad got it for me and not long ago I replaced the pickups and pots/switch and it absolutely slays. I think it was like $150 on sale but the body/neck sound amazing for some reason. Has a dimarzio chopper/fastrack 2/crunchlab set up now.

Also the Hartke bass attack pedal. It's basically a poor mans sansamp with a notch frequency boost.

I ended up picking up an agile al-2000 (price $180) for live use, being a little bit squeamish about using my more expensive guitars for live. I've got to say, with a pickup swap, it's really a killer guitar.

Not a problem.

OC703 or alike = roughly 8 - 10 bucks a piece (2x4x2inch) Generally 6 per bundle.

60 x 4 = (24 sheets , $240) that would make 12 4 inch panels. personally id make 6 inch in corners and use whats left for panels.

add 60.00 for materials (fabric, wood, staples etc.)

$300.00

Berhinger ADA8000. Ridiculously useful for dirt cheap. Shockingly clean.

Used Fender Mexican Jazz bass I picked up for $200. The kid who owned it thought it was a pile of crap & couldn't wait to get rid of it. With a proper setup & some TLC, it's become my "go to bass" for just about everything.... it's wound up on a LOT of records :)

Bass Sans amp. I've had mine for 10 years. Indispensable.

Oh yeah, and the good 'ol sm57. What a bargain!