Cheapest 4-string bass for recording

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What's the cheapest bass you would buy just for recording? I am sick of recording with my guitar and pitch-shifting so I want a really cheap bass that I can use for recording. I've read about Yamaha and SX but I am not sure which model.

Get the cheapest bass guitar you can find, then buy a nice pickup and strings for it (make sure it fits)

I was going to buy a new bass, but I just picked up an SD quarter pounder instead and I am delighted with the results. (purists though may think that pup is a little scooped sounding)

Cool!

Get the cheapest bass guitar you can find, then buy a nice pickup and strings for it (make sure it fits)

I was going to buy a new bass, but I just picked up an SD quarter pounder instead and I am delighted with the results. (purists though may think that pup is a little scooped sounding)
Should I not care about the wood or the bridge neither?

The squier P-bass is pretty good for the price dude, its not the best but it sounds so much better than pitch shifting guitars down, and the pickup in it is ok, unlike a lot of cheaper instruments.

Agathis - Shit
Basswood/Soft Maple - Good
Mahogany, Alder or Ash - Very Good

If you've got a wee bit of cash to spend and want a decent tone then the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is stupidly good for the money.

If you're just looking for something cheap as possible then see whats floating about on ebay as you'll get more bass for your money by going second hand. I find that the Peavey Milestone is pretty decent, as are Yamaha'a low end basses.

Personally I hate Agathis and I hate Basswood. They are too muddy and undefined.

I like Ash bases but there are lots of differences in ash. Alder is consistent. I don't think I have seen many mahogany basses.

Anyway as someone said above, the Squire basses are pretty awesome. I have a P/J that just kills for recording. Well I did drill through the body to make it a string-through. But I had another one with a BadAss bridge that sounded the same.

The other thing I would look for is 2 pickups with a blend. So you can have big warm boomy lows on the bridge pickup and tight stuff on the bridge pickup.. just like guitar. Active EQ would be even better, but then you start going up in price unless it is from Rondo. I have their Ash Douglas 5 string that I got new for $170, it slays!

Get a set-up done, some new Stainless wound strings, and you are golden!

Agathis in general is a pretty crappy wood, but as far as basswood goods, that's a much more subjective manner, because it can come in good sounding batches and poor sounding batches (the rest is up to the user if they like the tonality of basswood or not).
Chances are with a cheap bass you're not really going to get mahogany anyway (and even if you did, it would hardly be the high quality slabs you get on expensive guitars/basses.
Alder is a good tone wood though, I dig it.

Oh and SS strings can be harsh on frets though, bear in mind, but they do last very long. Ideally you'd be using them paired up with SS frets though