Children Of Bodom - Guitar Clinics, Playthroughs, Lessons, etc.

Alexi looks so uncomfortable hunching over a les paul in the 2015 total guitar video lol

Ripped some new stuff

Young Guitar 100% Alexi

My own Ripp of the Reap'n Roll licks

Young Guitar Beginner 06

Keep in mind, as of now, these are still processing, so quality will increase
I will make an info drop on the Young Guitar mags shortly

Have fun with these

So, let's quickly talk Young Guitar. I will give a short FAQ and then post details to the mags that I deem important

Question: What is Young Guitar?
Answer: It is a Japanese magazine that has been going on for quite some time, over 50 years I think.

Question: Is it in Japanese?
Answer: Yes, it is in Japanese. There are some English terms, obviously, but 99,9% is in Japanese.

Question: What does a magazine contain?
Answer: All normal magazines (no specials) contain articles about various musicians/artists, some gear info and tabs for certain songs. From around 2003-2016, every magazine comes with a DVD and video lessons. Before that, only a few came with a DVD/CD. After 2016, there were some download codes until around 2019 maybe. Then, they started publishing their lessons to their YouTube Channel.

Question: If Alexi is on the cover, is he in the magazine?
Answer: Yes.

Question: If Alexi is not on the cover, can he still be in the magazine?
Answer: Yes. In most cases, every magazine has the content listed on the title page. There are a few exceptions though, where artists might be in the magazine without it being especially stated on the title page.

Question: How do I know, who is in the magazine?
Answer: Research. I have detailed information of around 83% of magazines, starting from 1997. As an example what you should be looking for, click here. This is the contents page of August 1997. Every magazine has this page.

Question: Where should I buy them?
Answer: Honestly, everywhere that is not Ebay. Ebay is extremely overpriced. I got most of my regular magazines for something betweeen 5-10 Dollar.

Question: Is it worth buying these?
Answer: It's your money, do with it what you want.

Question: If Alexi is in there, what are the usual contents?
Answer: Usually, it is an interview. There are some pictures of him. Where it gets interesting is pictures of his guitar/gear. These are in some issues, not in every issue. If he has a lesson on a DVD, there are tabs for these lessons (No, there is no TAB for the Passage of the Reaper song, only for the lessons there)

Question: Which were the hardest ones to get?
Answer: The special magazines, usually.

Question: Can you upload the The Bitch is back backing-track?
Answer: The Backing Track

Question: What TABs are in the March 2021 Issue?
Answer: The TABs included are Downfall, Bodom After Midnight and Needled 24/7. Usually, there is only one song of a band in a normal issue. Other than that, I have Young Guitar TABs of Lake Bodom, Follow The Reaper, Hate Me!, Hate Crew Deathroll, Living Deat Beat, Trashed, Lost and Strungout, Tie My Rope and Waste Of Skin too. I assume that the ones we have here are more correct though.

With this out of the way, on to the magazines.

Let's start with the ones that contain him on the DVD

1) Young Guitar October 2002
This contains the Passage Of The Reaper & Vivaldi videos. It also contains a short interview, an interview of him and pictures of his and Roopes guitars as well as their racks and amps.

2) Young Guitar DVD Mag Vol 2 / ヤング・ギターDVD-Mag. Vol.2 (シンコー・ミュージックMOOK)
This is from September 2003 and an extra magazine. It contains the Reap'n Roll video, some pictures of him/his guitar and TABs for the Reap'n Roll licks.

3) Young Guitar January 2006
This contains tabs to his lesson, an interview and pictures of his & Roope's guitars, racks and cabs.

4) Young Guitar Beginners 06
I assume it was recorded the same day as the issue above. The only thing worth mentioning is the video lesson, the rest isn't that interesting.

5) Young Guitar May 2008
This contains the NAMM footage. Other then that, it has not much in there. 3 example TABs of short parts of the NAMM footage, some pictures and a little information about the pink sawtooth guitar.

6) 100% Alexi (Special)
Released in December 2008. It contains the 100% Alexi lesson and has tabs for all of these aswell as some other songs. It has a lot of pictures, an overview of all the albums he was a part of, an interview and many pictures of his gear (amps, pedals, racks, cabins) and guitars.

7) Young Guitar September 2011
This contains the RRF lessons and tabs for these lessons. A few pictures as usual, nothing more.

8) Young Guitar September 2013
This contains the HOB lessons. It has the tabs and a few pictures.

9) Young Guitar November 2015
This contains the IWC lessons and tabs. Just like the magazines before, some pictures, nothing more.

Honorable Mentions

1) Young Guitar Extra 26 / ヤングギター[エクストラ]26 アレキシ・ライホ奏法 (ヤング・ギター[エクストラ])
It is from early 2004. I have seen a lot of (mostly wrong) information for this one. It is in black and white, contains a few pictures of his guitars until that point of time and comes with an audio CD with lessons. It has a backing track for the Bitch is Back from Sinergy though. Other than that it's just tabs for the lessons.

2) Young Guitar March 2001
To my knowledge, the first magazine he was featured in. Just two pages - everyone starts of small.

3) Young Guitar July 2001
The second issue he was in. It contains a poster, some pictures of him, his guitars and a few TABs.

4) Young Guitar August 2003
This contains 3 from the Reap'n Roll lessons on the DVD. Nothing more, just like a teaser.

5) Young Guitar March 2021
This has a lot of stuff in it. A mountain of TABs, interviews, album review, pictures of (nearly?) every of the guitars he has used (Jacksons included), pictures of his gear from different points of time and much more.

------------------------

Feel free to ask anything else, if you are interested.

Edit: Fixed the link to the Extra 26 and fixed some typos
Edit2: Added 2 Questions to the FAQ

Last edited:
FAQ:

Can you upload the The Bitch is back backing-track?

Can you tell us the tabs included in the 2021 issue?

Answer: The TABs included are Downfall, Bodom After Midnight and Needled 24/7. Usually, there is only one song of a band in a normal issue. Other than that, I have Young Guitar TABs of Lake Bodom, Follow The Reaper, Hate Me!, Hate Crew Deathroll, Living Deat Beat, Trashed, Lost and Strungout, Tie My Rope and Waste Of Skin too. I assume that yours are more correct though.

FAQ:

Answer: The TABs included are Downfall, Bodom After Midnight and Needled 24/7. Usually, there is only one song of a band in a normal issue. Other than that, I have Young Guitar TABs of Lake Bodom, Follow The Reaper, Hate Me!, Hate Crew Deathroll, Living Deat Beat, Trashed, Lost and Strungout, Tie My Rope and Waste Of Skin too. I assume that yours are more correct though.

WTF, is this backing track made with Guitar Pro? :D:D I thought it's the original one...

I know this is the utmost shitty quality there is, both sound and image wise, but at least it exists.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1649373305093295&ref=watch_permalink

I'll let Arcane judge whether or not it is worthy of the first page!

Well... If someone could upload it on Google Drive? And how should I name this?

2) Young Guitar DVD Mag Vol 2 / ヤング・ギターDVD-Mag. Vol.2 (シンコー・ミュージックMOOK)
This is from September 2003 and an extra magazine. It contains the Reap'n Roll video, some pictures of him/his guitar and TABs for the Reap'n Roll licks.

Thanks so much for all the info! I tried to find this for sale, mostly looking for the book to see the tabs for the Jani part and I came across a bunch of other Young Guitar magazínes for sale that also had Alexi on the cover. Did they have tabs/videos too? or just interviews?

WTF, is this backing track made with Guitar Pro? :D:D I thought it's the original one..

I hyped myself up for the studio drums + bass too and was crushed when the whacky snare hits started.

The guitar clinics with Roope from 2001, interpolated to 50fps:

Half the frames are actually exactly the same as before, the other half looks slightly blurry but oh well

Reactions: <Arcane> and Exedo
Thanks so much for all the info! I tried to find this for sale, mostly looking for the book to see the tabs for the Jani part and I came across a bunch of other Young Guitar magazínes for sale that also had Alexi on the cover. Did they have tabs/videos too? or just interviews?

I hyped myself up for the studio drums + bass too and was crushed when the whacky snare hits started.

Yeah, the backing track is lackluster, haha. Sorry about that one.

Cover issues, if they don't include him on the DVD, are mainly just interviews. There might be something about the gear used on the most recent album, but there are no lesson TABs. They might include song tabs though. If you want to, I can scan the tabs for the Jani part.
Take these with a grain of salt too, as they are not perfect

Reactions: drawnacrol
I have a few karaoke videos and am thinking about possibly bringing those in. However, these would be rather backing tracks... I've upload some on my Youtube account if you're interested.

I also have to keep checking which one we already have or which one has been posted in a better quality. So all good :)

@Exedo The only thing missing is Young Guitar 2008, or?

The Young Guitar 2008 you mean is the 100% Alexi Special video.
The other Young Guitar 2008 footage is from NAMM. There are no more Young Guitar videos of him, as far as I know (98% sure)

Reactions: <Arcane>
Yeah, the backing track is lackluster, haha. Sorry about that one.

Cover issues, if they don't include him on the DVD, are mainly just interviews. There might be something about the gear used on the most recent album, but there are no lesson TABs. They might include song tabs though. If you want to, I can scan the tabs for the Jani part.
Take these with a grain of salt too, as they are not perfect

That would be amazing! I'm going to try find an issue for sale because I'd love to have a copy. I don't know how I missed that full lesson video on youtube.

There you go, these are all the tabs from the issue

I hope the quality is okay

Thank you for sharing that! Sorry for the late reply, super busy with work. I just bought some of the Young Guitar magazines today that you have listed in your post. I managed to get the Passage to the Reaper issue, Alexi 100% and the New-Age Heroes issue you shared there. Nearly everything was available except the pink 2004 Extra issue. I also came across a full tab book with all the transcriptions from Young Guitar over the years.

The Are You Dead Yet lesson from Guitar World. The original file wasn't it that great of a quality too, but I think it's better than the one on YouTube. I have the one from Blooddrunk too, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Reactions: <Arcane> and rj rl

Anyone knows who the other Guy is?
Video should be maybe around 2013-2014, cause i see the Greeny behind Alexi.