Classical/Baroque, or just Orchestral Music in General

WarLord Aden

Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Derbyshire, England
www.myspace.com
How many people here like Orchestral Music?

..i gather it's gonna be quite a few, so:

How many people here DON'T like Orchestral Music? :p

..i absolutely love it. But mainly only the 'epic' styles. Game soundtracks i think are awesome (Age of Empires style games etc).. and i love the music from LOTR especially.

I 'respect' classical music that is like 4 hours of a solo pianist.. its highly talented etc.. but never listen to things like that really..

but anyway, what about you guys?

I am into classical, most of all Opera music. I am studying classical singing and my favourite composers are Verdi and Puccini. My favourite arias so far, which I have been studying, are "O mio babbino caro" from Puccini's "Gianni Schicchi" and "Tutte le feste" from Rigoletto. Also Giordani's "Caro mio ben" is an amazing preclassical aria.

I sometimes listen to soundtracks aswell. Most of all Hans Zimmer. And my favourite instrumental composer, piano player actually, is Chopin.

Never listened to him actually :) I'm not into soundtracks and film music that much. Actually, if there's some track or something that really gets my interest up for it, then I try to get to listen to it again. Classical music is my thing, not soundtracks :)

Ive had quite a history with classical music, from when I used to play clarinet in an orchestra years back. Most recent stuff I listen to which someone mentioned Hans Zimmer, and his counterpart on Pirates of the Carribean, Klaus Badelt. I love alot of John Williams's film scores too.

I like classical music, filmscores and such but it's been a few years since I've listened to it fulltime, so to speak. I had a pretentious period in my teens when I considered classical music to be da bomb! :) Still enjoy it but I'd rather listen to Exodus than Wagner any day :lol: I get enough bombast and epicness from my metal (Turisas, Moonsorrow and such)....

^ Wagner sucks so hard :D
Well not really, but I find italian composers much better. Plus that Wagnerian stuff is such a problem for the voice...

I like classical music, filmscores and such but it's been a few years since I've listened to it fulltime, so to speak. I had a pretentious period in my teens when I considered classical music to be da bomb! :) Still enjoy it but I'd rather listen to Exodus than Wagner any day :lol: I get enough bombast and epicness from my metal (Turisas, Moonsorrow and such)....

Yeah i agree, i would listen to metal over orchestral anyday. If i was only allowed to listen to 1 song before i died, it would definately be a metal song.. but i still love orchestral music. I wouldn't put it on and listen to it all day, i'd just prefer to listen to metal.. but when i need inspiration for my own orchestral stuff, i listen to some, and it sets me off and i feel like listening to it for hours... until i put a metal song on again :p

I absolutely love classical music especially Baroque music and Opera . Wanted to be a singer but never took the lessons and studied still I'm not that bad if I say so myself.

I tend to stick to Handel, Bach, Monteverdi that kind of thing as it suits me better I think.

Classical music. I was surprised, yet pleased to find a thread like this here.
Especially romantic music, eg Chopin, Grieg, Tschaikovsky etc. are relly something I love to listen. And if it's played with a piano, even better. I've been playing classical piano for over 10 years now, and the only thing I don't like that much is baroque music. Too "strict", technical and leaves no room for your own imagination -> the opposite imo is romantic music.

On the contrary I find the linear nature of Baroque and classical music appeals to me. You can concentrate on the harmonic and melodic progressions better. I suppose it's just personal taste at the end of the day though.

Yep, you're right also. That's why I prefer baroque music in practising, they give the "instructions" so detailed. Also some technique things are often needed, so it serves in many ways.