Clean vocals or screaming/growling/yelling?

clean or screaming/growling/yelling?

• clean

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • screaming/growling/yelling

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters
I like both as well.

It all depends though, some clean vocalists just get to the point where it's plain old boring (see Opeth - Damnation), growls are usually pretty fun as long as they aren't too stupid or "extreme".

Jean-Pierre said:
Definitely clean. I'd take Grimmett, Halford, Arch and Conklin over anyone.

My favourite non-clean singers would have to be Quorthon, Lemmy (if you consider him non-clean), Tom Angelripper, etc.
Halford is very good. But unlike you, I find Grimmett annoying, if he is who I think he is (the Onslaught vocalist on In Search of Sanity, whose vocals do not fit the music).

There should so be a both option. Considering it mostly depends on the style of the music, I dont think I can really answer this.

Life Sucks said:
(the Onslaught vocalist on In Search of Sanity, whose vocals do not fit the music).

Hey, you're not in the minority. But I personally love it when Trad/80's Metal vocals are mixed with some Thrash, I can't get enough of the contrast.

You'd like him with his main band, Grim Reaper. Classic Metal from the NWOBHM crowd.

Jean-Pierre said:
Hey, you're not in the minority. But I personally love it when Trad/80's Metal vocals are mixed with some Thrash, I can't get enough of the contrast.

You'd like him with his main band, Grim Reaper. Classic Metal from the NWOBHM crowd.
I'll check grim reaper out. Such vocals would indeed fit with NWOBHM or power metal.

I find it to be harder to achieve a great growl rather than a good singing voice, but I may be wrong. As long as the clean vox aren't whiny or over-the-top cheesy I'll like it. However, deep, gutteral growls and raw/harsh vocals win.

Christie_fell said:
I find it to be harder to achieve a great growl rather than a good singing voice, but I may be wrong.

I'd say...you're wrong. It's much easier for me to growl or scream (which I can do) than it is to sing well (which I can't - but I wish I could).

Jean-Pierre said:
I'd say...you're wrong. It's much easier for me to growl or scream (which I can do) than it is to sing well (which I can't - but I wish I could).

It's much harder to have a range with growled vocals. The range of most growlers in most bands is about equal to the clean singing range of the guy from Godsmack. And there's also the fact that the harsh vocals require a certain amount of controlled scarring on the throat or vocal chords to even be possible.

Jean-Pierre said:
Pfffft, easier for me to sing than growl, but I guess having testicles gives you the advantage, eh?