Cover Me!

Nov 15, 2003
Cotter, Ar
www.freewebs.com
Well, we are all here because we like cover bands and tunes, so how about we sound off on what our favorite cover songs are? Here goes...

Seal and Jeff Beck-Manic Depression
Megadeth-Paranoid
Primus-NIB
MOD-Colour My World (some of the worst vocals I've ever loved)
Jack-off Jill-I touch myself (duh, I'm a guy!)
Metallica-Loverman
Johnny Cash-Rusty Cage
David Lee Roth-Just a Gigilo (dammit its just so fun to sing along!)
Wrathchild America-Time
Just about anything Weird Al did...
SR71-Whip It
Whoever did the instumental cover of "Paint it Black" (80's shredder I believe)
Def Tones-Turning Japanese

Oooh, I love alot of Metallica ones!!

Turn The Page (Bob Seger)
Astronomy (Blue Oyster Cult)
Whiskey In The Jar (Thin Lizzy)
Last Caress (The Misfits)
So What (The Anti-Nowhere League)
The Wait (Killing Joke)

And the list goes on and on.... ;)

But I also love

Bruce Dickinson - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ugly Kid Joe - Cat's In The Cradle/N.I.B/Sweet Leaf
Megadeth - Paranoid
Pantera - Planet Caravan

Ok, why are they all Sabbath tunes bar one???? Oh well!! :D

Speaking of cover bands, has anyone seen the documentary on Showtime called "Tribute"? They follow around some Tribute bands who cover KISS, Queen, Judas Priest (they talk about Ripper Owens getting that gig!), the Beatles, the Monkees and I think that's all. Yeah, if you all have a chance to watch it, it's pretty intense. The KISS story is tragic.

I like Bruce on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Pantera on Planet Caravan. Powerful renditions!! :headbang: :headbang:

MAIDEN67 said:
Speaking of cover bands, has anyone seen the documentary on Showtime called "Tribute"? They follow around some Tribute bands who cover KISS, Queen, Judas Priest (they talk about Ripper Owens getting that gig!), the Beatles, the Monkees and I think that's all. Yeah, if you all have a chance to watch it, it's pretty intense. The KISS story is tragic.
I saw that! Ya, that guy in the KISS tribute got pretty wigged out! Then that other guy was both a Beatle and a Monkey! Pretty interesting doc!

I've heard that Van Halen used to do a killer cover of Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death. I have a bootleg CD of them doing a bunch of covers, but not that one.

Somewhere I have bootleg of Soundgarden doing Spinal Tap's Big Bottom and Iron Maiden doing ZZ Top's Tush.

The whole Pat Boone CD, especially Holy Diver.

I also have The Fabulous Bud E. Luv doing all Ozzy stuff lounge style.

Queensryche's cover of Scarborough Fair is pretty cool.

Any of Therion's cover tunes are well done, especially the female duet doing Accept's Sea Winds.

Icycore's rendition of Savatage's Gutter Ballet is realy good. You can download that one at www.icycore.com.

Heir Apparent's Sounds of Silence (You gals remember my friend Terry from the Seattle show).

I'll have to mull this over a bit more...

deftones - sade's no ordinary love
slayer - 85% of undisputed attitude
system of a down - berlin's the metro
marilyn manson - soft cell's tainted love

I love Racer X's cover of David Bowie's "Moon Age Day Dream" :Spin:

We heard another band covering this next door to us at rehearsal tonight and it reminded me of this classic rendition! Must go dig out................ :loco:

What about :

Annihilator - Hell bent for leather
Opeth - Remember tomorrow
Testament - Rapid fire
Devin Towsands and co. - Wrathchild
Sonata Artica - Fade to black
Sonata Artica - Die with your boots on
Sonata Artica - I want out

It's not that I'm a huge Sonata Artica's music - they just know how to deal with cover songs...

Oh - and some more :

Nevermore - Love bites
Blind guardian - Beyond the realms of death
Agent steel - Beyond the realms of death
Iced Earth - The ripper
Iced Earth - Electric funeral
(All the Iced Earth covers are great - but mostly those from the Melenacholy EP, instead of the Tribute to the gods)
Bathory - Ace of spades
Megadeth - No more mister nice guy
Darkane - Powerslave
In flames - Eye of the beholder

Bruce Dickinson (/w Montserrat) - Bohemian Rhapsody
Fozzy - The Prisoner
Fozzy - Where Eagles Dare
Iron Maiden - Doctor Doctor
Iron Maiden - I've Got the Fire
Iron Maiden - My Generation
Iron Maiden - Roll Over Vic Vella (well, if you consider this a cover)
Sonata Arctica - Die With Your Boots On
Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black
Wolf - Don't Fear the Reaper

Ozzy - Stayin' Alive
Metallica - Stone Cold Crazy
Lizzy Borden - Live and Let Die
X - Wild Thing
Iron Maiden - Women In Uniform
Lenny Kravitz - American Woman
Megadeth - Anarchy In The U.K.
Quiot Riot - Cum on Feel The Noize (yes belive it or not originaly a Slade song)
Motley Crue - Helter Skelter
U2 - Helter Skelter
David Lee Roth - Just a Gigalo
Twisted Sister - Leader of the Pack
and I have to agree with Alan on Queensryches - Scarborough Fair

Oh, and I can't help but add this one...

William Shatner - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

alanbirdsell said:
In a reverse cover tune... anyone heard the original Fleetwood Mac version of The Green Manilishi with the Two Prong Crown? Trippy stuff!
<**DELURK**>You want trippy? Check out the original version of "Motorhead" by Hawkwind then follow that with Lemmy and Co's version. Come to think of it, follow it with 2 hours of Motorhead!!! :headbang: You would dig Hawkwind, not only was Lemmy in the band but so was one of the greatest authors of sci-fi/fantasy, Michael Moorcock, for a bit on guitar. Big influence on the BOC crew too. <**LURK**>

metalord said:
<**DELURK**>You want trippy? Check out the original version of "Motorhead" by Hawkwind then follow that with Lemmy and Co's version. Come to think of it, follow it with 2 hours of Motorhead!!! :headbang: You would dig Hawkwind, not only was Lemmy in the band but so was one of the greatest authors of sci-fi/fantasy, Michael Moorcock, for a bit on guitar. Big influence on the BOC crew too. <**LURK**>
I have a fair amount of Hawkwind, including the Chronicles of the Black Sword... studio and live. I have "Motorhead" on vinyl downstairs somewhere. Also do you remember that guy that owned Strawberry Jams here in Spokane where we'd get records on road trips? The guy who looked like Robert Plant? He's a big Hawkwind fan and also wrote a song they covered... Out of Shadows. Somewhere I have his and their version.

Remember "Metal Breakfast" on KUGR? We'd call in and request Motorhead at 6:00 in the morning? "Love you like a reptile...." :headbang: