Crush

Rider of Theli

The Hellequin
Mar 1, 2004
Hiram, Ga
myspace.com
TAMPA, FLA. (AP) - Former pro wrestling champion Brian 'Crush' Adams died Monday after he was found unconscious in his home. He was 44.

170px-Demolition_3.jpg

'Crush' is on the far right as part of the team Demolition in the heyday of the early/mid-90's WWE

He showed no visible signs of injury and foul play was not suspected, police spokeswoman Janelle McGregor said. Authorities were awaiting autopsy results from the medical examiner before proceeding with their investigation.
Adams' wife, who was not identified, found her husband not breathing and called 911 about 11 a.m. Fire Rescue workers later pronounced him dead, McGregor said.
Adams, a former world tag team champion, last performed for the World Wrestling Federation in 2001 and served intermittently on the roster beginning in 1990, World Wrestling Entertainment said. WWE spokesman George Cabico had no further comment.

This is some sad news that will further fuel the recent controversy revolving around the murder/suicide of Chris Benoit and family.

Being an old-school wrestling fan, I hate to know that so many of the greats have died at a relatively young age over the past dozen years. And yes, I realize and understand that many of the deaths have been drug/alcohol related. But still...

:erk:

He was the original Demon, but then Dale Torborg took over that gimmick. He then wrestled with Bryan Clarke in the tag team KroniK.

There NEEDS to be a Congressional investigation on all this. They went after baseball because of steroids. Why not pro wrestling? The only thing in baseball that steroids affected is the fact that a midget can hit the ball out of Turner Field, and break through one of the drumheads hanging in Glenn's house.

However, pro wrestlers have DIED. The list is littered with the dead due to drugs: Eddie Guerrero, Brian Pillman, Ray "Big Bossman" Traylor, Bam Bam Bigelow, Rick Rude and the list goes on and on. If Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa died, Congress would be screaming. Why the silence here?

Peace,
Ray C.

Steroids are not the issue in profressional wrestling deaths. Many wrestlers get addicted to pain killers because of the multiple injurys they sustain and have to live with the pain because they can't afford to take time off to heal. Most wrestling deaths are linked to pain killer abuse.

The lack of investigation also probably has to do with the fact that Wrestling - while it takes athletic talent and strength and stamina - is not really a sport, because it has a script. It's more like a soap opera than anything else, just with people beating the crap out of one another. (I know I'm going to catch hell from all the wrestling fans for saying that, but it's pretty true when it comes to the "Pro Wrestling" you see on TV.)

It's a form of entertainment, same as sports are to most Americans, but the TV and music industries don't typically receive the same scrutiny from congress that most pro sports do. You don't see Congress investigating all of Hollywood and every music artist because folks like Chris Farley and Jimmy Hendrix died.

The lack of investigation also probably has to do with the fact that Wrestling - while it takes athletic talent and strength and stamina - is not really a sport, because it has a script. It's more like a soap opera than anything else, just with people beating the crap out of one another. (I know I'm going to catch hell from all the wrestling fans for saying that, but it's pretty true when it comes to the "Pro Wrestling" you see on TV.)

It's a form of entertainment, same as sports are to most Americans, but the TV and music industries don't typically receive the same scrutiny from congress that most pro sports do. You don't see Congress investigating all of Hollywood and every music artist because folks like Chris Farley and Jimmy Hendrix died.

But Hendrix and Farley did not use drugs to look like King Kong, either. How do you think some of these guys are developing carttonlike features? It definitely is not from the gym, which can add SOME bulk with a chiseled physique, but not the cartoonish figures you are getting in the ring.

And, about the painkillers: Gee, why did greats like Lou Thesz, Vern Gagne, Buddy Rogers, Johnny Valentine, Fritz von Erich, ...shall I keep going? Live to a ripe old age? Didn't they get dropped on their heads, or have them "split" open, as well? Didn't they have to drive themselves to every backwater gym for matches, where today's stars are flown Business Class? This is not about painkillers. This is about the abuse of anabolic steroids.

And, it is literally killing the sport.

Yeap huge wrestling fan here. WWE/WWF/TNA/ECW/WCW/WCCW etc etc.

I been watching wrestling since I was a kid (I'm 34 now), and have followed it almost religiously. Theres definately a steroid problem that is slowly killing this business!

Ok well not only steroids but the overuse of hormone type pills. Anyone can see that you dont get huge (like Lashley, Cena etc) w/o some type of Hormone use. Remember when HHH was Hunter Hearst Helmsley the CT snob? Look at his pics then compared to now. Its just like Barry Bonds. You can work out all ya want, but it aint gonna add that kind of thickness to your neck, legs, etc.

I'll always be an avid fan but all these recent deaths one after another is just sad.

There NEEDS to be a Congressional investigation on all this.

No there doesn't. Wrestling is a freakshow and Congress coming down on it will make it look like they're all law-and-order and things, but come on, pro wrestling should not even be a concern on a national lawmaking level. If anything, there needs to be a congressional investigation about why law enforcement isn't on top of pro wrestling.

I mean, possessing any of the cocktail of drugs that kill pro wrestlers is illegal without a prescription, right?

... writing bogus prescriptions is illegal, right?

These deaths have been happening for years, and all these people and their unnatural bodies are on national television being seen by millions of people for hours every week, right?

So what the hell?

States which regulate wrestling are a total joke. They collect tax money. That's all they do. Some require physicals, but aside from that, they do not protect anybody.

You expect wrestling to be pressured to regulate itself? Pro wrestling is a con man's game, the domain of thieves, thugs, liars, and murderers, and has been for at least 150 years now.

People willingly enter this business, filling themselves up with all sorts of chemicals and understanding at the beginning that their success is entirely dependent on how much some guy in the office likes you. And the office knows this, and knows that aside from the current top guy or two, every single body is replaceable and there are literally a few thousand guys out there willing to do more for less money just for a shot at fame and fortune.

The only way you clean up wrestling by outside enforcement is by getting rid of it, which I don't think should happen.

The only way you clean up wrestling from within is for there to be financial and/or political advantage to being clean. Promoting guys that don't have The Look, intentionally de-pushing guys that have that party reputation. Who's going to do that? And for that to impact the entire industry, they'd have to become the dominant company on the planet. Good luck.

Hal9000 said:
Steroids are not the issue in profressional wrestling deaths.

Steroids are not the only issue, but they are an issue. Enlarged hearts were a factor in several deaths (Davey Boy Smith, Road Warrior Hawk, and Eddy Guerrero for starters) and that's a sign of heavy steroid use.

Not that it's involved in the Crush case, but some of you might be interested. Best source of info (you will not find a better researched or more comprehensive source anywhere) on the Benoit case:
http://www.georgiawrestlinghistory.com/benoit-astin-steroids-wwe/home.html

hey Jim, thanks for the insight and information. As always, my friend - You ROCK! :headbang:

on another note, I found a local wrestling organization based out of Villa Rica, GA through the link you provided above. I went last night and checked them out. We had a lot of fun and saw a couple of familiar old-school faces. I'll post some pics soon.

Meanwhile for anyone in the west Georgia area, check out the Southern Extreme Championship Wrestling site. And come on out to the matches! It made for some great entertainment on an otherwise dull Sunday evening. :)

WHOOOOOO!!! :headbang:

Yeap huge wrestling fan here. WWE/WWF/TNA/ECW/WCW/WCCW etc etc.

I been watching wrestling since I was a kid (I'm 34 now), and have followed it almost religiously. Theres definately a steroid problem that is slowly killing this business!

Ok well not only steroids but the overuse of hormone type pills. Anyone can see that you dont get huge (like Lashley, Cena etc) w/o some type of Hormone use. Remember when HHH was Hunter Hearst Helmsley the CT snob? Look at his pics then compared to now. Its just like Barry Bonds. You can work out all ya want, but it aint gonna add that kind of thickness to your neck, legs, etc.

I'll always be an avid fan but all these recent deaths one after another is just sad.

Hell, look at McMahon. I don't believe for a second that he's natural. When the owner himself is taking steroids, it's hard to believe there will ever be any real enforcing of an anti steroid policy.