Death Metal 2006

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I pretty much stopped listening to death metal for a few years, but 2006 has had some great releases.

The new Zyklon finally shows the promise I thought this band would have.

The new Cannibal Corpse is just excellent. It reminds me of all the fun I had listening to these guys as a wee lad.

The new Yyrkoon is great. It kind of feels epic, but the songs are short and too the point. Lots of great solos, riffs, and they build into a tempo change rather than just switching on a dime.

Anybody agree with these? Anybody have some too add? Anybody wanna see my penis?

Dont really care about any of those. Last year had some solid releases. I am looking forward to the new Necrophobic, though.

The new Cannibal Corpse is just excellent. It reminds me of all the fun I had listening to these guys as a wee lad.

this CD is fucking ace ... dare I say it is my fave from them ... its the goddamn production that just puts this over the top ... just FAT chunky Death Metal

It seems Arghoslent will release somethwing new sometime this year which will probably be utterly awesome. Other than that, I guess the new Bolt Thrower and Dismember are pretty solid, though I haven't heard them yet

Arghoslent is probably pretty much the only death metal band short of a full Edge of Sanity reunion that could hold my interest in 2006. Haven't been in the mood for this music in years, which sucks because I used to like it a lot.

lurch70 said:
this CD is fucking ace ... dare I say it is my fave from them ... its the goddamn production that just puts this over the top ... just FAT chunky Death Metal

IMO it doesn't really compare to their old shit like "Tomb Of The Mutilated" and "Butchered At Birth". I also think that some of the Corpsegrinder era albums are better ("Gallery Of Suicide", for instance). It's still got too many of those weird semi-technical moments that just seem out of place on a CC disc (for instance the "chorus" on "Necrosadistic Warning"). They are at their very best when they just groove and kick ass, like they do on "The Time To Kill Is Now" and "Make Them Suffer".

I do agree that 2006 is an extremely exciting year when it comes to DM. Some of my favourite DM releases thus far:

Abysmal Torment - Epoch Of Methodic Carnage
Aeternus - HexAeon (ignore the naysayers - although this brings nothing new to the table, it's still high quality DM with the good ol' Aeternus atmosphere intact)
Benighted - Identisick (I can see Lurch and Nate digging this one)
Bloodthorn - Genocide (blackened death)
Carnivore Diprosopus - Madhouse's Macabre Acts
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis ("Day 69" and "Post (?) Organic" are song of the year contenders, although this release isn't worthy of even licking Nihility's boots)
Dismember - The God That Never Was (cheesy solo fun DM galore!)
Drawn And Quartered - Hail Infernal Darkness (Incantation meets Immolation, check it out or eat a trout)
Lust Of Decay - Purity Through Dismemberment
Saprogenic - Ichneumonid

Defeated Sanity, Inveracity, Spawn Of Possession, Suffocation, Vader, Unmerciful, Incantation, Malevolent Creation and a shitload of other cool bands are also going to release new records this year :kickass:

i've heard some stuff about drawn and quartered, was actually looking for a sample too...it sounds pretty good, not sure if it's buy-worthy though, i have a long list :dopey: