Death Metal

It's been interesting re-visiting the early Suffocation albums. I really enjoyed Effigy back in my teen years, as well as Souls to Deny. I'm not sure if I owned Pierced but I may have had it on that 2 from the vault series. I don't remember listening to it much/enjoying it if I did. As expected, I still enjoy Effigy (though it has some rough lyrics in places for me now). I'm also digging Souls to Deny because even though it's a bit more streamlined and simplified I'm just a sucker for big dumb grooves. The surprise has been Breeding the Spawn. I don't remember if I listened to it back in the day but I think it's already my favorite now. It retains a lot of the groove/breakdowns from Effigy while adding more of the technicality and funky ninja bass from Pierced. I got off to a rough start with Pierced but it has grown on me a lot through several listens. It's denser and at first I felt like it was all over the place. Now I feel like I'm understanding the song structures better and I'm really digging a lot of the tracks. The first half+ of the album is crazy awesome. I think it gets a little bogged down towards the end (the two new songs on the back half are weaker to me - especially Brood of Hatred), but it's a great album overall - probably second in their discography.

I've been spending some time exploring the new Death Metal bands since seeing Gatecreeper. I definitely have an old-school bias with Metal in general and just assume new bands are gonna be faggotry but there are some that are really keeping the torch burning. Molder convinced me of that and Gatecreeper's performance really piqued my curiosity. So, aside from jamming the Gatecreeper album I have and exploring their other stuff I've also looked into Frozen Soul, Undeath, Obscene, and Creeping Death. I was already a bit familiar with Morbific, Skeletal Remains, and Mortuous and have seen the latter two live with Left to Die. I looked into a few others that didn't seem to be my bag.

The ones that I'm really liking thus far are Molder, Frozen Soul, Gatecreeper, Undeath, and Morbific. Obscene and Creeping Death are a bit below but that could change. The new Obscene album is a huge improvement over the first one which I did check out sometime earlier this year I think. I need to spend more time with Skeletal Remains and Mortuous because their stuff hasn't gripped me as much even though I've been familiar with them longer.

Really digging the early Bolt Thrower influence here:

Same thing with "The Bleeding" here:

Reactions: CiG
I have trouble getting into either of those bands. At first I liked Frozen Soul a lot but when that album dropped it dawned on me just how boring they were. To me they're like Bolt Thrower but stripped of all energy and personality.

As I'm listening to that track there are so many killer moments of utter heaviness but I just know if I throw the whole album on it's not gonna maintain that feeling throughout.

The new Undeath album is easily their best material and I probably even prefer it to Frozen Soul even though I like Bolt Thrower more than Cannibal Corpse. However the album itself didn't strike a chord with me, I need to revisit it and really give it a chance. The material rules.

I have trouble getting into either of those bands. At first I liked Frozen Soul a lot but when that album dropped it dawned on me just how boring they were. To me they're like Bolt Thrower but stripped of all energy and personality.

As I'm listening to that track there are so many killer moments of utter heaviness but I just know if I throw the whole album on it's not gonna maintain that feeling throughout.

The new Undeath album is easily their best material and I probably even prefer it to Frozen Soul even though I like Bolt Thrower more than Cannibal Corpse. However the album itself didn't strike a chord with me, I need to revisit it and really give it a chance. The material rules.

I dunno man. Crypt of Ice is full of bangers.

WRAP THE NOOSE. TIE UP THE ROPE. TWIST THE KNIFE INTO THEIR THROAT.

I can't imagine how dumb I would act hearing this live.

Now you’re left to
FACE THE WRAITH
You EMBRACE DISGRACE
As you FACE THE WRAITH
You EMBRACE DISGRACE, the moment arrives
for you to face the wraith of death

Now my old ass is moshing and getting chucked onto the stage.

The new Undeath is lightyears ahead of the first album which I think is just OK.

I'm digging Skeletal Remains more now that I listened to the first album. I like it a lot more than the newest one which was the only one I'd owned previously. The debut is more old school - riffier and less dense. Strong Death/Pestilence vibes.

I've also cooled on the Suppression album a little bit. It's a little more on the dissonant side than I enjoy. I like the EP a bit more.

Last edited:
tbf most of the regs are sound with good taste, we’ve kept the rym hipsters out of that thread for the most part. it’s just like three very vocal annoying people lately.

he said he was 'winding down his message board presence because it no longer fulfils him' or some shit lol

and yeah the annoying thing about sepulcrustacean is he's one of the more tasteful and knowledgeable people on there and i've discovered some really good stuff through him, that shit is so obnoxious though and he does it all the time. he rated every arghoslent 0.5 and then tried to claim it had nothing to do with their politics lmao. delete_the_whole_catalog (dude from zealotry) is another one who used to love rating stuff 0.5 for political reasons but he seems to have cut it out now.