Devin Townsend recording tips

Kewl info.
On a side note - kinda kewl that he uses Logic - even if it is a small bit.
Maybe I could get him to buy a video ..... :saint:
(not like he needs it .... probably wouldn't dig 'em anyhow!)

But still - that was a fun read.
Thanks for posting, XnaySaturo
:kickass:

Scott

Interesting about the boosts at 12-16KHz.
I can see it as useful for boosting maybe overly dark guitar tones, but otherwise I'm of the opinion (and so are many others) that much above 7KHz is not particularly useful to the guitar tone and indeed, nor to the mix as a whole if you've got a good tone happening from the source.
I guess people just perceive tone differently and I'm more of a fan of somewhat darker tones with the fizz very much highly under control (Paramore, Killswitch Engage, BTBAM's Colors album, VersaEmerge etc)

Yup, engineering, not mixing.

I figured, I was answering about the tracking part though.

It's an interesting video.

EDIT: Nevermind, he must have only tracked the bass/guitars

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtR1vbiYYc8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck...I wish every fucking drummer had Gene Hoglans attitude about nailing drum tracks.....fuck triggers and fixing it later...nail that shit!!!

Oh, I guarentee them kicks are triggered... I don't know of many (if any) major metal drums that don't trigger them...

the fixing it later part is a different story.. no real need to "fix" gene's stuff

If you watch the videos posted above they say that there was only very minimal editing (i.e. correcting mistriggers). So yes, in all likelihood triggers form some part of the drum sound.

true.. but he triggers it live.. so why not use it in the studio

He replaces the kick and snare on Alien, if Dev is a reliable source.

What I want to know is what synths does Dev use on Logic?
I'm getting Logic first thing tomorrow.

Bit of semantical confusion happening.. ?

Whether you use the thing called a trigger or another process, the word 'triggered' still correctly describes what's happening.

In the liner notes for the Strapping 'best of' cd that came out a few years back, Gene said he wasn't happy with his snare sound on Alien except for on 'Zen' which makes me think its not replaced on that track, but is on the others. I asked him about triggers and he said he only likes using them on kick, and only blended with the original to get a balance, but obviously he may not have a ton of say in what the mix engineer will do later on record.