diggin' on reaper

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
so i had a few spare hours and messed around with reaper

i have to say, im really diggin on it, talk about efficient! can't say i love the editing work flow yet, as i prefer mouse tools, but i could get used to it given i learned how to do similair things in pt...

anyone have any tips for time stretching work flow? it doesnt have anything like "warp markers", but its so efficient with its editing capabilities it seems i could really throw a ton of stretching at it and it would be just fine (it allows you to stretch any "region")

it uses good algo's

but anyways, im trying to figure out a few things such as, is the amplitude data preserved at the beginning and end of an edit so no glitching between slices... this is really important when time stretching via slice-method ... sorta like if you had zero crossing turned on in cubase and only cut on zero spots, except im talking about cutting anywhere and the amplitude data is preserved at sample position between the slices after stretching...

also, is it better to crossfade before or after, or does it not matter in reaper?

these questions are aimed at experienced users, this stuff usually isnt very apparent to "surface" users.

Joey do you have Skype? Not to toot my own horn but I probably know more about Reaper than pretty much anyone who doesn't work for Cockos :lol: so if you need a hand with anything at all let me know. I'm free pretty often to voice over Skype and do some screen sharing or whatever. Reaper is SUPER powerful and I know you like custom actions/macros and Reaper is the best DAW going when it comes to that stuff. You can create pretty much any workflow you want and make it efficient as hell.

PS. Reaper does have mouse tools, and you can build the tools to do absolutely anything at all. Here's a video of me using a scissors tool ;)

http://screencast.com/t/YzI0YTkwND

The other option is to create actions that work under the mouse cursor instead of the edit cursor, so you can just hover your mouse somewhere and press a key to perform your split for example. Basically the same as a mouse tool except the mouse button is on the keyboard instead of the mouse ;) What tools are you using besides the split tool? I'm a PT guy so tools have never really been a part of my workflow but I'm sure I could help you come up with a workflow you love in Reaper. Since Reaper 3.45 I have been able to edit much faster in Reaper than even in Pro Tools and Pro Tools was always the king for the way I like to edit.

Reaper is already very "Cubase" by default in a lot of ways so if you wanted to give it a real shot I'm sure you could get it to do all the things you like about Cubase, as well as the things you may have liked about PT. Reaper is NOT a DAW for people who want to just adopt the default workflow, it only really shines in the hands of someone with a lot of real world workflow experience who is willing to put in a bit of time to customize the program to behave the way you want, but once you do that it absolutely cannot be beat IMO.

.It`s been almost two weeks since my Reaper obsession began.I still work in Cubase and use it as my main DAW(I`m even using a Cubase theme in reaper:)) but I`m considering to do more and more stuff with Reaper.I like its routing capabilities,and it took some time before i figured it how to make group or fx chanel tracks but now its working like charm. Anyway thumbs up for Reaper:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:There will be some questions coming from me in future so be prepared.:lol::lol:

Welcome in Reaper. It's sometimes strange at first, but there are many little things in it so practical that you end loving it. First time I opened it, I hated it and came back to Cubase. One year later, I fell in love with it. I have never been a hardcore user as you can be Joey, but I guess it may be the same for you.

I'm currently really interested in all that workflow enhancement in Reaper these days. I think tomorrow will be Reaper-day for me.

.It`s been almost two weeks since my Reaper obsession began.I still work in Cubase and use it as my main DAW(I`m even using a Cubase theme in reaper:)) but I`m considering to do more and more stuff with Reaper.I like its routing capabilities,and it took some time before i figured it how to make group or fx chanel tracks but now its working like charm. Anyway thumbs up for Reaper:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:There will be some questions coming from me in future so be prepared.:lol::lol:

Move your cursor to the spot on the grid that you want to snip and press "S" - then grab the edge of the item you want to time strech, press "alt" and then while you're holding in the alt key drag your mouse to the right. There you go - you just time stretched an item.

You can also change your pitch shifting algo in project settings - I always use Elastique Pro.

no to be honest, i the only thing i don't like about reaper is

1.i don't like editing drums in it, though it can be done very quickly and nicely
2.Autotune evo graph mode does not work in reaper, untill they get that fixed its fucked

Just make a midi send to the autotune track, and play the notes you want on your keyboard/click them out. It looks preferable to me, at least.

I've been playing around in it - I dig it, but there are some workflow things I cannot vibe with at all. The inability to use the keypad to change mouse tools (like to a scissor or pencil tool) kills things, and not being able to swap the left/right click for time selection and region selection throws me off. Cubase still rules the roost for me, but I think by V4 Reaper might be tits.