Do Opeth have day-jobs?

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Probably another stupid noob question from me, but if you don't ask you never gain any knowledge.
So, do the Opeth guys have day jobs? I only ask because someone posted here a few days back saying they did, and I saw an interview with Peter saying he was still at college (that was an older interview admittedly).
I want to know because I mentioned Opeth on the Metallica BB as an "Underground" band and someone said they're not - but if they still have day jobs they cant be that fucking popular!

Bye. o_O

I know that up until recently Mike worked in a records store, all the other guys had school on their hands, and some jobs too I guess. But with their current schedule since the release of Deliverance I'm guessing touring has been their "day job". Mike as the writer of the music gets royalties on the sales on cd's so he's a bit better off, but they all earn their money off the shows this year. I'm guessing they are not doing too bad these days, since they constantly sell out shows and play like 3-5 shows a week.

sf.

Mikael shares the publishing rights 50/50 with the band so, in his words, they can "keep going". He worked in a record store, I believe, right up through Blackwater Park. The 50/50 split means, I assume anyway, that he gets half and the other three guys split the other half between them. Publishing rights produce more money than record sales, though these days I should think they are at least doing well. Plus, yeah, I think they are making good dough on the tours.

He used to work at "mellotronen" in gamla stan (old town) here in stockholm. I actually met him outside of that store once, he played damnation in their stereo, a couple of weeks before the realease.

So...Esa holopainen of Amorphis works at a record store as well. I think they´re some sort of part-timers.

Yes he does, works in Spinecentre in Helsinki, but he also a part owner of the store.

Think about everyone here.
I hope everyone at least OWNS some Opeth merchandise...some people own even their whole cd catalog.
All that money going towards their records does find its way back to them :D
I heard it works out that way.

I read somewhere (forgot where) that Mikael is struggling, but he is doing better than the others because he writes the music. He also said that he tries his best to help out the other guys too. I didn't know he split 50/50 though.

Anyways you could say I didn't talk about anything so new so post qualifies as spam. \m/

I am curious...

Don't all Swedish citizens have to commit for 2 years of military duty?

Does that mean that Mikael and Peter could kick my ass any day? :p

segaszivos said:
I am curious...

Don't all Swedish citizens have to commit for 2 years of military duty?

Does that mean that Mikael and Peter could kick my ass any day? :p

I think that's the Swiss.

I read too that he splits his bonus with the band. But it's for songwriting, not publishing. The songwriter gets most of the money from sales (well, compared with the other bandmembers. I have no idea what a producer gets, especially when the band produces partially themselves), but Mikael gives them half of that. So he still gets more since he did most of the work writing it, but keeping all of it would be selfish in that situation.

there is an interview that goes over all of that, people said most of it already. I wondered about the day job thing too, obviously they must not have for the past two years or so because of constant tours..

I've read things by quite a few bands though where the members have day jobs whenever the band isn't touring because thats the only way to make enough money, and that same interview mikael does talk about how poor they were for a long time.

All that just makes me pissed at cheap manufactured bands that become hits overnight and even if they never do anything else make more money in a few years then bands that do a lifetime of work.