Does ANYONE here know ANYTHING about...

BigJim

Feb 12, 2006
...ADATs?!?! I need to know if it's possible to connect an ADAT to a sound card using ONLY a fibre optic cable & NO additional software. (Black Face ADAT & Tascam FW-1804)

Ooooh thats a tough one. Well I looked up to see what an ADAT was on wikipedia, cos i hadnt heard of them... so yeh. Since they are an analog device I think it may be a little harder to do this, but i'm not sure cos i dont know anything about the internal workings of the machine. As long as you have an output jack which you can stream the recording from, then you should be able to hook that up to the computer just the same as you would hook up a guitar to the line in port. The main problem would be the inbetween phase between the ADAT and the soundcard....... since they probably arent designed to interact you may need some sort of preamp stage inbetween to help with impedance matching or things like this. ALSO you might want to check to see if the output peak voltage of the ADAT is within the acceptable range of the soundcard since they are obviously 2 things that are quite different.

Not too sure mate, sry about that. You might want to ask Kenneth cos I think he's doin audio engineering. KENNETH!!!!!! Are you there???