Does/has anyone here re-amped with mbox 2?

dan weapon

Planet Smasher
Nov 14, 2005
Aberdeen
www.myspace.com
If so, I have a (possibly ridiculously stupid) question....

I'm probably going to be upgrading to the 003 rack soon, but for the time being I'll be using the trusty old mbox2.
I've just bought a radial x-amp and want to start re-amping ASAP, so:

Obviously the output from the mbox goes to the input of the x-amp, which I assumed would be via a XLR to XLR cable.

However, the mbox only has two 1/4inch mono outputs, a left and a right.

Would I be right in saying you would connect the mbox2 to the x-amp with a 1/4inch jack to male XLR cable via just the L (or R) mono output??

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

if you can get one, try using a balanced (stereo) Jack to XLR, will reduce any chance of phase issues, just like using an XLR to XLR

Yeah, "stereo" is a bit of a misnomer here, cuz in this case it's balanced mono (same jacks and cable though, TRS/XLR)

Done it myself with an Mbox 2. Only things to watch out for:

Make sure you pan the DI to one side and the rest of the mix to the other (or change the outputs in Pro Tools)

You might find the level coming out of the reamp box a little low due to the Mbox output being unbalanced. Turning the level up a bit on the tubescreamer will sort this easily though.

Done it myself with an Mbox 2. Only things to watch out for:

Make sure you pan the DI to one side and the rest of the mix to the other (or change the outputs in Pro Tools)

You might find the level coming out of the reamp box a little low due to the Mbox output being unbalanced. Turning the level up a bit on the tubescreamer will sort this easily though.

But if you sum via a mono bus, you haven't to do that.
Btw, it's simply an hypothesis idea but in case you don't sum via a mono bus, (but only use 2 bus with hard pan for route DI through wanted outpout) change pan law didn't negate level mistmatch for use unbalanced out?
Just an idea...

if you can get one, try using a balanced (stereo) Jack to XLR, will reduce any chance of phase issues, just like using an XLR to XLR

Did you notice an extreme volume drop from going from unbalanced to balanced?

(Edit) Problem solved, solder wrong pin on XLR

Don't put anything on the other channel because the Mbox has some crosstalk.
At least mine has. I'm using a MBox2 Pro at the moment to make some acoustical measurements and if I send a sweep to the left channel and the monitor is off I will hear it very very low on the right channel.

i mentioned using stereo as its balanced and therefore won't cause any latency, if you can get a balanced Mono-jack to XLR, then that'll do nicely...