Dream Theater

It's the best potential hit song they've ever written I think, but unfortunately for them, most DT fans don't care about a hit song, and most non-DT fans don't care about DT enough to care about a hit song by them either...

It's the best potential hit song they've ever written I think, but unfortunately for them, most DT fans don't care about a hit song, and most non-DT fans don't care about DT enough to care about a hit song by them either...

Yo, progmetal...can you please give me a brief synopsis of the Scenes From a Memory storyline? Thanks.

Looked it up on Wikipedia...thanks!

I still dont have Scenes from a Memory so a few easy questions

Isnt that Metropolis part II ?
if so did Myung write the lyrics for that as well ?

as I sit here, I think "what the hell... I dont even remember what Metropolis was about" learning to live, is all that comes to mind.... Ill have to dig out the old cassette again someday, Im sure I cant read the print anymore though........ LOL

I did love that song, it really stood out, but funny thing was others I turned onto DT always bitched about how the song just went on and on...... I just said, "yea...... but what a trip"

That is correct, JM wrote only Fatal Tragedy on Metropolis II, but he didn't write those for Metropolis I, that was Petrucci, the only songs JM has wrote the lyrics for are Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears and Fatal Tragedy. All brilliant songs I must add, I wish he'd get back into the lyric writing...

Learning to live is an awesome song, I put the tape in yesterday. I had forgotten that whole side was Metropolis.... somehow and that Learning to Live was the grand finale so to speak. That whole recording really is the most inspiring overall in my listening history... seriously... I was all but doing flips. Made most everything else seem so elementary.

Saw them here in Finland mainly because Symphony X was warming them and I wanted to see Symphony X! :kickass:

I ACTUALLY fell a sleep during Dream Theater. I don't like the singer either :erk: and when it comes to Petrucci, I like his stuff, minus the solos... he only has a couple great solos (like the one in Under a Glass Moon, it's freaking amazing). Overall I don't like them much, only like 10 kickass songs... and Rudess' solos were awful live! Of course I have certain amount of respect towards them, but I think they are a bit overrated.

That is correct, JM wrote only Fatal Tragedy on Metropolis II, but he didn't write those for Metropolis I, that was Petrucci, the only songs JM has wrote the lyrics for are Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears and Fatal Tragedy. All brilliant songs I must add, I wish he'd get back into the lyric writing...

Wow, I didn't realized he wrote the lyrics for Trial of Tears. I love that song. It's one of my favorites in the DT discography.

Rudess' solos were awful live!

You may actually be on to something. While his note choices are fine, the patches he chooses to use sound like an elephant getting raped while being sucked into a black hole. Not to mention that Dream Theater's solos, in general, drag on for SOOO long!

Typical DT song format:

Intro with piano only
Cool riff that lasts for two seconds
A minute of filler riffs
Petrucci solo (completely tasteless)
More sub-par intro riffs
Drum fill that simply doesn't fit
Verse 1
Pre-Chorus
Chorus
Cool riff that you'll never hear again in the song while LaBrie holds out a long note
Verse 2
Pre-Chorus
Chorus
Beginning of instrumental section
Two minutes of synchronized wank section between entire band
Petrucci solo (mostly tasteless, but with one or two cool licks)
Rudess synth solo (elephant sounds)
Petrucci solo (complete wank)
Rudess synth solo (porcupine being violated while burning up in atmosphere)
Petrucci/Rudess unison (bass plays boring sixteenth notes on one string while the other five strings just sit there)
Bass solo (with distortion that makes it sound like someone is puking up razor blades)
Drum solo (Portnoy makes sure to hit every unnecessary piece of his kit, including all blocks and octobans)
Rudess piano interlude (this is okay with me)
Cool riff with a tail end of wank-fest
Petrucci solo (again; notice he always solos before Rudess)
Rudess (Sonic the Hedgehog being sexually molested)
Part during live shows when LaBrie walks back on stage after his twelve-minute backstage masturbation
Verse 3
Pre-Chorus
Chorus
Outro (cool for a minute or two, but drags on for about six)
Petrucci solo
Last chord that rings out (it is mandatory for Petrucci to place his foot on his solo box while he bends the shit out of the 24th fret high E string)
Massive drum fill for Portnoy to show off yet again

Well there you have it.