Drop A#-Tuning on a Les Paul?

Honestly I have never tried that particular set but I do use cheap acoustic strings on my Charvel to tune to C. It sounds pretty heavy with an EMG-81.

Honestly I have never tried that particular set but I do use cheap acoustic strings on my Charvel to tune to C. It sounds pretty heavy with an EMG-81.

Acoustic Bronze strings?

How does that sound in comparison to regular electric strings? I've put electric strings on an acoustic, but never the other way around...

On electric I usually use D'Addario XL 12-52 and replace the 52 for a 56... I tune to C# (drop B)... never had any intonations problems...

from someone who tunes to drop B or B standard on every one of his guitars, I can definately say that scale length does not play a significant difference when volume is cranked! A common misconception is that a longer scale guitar will add a noticable amount of string tension...I would say no. Not any you can notice anyway...you see when a string is longer, it is easier to bend, which in effect makes it feel looser to your fret hand than on a 24.75 inch scale (your les paul). The tone will be clearer and have a bit more attack, but will lack the low end thump of a shorter scale. Both are good for what they are, but at the end of the day, I can't tell the difference when my volume is cranked to eleven.

as for string gauges, I use 12-16-24-34-44-62 for drop B on an esp eclipse ii standard (same as a LP studio light basically...) so I would step each one those up for drop A# tuning (which I have done before!). Something like 13-17-26-36-46-66 should do just fine. Also, many think in flames uses 13-70, but they don't! I have asked them personally and they use Elixer 13-65, as mentioned before...

good luck and hoped this helped!

Jysan, tension is related to the square of the scale length. Maybe you won't notice it between 24.75 and 25 or 24.75 and 25.5, but if you can honestly tell me that you can go from 24.75 to 28, or even to 26.5 (where your equivalent tension on the 24.75 would be a half-step higher) then you're just no good at telling tensions apart. Going from a 24.75 like a Les Paul to a 26.5 like some Schecters is the equivalent of tuning your Les Paul to drop-C instead of drop-B, and that should be a noticeable change. The numbers aren't on your side.

Jeff

I'm with XeS on this one - I had 68 gauge on my EC-400 (LesPaul scale) tuned to B and anything above the 4th fret sounded absolutely awful, my other guitar is a C-1 tuned to C with 58 gauge and it still doesn't sound right.

I used to tune in drop-A# and used a 066 on the lowest. Not my cup of tea though, I never tune lower than drop-C now. Good luck anyway.

I faced some serious intonation issues when I used my old Aria Les Paul copy from the early 70's for the first Krypt demos. The tuning was Bb - Bb (standard interval, no drop) and the string gauge was 013-072... (Yeah, it's NUTS, but I had to do it to get a stable tone)

However, the damned thing would only intonate properly on the lowest 5-6 frets... which wasn't a problem by itself, but when you started dubbing and wanted to do for example power chords in octaves (two low + two high), I realized it wouldn't work out. So I got myself a Schecter instead, which intonates perfectly with above mentioned tuning + string gauge.

If you listen to the tracks at our Myspace-page, the rhythm guitars were actually recorded with the Les Paul... but I hade to tune differently in different parts and different keys, to make it sound ok altogether. Needless to say, I don't have these problems with the Schecter at all. ;)

Schecter hellraiser 6 string... D'Addario 12-52, wound third (replace 52 with 56).

<----------No intonation problems... I didnt do anything to my guitar when I bought it from guitar center... just threw the strings on it and its perfectly intonated... for some strange reason...

In fact the only guitars I had to intonate were my BC Rich guitars.

and I play in Drop B