Drum editing practice

sawtooth

Jun 24, 2007
Kent, UK
I would like to practice my drum editing chops, and was wondering if any of you guys happened to have any unedited drums available?

Many thanks

I would like to practice my drum editing chops, and was wondering if any of you guys happened to have any unedited drums available?

Many thanks

There is some raw drum files about half way down the production tips page. Are you actually even attempting to use this forum correctly?

errr yes. No need to respond like that, I've been a reader of this forum for 2 years and I've done multiple searches. All mixing files have drums which are edited. I want unedited, out of time drums.

i have loads of unedited files....but you don't want to mess with most of them, trust me.
in fact, i just finished editing drums for a 4 track EP, and it took like 5 hours per song (around 2:30 each) to fix the mess this guy called drumming....

Many thanks

advice:

use a midi controller (keyboard) ...and with a click play the "drums" ...

- don't quantize

- do an internal layback of each instrument

...then edit them.

most likely you will not be right on the click and most importantly this will improve your overall relationship with a typical drum work flow.

so, you will intentionally play the drums "sloppy."

*that is, if you can't find any multitrack drum sessions.

I'll see if I got any kicking around that I can upload.

Probably won't be metal, but I might have some....

Give me a few days to track something down...

advice:

- don't quantize

...then edit them.

most likely you will not be right on the click and most importantly this will improve your overall relationship with a typical drum work flow.

This is a very clever approach. If you often find yourself having to replay a drummer's part on keyboard because he couldn't cut it, this will improve your skills at playing keyboard drums and editing!

As for unedited drums, here is a thread: Free tracks to mix anyone?

advice:

- don't quantize

...then edit them.

This is the same advice I gave Sawtooth yesterday, although I added the suggestion that he get blindingly drunk first.

This is the same advice I gave Sawtooth yesterday, although I added the suggestion that he get blindingly drunk first.

HA! yup! :) I'm a pianist of many years, and I'm used to practicing to a metronome so getting drunk first would be good hehe

Looking for unedited drums here as well. Wanna try out Adam's new autopocket features for reaper but finding drums here that aren't midi and aren't edited seems to be very difficult. Either that or I'm really blind. Help please?

Just started tracking drums to clicks (for first time) and ohhh boy. Drummer getting off because apparently the clicks are too fast at parts. You can sit there and listen to the click all day and play the songs in your head and everythings fine, but as soon as you actually start to play to them...yeah....

so I'd like some editing tips for Reaper mainly. Punch ins are tough for me right now...I have some more work to do in the meantime editing click tracks. Again.

Looking for unedited drums here as well. Wanna try out Adam's new autopocket features for reaper but finding drums here that aren't midi and aren't edited seems to be very difficult. Either that or I'm really blind. Help please?

autopocket? guess i missed something. please share!

Damn those are some nice drums C_F_H_13! Seriously nice. Do you have some pictures of postitioning and room size ect.

Those room mics are amazing. Ive never been able to get that spread and even quality from my rooms. I think the actual room those were recorded in was pretty nice by the sounds of it. Also great mault on the snare. That 1176 sounds killer! Did you gate also before the 1176? Its clean for a snare.

Its super late (1am) and im on headphones but I had to give these a listen.

Your an awesome engineer C_F_H_13.

Had fun looking at your work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1618313/C_F_H%20Drummmmmmz%20No%20Samples.wav

(No sample replacment at all needed for these drums. Although if I was mixing these I would still add a kick and snare, just for fatness).

Didnt do any editing also, I just wanted to check out your tracks :lol: