Drum Sequencing

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I once again turn to ye knowledgeable ones for advice...

I sequence drums through Cubase SX. I use Fruity Loops as a VST instrument, in which I load my drum samples and mix/eq them.

Problem is I can only get 16 samples in there which is really limiting, seeing as how I like huge kits with lots of cymbals, and I want to mix and match snare and bass drum sounds into a single channel. Also, I'd prefer to have a better mixing environment for my virtual kit than Fruity Loops has to offer (ideally i'd have each drum piece as a separate channel in Cubase SX itself, while still being able to do the step sequencing in a single drum map window...

How can I achieve this? What do you guys do to have maximum versatility in drum sequencing?

well, I use Sonar 3 Producer Edition with the DXi FXpansion "DR-008"... I can Load almost infinite samples, in fact I use Drumkit from hell plus a bunch of samples from D4... with Dr-008 you can use layered samples, going each one to separate channels, for a perfect mixing enviroment... at least for me! :D
ah, I always use the pentagram (staff) to write drums...

Got Battery HTDM or PT. But I don't know if its also for Cubase. It has 16 mono outputs, or 8 stereo pairs. Now you're talkin'!

I've never got to grips with Battery, DFH, etc. Way to many big words in the manuals.

I have been using "Drumsite" from www.drums.sk and it seems to work in the same way as the others, but even a retard like me can get to grips with it.

You basically have the sequencer view where you can add your hits as you would using midi. You can also change the tempo and timing for each bar (you can probably do this in Sonar or whatever too, but I dunno..). But the bit I like is you can drag 10 snare samples into the "snare" folder (or whatever) and it will randomize the hits to one of those samples in that timeline. There's no limit to the amount of instruments you can use, and no limit to amount of samples per instrument.

I have been using other wav files like choirs and stuff too in the same program. Works a treat.

The other thing I like is that you can then export each instument as a seperate WAV file, drop them into Sonar (or whatever) and pan it and add effects as you please.

I would imagine things like DFH, etc, can do all this too, but this Drumsite program has no learning curve at all.

I'll bugger off now...

well Ive been on to native instruments, they don't understand what Im asking. How do you audition different layers within a cell? It always plays whatever is set to 127. How do I get to hear the quiter samples once loaded into battery.

Andy Sneap said:
well Ive been on to native instruments, they don't understand what Im asking. How do you audition different layers within a cell? It always plays whatever is set to 127. How do I get to hear the quiter samples once loaded into battery.

I use Battery for quite some time and that's exactly one of its features I'd like to see fixed :(
In fact, I need to hear the layers only when deciding which samples to import to a cell, and I can do that either in CDXtract (great util for samples managing) or in Battery when importing from SF2 or AKAI.
In general, it satisfies my needs for a drum sampler, but there are some quirks I'd like them to change. But it seems the development is on hold, a new version is not even on sight yet...

its a shame, I actually prefer it as direct connect running behind Pro Tools, so you can use it as a separate sampler with all your kit in the same matrix, obviously in OSX using it as a plug in you can't do that (if you want to have your kit coming back on separate outputs).

Andy Sneap said:
its a shame, I actually prefer it as direct connect running behind Pro Tools, so you can use it as a separate sampler with all your kit in the same matrix, obviously in OSX using it as a plug in you can't do that (if you want to have your kit coming back on separate outputs).

You mean OSX version of Battery doesn't support multiple outputs? :err:
Or did I get something wrong?
That would be a serious crippling of their software...