Drumbus Compressor Shootout!

Which compressor do you prefer on the drum bus?

• Raw

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Stillwell Rocket

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • URS CSP

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Gyraf SSL

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Waves SSL G-series

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Waves API 2500

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'd like to preface this thread by saying that this shoot-out was by no means scientific or trying to show the superiority of one compressor to another. I've merely acquired a large collection of them on my hunt for all the colors of the rainbow, and wanted to familiarize myself with how each behaves.

Since I was going to do a shoot-out for my own purposes, I figured why not print it and let you guys have some fun comparing too.

The idea behind this was to find out which one gives the 'phattest', grungiest rock sound on the drum bus. Essentially, which one sounds most like an 1176. I started the test comparing the Stillwell Rocket (loosely based on the 1176) and the URS CSP, on the FET 4 compressor preset. Since these are the only two 1176-style plug-ins I have, I thought to add some more different style compressors just for the sake of spicing things up.

So all up we have 4 plug-ins and 1 hardware unit:

Stillwell Rocket
URS CSP (FET 4 preset, with attack and release altered)
Waves G-SSL Bus Comp
Waves API 2500
Gyraf SSL Bus Comp

As much as it wasn't a very scientific test, I tried to roughly approximate many parameters. For instance the Attack and Release on each unit are set to 1ms and 100ms, respectively. The ratio is 4:1, and the GR reference point is roughly -4dB on the single snare hits. This did however bring to attention that the GR meters of each unit respond VERY differently. The Waves SSL for instance starts pumping after the -2dB point, whereas the 2500 will happily go -5dB and beyond with little coloration. So take it all with a grain of salt, bear in mind that I adjusted them all by ear and your own mileage may vary.

So here is the link, for your enjoyment: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Drumbus Shootout.rar

Make sure to vote and leave your impressions in the thread!

Glad most of you guys feel the same! Man, when I put that Rocket on the bus I thought I was strapping outboard to it. Unreal, and it costs barely anything! Definitely my choice for aggressive comp/limiter from now on.

The CSP and Waves SSL are really aggressive and pumpy. Might come in handy for some things, but perhaps not here. The CSP has a really interesting attack to it which might lend itself well to being used on the individual drum tracks. Since the SSL E-channel has a soft-knee compressor, the CSP may be a good substitute for percussion.

I tried this after the tip from joeymusicguy:

Kickdrum, snare and toms are going through the waves api 2500.
Oh,hats,ride are going through the waves L1 (which brings the cymbals up and make the rest from (like snare) from pong to ftschssh^^)
Then I make one final Drum bus which includes all th 2 previous busses and the room mic(s) and putting the H-comp on it (just for parallel compression, use what you want)

This kicks major ASS

not much to add from what the others have said, nice shootout.

I really love the URS for drum bus, around 20-25ms attack, around 80ms release, knee of +4, ratio 4/5:1

I love how that compressor can be punchy as fuck, or smooth as anything (some of the auto releases are really cool for softer stuff).

I tried this after the tip from joeymusicguy:

Kickdrum, snare and toms are going through the waves api 2500.
Oh,hats,ride are going through the waves L1 (which brings the cymbals up and make the rest from (like snare) from pong to ftschssh^^)
Then I make one final Drum bus which includes all th 2 previous busses and the room mic(s) and putting the H-comp on it (just for parallel compression, use what you want)

This kicks major ASS

So you're doing 2 parallel compressions there basically, at least to the affected drum parts like, kick, snare and toms?

Just to be clear, these comps are on the drum bus only, NOT parallel comp's, right?

I've never compressed the drum buss, but I do use parallel compression on the drums (taking the singal from the bus).

I've never included cymbals in my parallel comp, either.

These comps are on the drum bus in serial, correct. I never do this either, but the reason I did it here was to emphasize the effect that the compressors have on percussive program material.

@Eddy: There is a raw file in there, in the pack. Only drawback is that it's been taken down to 16-bit, but really shouldn't matter too much.