Enslaved

SADUDE

lunatic of god's creation
Mar 20, 2002
Im just getting into these guys and I had some questions.
How is the Enslaved dvd? Im considering buying it.
What would you say is their best cd? I got Frost and love it.
I can't wait to see them live next week.

I don't have the DVD.

CD-wise....Enslaved have changed a lot through the years. I'd recommend getting Vikingligr Veldi. The new one, Below the Lights, is pretty impressive, but a different style to their earlier stuff.

So it seems. I'm not an Opeth fanatic, though. When it comes to Enslaved: A fantastic band, started out as a BRILLIANT black/viking metal band. Their first 4 records are absolutely mandatory; Hordanes Land (split w/Emperor), Vikingligr Veldi (their best), Frost and Eld. Blodhemn is quite good, but not spectacular. Mardraum: Beyond The Within marked a significant change in their sound. More experimental, not so "black-ish", some progressive elements thrown in. Monumension followed the path Mardraum took, and is also quite good, but Below The Lights (their latest) is much better.

every enslaved song i get is fuckin horrile quality... it pisses me off. so i just say screw it and i say they suck....

swizzlenuts needs to be beaten.

Enslaved are probably the best black metal band around these days. They've only gotten better with age, their newer material is far superior to their earlier material. Monumension and Below the Lights are the best, with Monumension slightly edging out Below the Lights due to more variety between songs and a better atmosphere.

old Enslaved was black metal, and they developed viking and progressive elements into their sound. New Enslaved is very different to old Enslaved, but both is great.

Newer Enslaved is sort of progressive black metal. I wouldn't compare them to Opeth by any means though. They have an older black metal style of riffage, such as Darkthrone, but take that style and amp up the complexity of the riff by a factor of 10 or so and repeat that riff while avoiding a focus on vocals. The songs change around a bit, but it is still based upon repetition and slow progression.

How fitting that this thread has appeared. I have been listening to "Blodhemn" in my car nonstop for the past three days. Enslaved's newer material is great but...c'mon...."Frost" is a classic!

henrikmain said:
So it seems. I'm not an Opeth fanatic, though. When it comes to Enslaved: A fantastic band, started out as a BRILLIANT black/viking metal band. Their first 4 records are absolutely mandatory; Hordanes Land (split w/Emperor), Vikingligr Veldi (their best), Frost and Eld. Blodhemn is quite good, but not spectacular. Mardraum: Beyond The Within marked a significant change in their sound. More experimental, not so "black-ish", some progressive elements thrown in. Monumension followed the path Mardraum took, and is also quite good, but Below The Lights (their latest) is much better.

You forgot Yggdrasill.

Anyway, I love them before Monumension. That album is one of the most boring things I've heard in my life though. Makes Sleep sound technical and exciting. Bah!

Yeah, I forgot Yggdrasil. That was a demo of theirs, and it's was re-released as a split with Satyricon. The record is called The Forest Is My Thorne/Yggdrasil.