Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Entwine – diEversity
Spinefarm/Universal - 2004
By Graham Boyle

Entwine_DiEversity.jpg

"diEversity" is the fourth album from this much underrated Finnish sextuplet. From their humble death metal beginnings, Entwine have developed into a class act, their brand of melodic gothic tinged hard rock capable of challenging the more known bands.

While the likes of fellow Finns, HIM, The 69 Eyes, Poinsonblack, Charon and to a lesser extent Sentenced grab all the attention in this genre, Entwine have been quietly delivering strong albums, full of quality, depth and emotion.

"diEversity", continues the themes of the previous 3 albums; tales of lost love, betrayal and heartache, all managing to sound fresh and vibrant. While Entwine are certainly at the more commercial end of the genre, they still know how to add the right amount of atmosphere and enough crunch to satisfy fans of heavier bands. This album is the group's finest moment; their previous, "Time Of Despair", was a [little] disappointing as a follow up to the brilliant, "Gone". This time Entwine have taken the best elements of those two releases and delivered a killer album.

The eleven songs on offer here are short and to the point - each packs a punch aimed straight for the heart. It would be pointless to try and identify the strongest songs, as there really isn’t weak track in sight.

The only weakness in "diEversity" is the length; at 43 minutes, it’s way too short. As the final notes of closer, ‘Lost Within’ fade into the distance, I hit the play button again, to be taken away into Entwine’s world once more.

5/5

Official Entwine Website
Official Spinefarm Website

didn't even realise they'd released a new alb yet! I've heard some of their old stuff and thought it was really good - keep meaning to buy 'Gone' but its hard to find (and i'm broke). Think I might get this first, nice review. I'm into melodic gothic kind of metal bands like HIM, 69 eyes etc and i'd recommend them to anyone else who's interested in the genre.
jenny