Expanding Metal Knowledge

The Muffin Man

New Metal Member
May 29, 2007
Ok so I'm pretty young and I've only just got into metal. Now I'm trying to expand my music collection so could you recommend some bands that sound like my faverites:

Black Metal (Gorgoroth)

Death Metal (Six Feet Under, All Shall Perish, Daath, Job for a Cowboy)

Melodic Death Metal (Dark Tranquility,In Flames, Kill The Romance, Amon Amarth, Nevermore, Soil Work)

Groove Metal (Pantera, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Chimara)

Mega Dunno What Genre It Is Metal (Nother, Enslaved, Children of Bodom)

Nevermore are more like Power Metal aren't they?

check out:
Hammerfall, Mercenary, Agalloch, Edge of Sanity, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Insomnium, Kalmah

Step 1: Toss all that 'Death Metal' you like.
Step 2: Acquire these albums: Possessed - Seven Churches; Death - Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy; Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness; Entombed - Left Hand Path; Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream; Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Step 3: Enjoy. ;)

I'd recommend Bloodbath, Blind Guardian, Wintersun, Callenish Circle, Carcass, Carpathian Forest, and Control Denied.

thumbsup.gif

Step 1: Toss all that 'Death Metal' you like.
Step 2: Acquire these albums: Possessed - Seven Churches; Death - Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy; Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness; Entombed - Left Hand Path; Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream; Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Step 3: Enjoy. ;)

thumbsup.gif

I second that recommend aswell

Thanx for the suggestions some of them were really good. Oh by the way Death Aflame I have now bought some "proper" death metal like morbid angel, death, vader, zyklon and nile. Can you now recommened some bands that sound like my dying bride or behemoth oh and is there any bands which have death metal vocals and clean female vocals?

For your melodic death needs check out Ebony Tears, Vehemence, At the Gates, and Bolt Thrower

1 band that sounds like Behemoth, but with more...umm...sructure?

Lykathea Aflame

I haven't heard any bands that sound similar to My Dying Bride. They're a pretty original band IMO.

Thanx for the suggestions some of them were really good. Oh by the way Death Aflame I have now bought some "proper" death metal like morbid angel, death, vader, zyklon and nile. Can you now recommened some bands that sound like my dying bride or behemoth oh and is there any bands which have death metal vocals and clean female vocals?
The Project Hate MCMXCII

Novembers Doom, they are similar to My Dying Bride and they have female vocals here and there. Try their album 'The Pale Haunt Departure"

Not so impressed with Novembers Doom but absolutly love The Project Hate. Someone recommend some atmospehric catchy death metal like Daath or Skinless (the riffs are catchy dammnit).

AT THE GATES (a must for Gothenburg Metal)
1349 ;)
Obituary
Ensiferum
Goatwhore
Emperor
The Absence
Cannibal Corpse
Aborted
Cryptopsy
Martyr
Symphony X
Swallow The Sun
Skyfire
Meshuggah
Scar Symmetry
Opeth
Mors Principium Est
Malevolent Creation
Children Of Bodom
Katatonia
Mayhem
Kataklysm
Immortal
Hypocrisy
Darkthrone
Hate Eternal
Death

AT THE GATES (a must for Gothenburg Metal)

No, because their only worthwhile album has nothing to do with the Gothenburg sound.

The Red in the Sky Is Ours is their only release worth getting, well and Gardens of Grief.

Black Metal: Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Bathory, Burzum, Immortal, (old) Behemoth.

Death Metal: Old school: Posessed, Entombed, Suffocation, Death, Morbid Angel. Modern:Nile, (new) Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, Skinless, Decapitated, Cryptopsy.

Melodic Death Metal: Hypocrisy, Arsis, Arch Enemy

BTW Enslaved is Black Metal as well. Children of Bodom and Norther are Power Metal with Harsh Vocals.

Also check out some thrash, there is the obvious (old) Slayer, (old)Metallica, (old) Megadeth, Kreator, Exodus, and Artillery.

Not so impressed with Novembers Doom but absolutly love The Project Hate. Someone recommend some atmospehric catchy death metal like Daath or Skinless (the riffs are catchy dammnit).

listen to DYING FETUS (any of their album would do but I prefer "Destroy the Opposition"), they are better than Skinless.

CARCASS is a must for Death metal pretty much all they did was good but I'd recommend Heartwork, Symphony of Sickness and Necrotism more specifically.

also, this website should help you with genres, albums and stuff: http://www.metal-archives.com/