Extol...

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
..."Undeceived"

Holy fuck, I thought Xian black metal woulda been an oxymoron, although it's more black/death.

This album has been in my cd player since I returned from Rome.

THe beliefs don't bother me a bit. But like GoD said, it's a mish-mash of genres that doesn't work all the time. THey have a few good songs, though.

They are very uniique IMO, when i'm in the mood for something more frantic and not so heavy in atmosphere I sometimes listen to them, but he is right, they are not for everyone.

I dig the beliefs as I'm spiritual myself. But out of the 20 cd's I purchased in my last haul. Undecieved has been the one I have listened to the least. Love the violins though! ;)

From all the reviews I've read It appears as if Undecieved is their best work by far. I'll probably pick up Sinergy at a later date. Too many cd's to buy and not enough money to make it happen my brothers! Regarding the lyrics... If bands can preach satanism, heathenism, nationalism, then why not christianity? Sounds like a double standard.

good point guys.

i personally think extol is a great band. don't listen to them all the time, but i still love 'em. they put on an excellent live show as well. i did an internship at their old record label (solid state records) and got a bunch of free extol cd's and shirts :D

AllWithinMyMonster said:
From all the reviews I've read It appears as if Undecieved is their best work by far. I'll probably pick up Sinergy at a later date. Too many cd's to buy and not enough money to make it happen my brothers! Regarding the lyrics... If bands can preach satanism, heathenism, nationalism, then why not christianity? Sounds like a double standard.

You'll find very few heathen, nationalist or Satanic artists whose music actively proselytizes, whereas most Christian bands are preachy as hell. Also, people who do dismiss the band because they're Christian aren't dismissing them solely because they espouse a belief, but because they believe that belief is inferior to others more popularly espoused in metal, such as the ones you mentioned.

I agree. Proselytization of any belief through music comes off as being preachy and are a big turn-off for me.

That said, there are several Extol songs that avoid such. They, coincidentally, happen to be the better ones.