Extremely long interview you guys might like

NekrogoblinTim

Your skin is mine.
An Interview with Nekrogoblikon
by Devon Pettengill
taken in April of 2007 at the Santa Barbara Roasting Company coffee shop, with Tim, Alex A., Ashleigh, and Austin.

How exactly did the band start?

Tim: Well, originally I had some material left over from Inquest that didn’t quite fit us—it was a little goofier. So I kind of wanted to put together some other songs and, just like, stick them online or write them for fun. What ended up happening was at some point I had this idea…the name Goblin Island came into my head and I thought that would be a hilarious title for an album, not connected to anything, just an album called Goblin Island.

So Nicky and I talked about it and he thought it was hilarious too. He wanted to help me out and record keys for it. So we ended up talking about it for a while and recording keyboards for [the song] “Goblin Island” during the summer, in late June/early July.

Of 2006?

Tim: Yeah. We liked it a lot. We recorded vocals for that song too and it was funny and we just kept going with it. Eventually after the first two songs we decided to make it a band—like put it up on MySpace under a name. We went through a few ideas—we were like Army of Goblins, Goblin Army—that would be a good name for a band. The thought process was: Army of Goblins, Army of Darkness, Necronomicon, Nekrogoblikon. That’s how the band got named and basically there was no forethought whatsoever. It was just a product of our sense of humor.

At what point did the music become not so much a joke and more of a serious thing?

Tim: Well, never really. I mean the serious part came when I decided to make it a full band. Nicky didn’t want to. Nicky wanted to just have it be me and him. He was interested in playing the music live and having a band [, but it would be hard given our distance]. We realized how successful we were and I saw that it was just completely overtaking Inquest. So I was like, you know what, this would be much better if this was my band. It was just really fun. So after getting the live band together it naturally became serious because you can’t practice, you can’t learn songs, if you aren’t serious about it. If you just goof off all the time it’s not a band, you know?

Who writes the lyrics?

Tim: It depends. Basically it’s whoever had the idea. Nicky and I have to work separately (Nicky lives in Berkeley, 300 miles from Santa Barbara), so what will happen is one of us will write a song, maybe most of a song, and we’ll collaborate by somebody putting up the initial idea, like, “Look I have these riffs,” and the other person will go like, “Oh, okay, I want to put this in right here.” And the song will get written. Recently it has been that whoever has written the song has written the vocals for it.

So it is either you or Nicky?

Tim: Yeah. For [the album] Goblin Island, it was kind of more a tag teaming. “Goblins Ahoy” was all Nicky and “Army of Goblins” all me, “Goblin Island” was all Nicky. But we always have input with each other, like I might go, “That doesn’t really sound good, let’s change it,” things like that. Or we’ll start recording it and little things will be too hard to do.

Where did the goblin theme come from?

Ashleigh: Goblin Island.

Tim: Goblin Island. The fact that we wanted to make an album called Goblin Island so naturally everything had to be about goblins.

I want to ask each one of you this. How did each one of you join the band?

Ashleigh: I was driving with Tim somewhere and talking about how I wanted a job where I just sat around and typed at a keyboard all day. And Tim made the logical connection that maybe he could sit me in front of a musical keyboard for a portion of the day and then I would be in the band.

And that’s it?

Ashleigh: That’s basically it.

Tim: What she’s leaving out is that she was a CCS Music Composition Major for the first year of college. She played trumpet in high school for a long time.

Ashleigh: I played trumpet for six years. I got a 5 on the music theory AP test. I’ve had a lot of musical training. I’m actually the least talented musician in the band.

Tim: Ashleigh brings [music] theory and analysis to the band that nobody else really has. We all—you know—know a bit of theory; some of us more than others. But Ashleigh is just a head above everyone.

Alex: She tells us exactly what we’re doing even when we don’t realize it…or what we’re doing wrong.

Tim: So that really helps. Obviously starting from scratch on keyboard it would have been really hard. It would have taken a lot longer and more work. But Ashleigh had somewhere to start with so it was just building up chops. And it seemed to fit us very well. I think she’s having fun.

I guess I’ll just go through the line-up history. Ashleigh I guess was the first member of the band other than Nicky and me. But that all happened kind of at the same time. I didn’t exactly know how to go about putting together the band because I had to start from absolute scratch. I couldn’t just be like, “Hey, Inquest guys, let’s just start playing this now.” At the second Amenta show [Alex A. and Austin’s other band] these two kids were there. Alex Duddy [the drummer of Inquest] and I played an Inquest song after Amenta played. And these two kids came up to us and said, “Hey, that was really cool,” and we just talked to them for a while. They had just moved to IV to go to UCSB. One of them was a guitarist and one of them was a drummer and I was like, “Hey, we should jam. I’m putting together this band and it would be cool if at least one of you guys would help us out.” Jason was really good, he’s a really good guitarist, and he joined us. His brother Brian wasn’t as good at drums as he was at guitar, so we kind of half kicked him out and half he just left because he didn’t have time. But Jason we kept for a while. He learned all the songs really well, but we didn’t really get along with him like Ashleigh and I got along and Nicky and I got along. It was just kind of strained for a while.

Spencer I had known. We tried him out for Inquest when Alex Duddy moved to Orange County. We didn’t know if Inquest could continue because he lived so far away so we were looking for drummers. I had heard of Spencer through this guy Dan Behrman – who incidentally ended up starting Amenta. I talked to Spencer online and we had tried him out for Inquest but he didn’t really have time for it because he was working on his Computer Science degree at UCSB. He was really busy all the time and he didn’t fit us as well as Alex Duddy. I stayed in touch with him and now when Nekrogoblikon was getting put together he had actually messaged me on Facebook and said, “Hey, what’s this goblin project you’ve got going on. This is kind of cool.” Yeah, he was the one who messaged me about it, but he didn’t message me about joining, he was just like, “Hey, this is cool.” And we talked about it and I was like, “We really need a good drummer and you’re the best drummer I know. Could you please jam with us and if you like it maybe we’ll do something.” We jammed and he liked it, and it just seemed to work. He said from the start this was just a for-fun thing and I agreed to it just because he was the best drummer we could hope for. I figured either he’d get into it or we’d get big enough to where it would be worth it for him to play with us. We played a couple of shows and it was fun, it was good, but Jason just proved himself to be unprofessional, and he just bailed out on us. One day I was just really angry and I just yelled at him for a while. And then the search for a new guitarist began.

I thought, “What guitarists do I know?” There was one guy who was a big fan of Inquest and I knew played guitar so I asked him to try out for us and he said, “I don’t know how good I am, but sure.” And I forget if I messaged you…

Alex: You messaged me on AIM and said, “We just kicked out Jason,” and I was like, “I saw that coming.” I remember saying that. And you were like, “We might be interested in you.” And I was like, “Oh, sweet. Should I bring Austin?”

Tim: As far as bassists went because we play in B…bass is like obviously wanted, but not necessary. Same with Inquest, we never had a bassist. Well, we had a bassist for a short time but it didn’t really add anything. So it was like if we got a bassist, sure. We were going to have Chris Farwell of Inquest play bass for us on tour. But then Alex and Austin tried out, or well…Alex and Mike came over and we jammed for a little bit and I was like, “Well, learn one of the songs, learn ‘They Came From Space’”—which is probably our hardest one—was our hardest one at the time—“And whoever has it best after three or four days is in the band.” After the weekend I was like, “How are you doing?” and Mike didn’t even show up to show off his skills. I don’t think he even learned the song. But Alex and Austin learned all the parts and Alex actually learned all lead and rhythm parts and everything. We jammed, it was great, and obviously they’re in the band, and definitely for the better.

As for Alex Duddy… We always needed a live vocalist because Nicky couldn’t be in the band full time. Duddy had expressed interest, or I had asked him, “Hey, would you want to do vocals, because I know you can sing and growl?” He was kind of interested but he had a full time band with a band called Avarice that he was singing for. And they were signed and they were doing really well. So for a while we were just trying to figure out what we were going to do. One day we were hanging out at Java [coffee shop nearby] and Alex calls me and he’s just like, “Hey, is that singing position for Nekrogoblikon still open?” in a serious voice. And I was like, “Yeah, sure, man. Are you interested?” And he was like, “I’m in,” or something like that. He just said, “Yeah, I’m doing it.” And I’m like, “Alright. What…what happened?” and he was like, “Avarice just kicked me out.”

Austin:
Didn’t they get dropped from their label first?

Tim: No, no, they kicked him out first.

Ashleigh: They had to do layoffs…

Tim: Apparently he came to one of their practices and they were just like, “We already found a new guy. You don’t have enough experience to be our singer.” All of a sudden. even though I think Alex is a really good singer. [We found out later their label dropped them pretty much because they had kicked Duddy out]

Austin: He’s a really good singer.

Alex: Hey, works for us though.

Tim: Especially for like, a poppy band. So he worked out really well. I don’t know…he’s a good front man. But now we’re going through a line-up change because Spencer is leaving to go to Japan sometime late August. So we have to look for another drummer. We’re actually trying out a guy tomorrow. His name is Matt. He used to be the drummer of Convect, before Convect became Amenta. We’re like all the ex-members of Dan Behrman’s bands. We’re trying out that guy and a couple other people we messaged on Myspace that were interested. I guess that’s the lineup. I’m sorry it was so long.

Given the attention you guys have been getting and your popularity, what are your thoughts about making this a career if you ever get to that point? Would you do it if you were given the opportunity?

Alex: Obviously all of us love music. We would do this regardless of whether we got paid or even got attention for it. This is what we love doing but if we were able to get paid for it, able to put bread on the table from playing the music that we like playing…

Ashleigh: Bread and possibly bars of gold and checks.

Alex: Bread and ganj…then yeah, for sure.

Ashleigh: I’d enjoy it, but it’s not really in the cards for me…because who wants to be the second keyboardist in a metal band? I’m gesturing, you can’t tell this now, but I’m gesturing the balancing of scales. I have other things I’m doing, like I’m the manager of my job now, or I will be in two weeks. Nicky is the real keyboardist.

Austin: Yeah, I definitely want it to be a career for a while, that would be really cool. Obviously, you know, if I grow older or whatever, I wouldn’t want to be doing this forever. It would be a really cool thing to do for a few years if we could actually make a living at it.

So basically you’ll all graduate, you’ll all get your degrees, no matter what?

Tim: I’ve always loved playing music, especially playing live. Writing this stuff and having people enjoy it has become my passion over the last four years. For a long time I was seriously contemplating, if this explodes, like seriously, if we get signed to a major label, whether that’s Inquest, or Nekrogoblikon, or any other band I’m in…would I dedicate myself to it? Most of the time the answer is yes. I’m seriously thinking that if some label with a lot of pull picked us up I’d just drop out of college. I also have the luxury of having a job that doesn’t require me to have a degree. I would get paid more and it would probably be more secure if graduated college, etc. But I have a backup in that sense. Spencer obviously doesn’t want music to be his career. Alex Duddy…it’s been his life for a long time. But justifiably so, he’s a really talented musician and he’s really worked for it. It’s not like he feels he’s just going to sit around and then get famous or make a career out of it.

Tim: You know, the signing thing, and just the business thing in general, I think that will happen. We’ve had multiple recording deal offers, they’re just for smaller labels. Getting signed to Roadrunner is pretty much as high up as we could fathom to go, because they’re the biggest metal label. But it’s definitely not something I think we’re entitled to. I think we’d be really lucky if they gave us an offer. [That said, we’ve only been around for a year and it’s highly unlikely we’ll get signed by a major label anytime soon]

Ashleigh: Alex Duddy likes Bright Eyes. I’d just like to add that as a counter argument.

Tim: A counter argument to what?

Alex: To him being a good musician. But so does Austin, so if there are ever two guys in our band to make out with each other, it will be Austin and Alex Duddy, while listening to Bright Eyes.

Metal Archives has you listed as symphonic folk/death metal. Is that accurate?

Tim: Anything you want is accurate because I think genres are silly in general. I mean it’s a good way to categorize bands if you say, “Oh, they’re a death metal band” or “they’re more of a power metal band.” But I think it’s silly to label band that are somewhere in between really rigidly. There are symphonic elements, folk elements, progressive elements, death metal, power metal…so are we all these things?

Alex: At the end of the day we’re just metal.

Tim: Yeah, we’re a metal band.

Austin: Is the folk what you’re asking about?

Yeah, what the hell is folk metal?

Austin:
Well, it’s not really American folk, it’s more European folk music, like Celtic music or Scandinavian folk music is definitely a big influence in there. We’re listed under folk on iTunes and people think it’s a joke. But no, there is a big folk influence.

Alex: A lot of our influences—metal influences—are also influenced by folk. Look at old In Flames and Fintroll, things like that. You can hear it in their music, you can hear it in ours. Really obvious influences there.

Tim: We’ve actually been getting away from that and I think that may not be a good thing. I don’t know. The folk stuff I really like, I really enjoy it. The reason folk music is enjoyable is the same reason all these melodies have stayed in people’s consciousness and people’s minds. It’s because they’re really catchy. That’s the reason folk music has survived.

How do you respond to fans who say that you need to play up your gimmick more?

Tim: How do I respond to that? Uh…

Ashleigh: With a casual shrug and a fuck-off. Do you mean all fans or the people we respect?

Tim: So the question is really: What do we think of our gimmick?

Alex: There are people who leave us comments on Myspace saying, “You guys have too many pretty-boys in your band to be metal. You don’t look goblin enough. You’re wearing these collared shirts…that’s not goblin. What Tim I think has said before is that we would rather let the music speak for itself and kind of look more respectable. If we wore costumes we would just be compared to Gwar and Lordi.

Tim: I actually won’t take credit for that. That was actually Alex Duddy’s initial complaint about the band. We have really good music and people like us for our music first. I mean, they like us for our gimmick first and then they’re like, “Wait, this music is actually pretty good.” And that’s what should speak for itself.

Alex: The name and the theme are what draw people in, but in the end what they like about it is the music. Anyone who would discredit us or dislike us because we didn’t act more goblin are not really fans of the music to begin with, so we’re not missing them if they’re not coming to our shows anymore.

Tim: I think there is a theatrical aspect and a musical aspect. I know a lot of people are into the theatrics of music, like look at Britney Spears concerts, or pop music concerts in general. It’s a show, you know, I completely understand that, but I don’t think that’s what we should be about.

Continued next post...

So despite what some people have postulated online on forums, you are not a joke band?

Tim: That’s a hard question to answer. I think that we’re a joke band in the sense that we, well…

Alex: Well, there is a difference between a joke band and a band that doesn’t take themselves too seriously, and I think we’re the latter. I mean, we obviously put a lot of time and effort into the music. When I think of joke bands I think of putting together a bunch of riffs and writing a bunch of funny lyrics. Not a lot of deliberation over writing, you know, and there is not a lot of….

Austin: Crotchduster.

Alex: Yeah.

Tim: I’d say rather that it’s putting the joke in front of the music, and we put the music in front of the joke. However, I think also this is the opinion of myself and Alex and the other Alex [but not necessarily everyone]. There is an argument to be made for theatrics. I think if we were really into it and really theatrical we might be more successful and maybe even that might be better for us. It’s just not what I want to do, personally. But I could see like, Nicky for example leans more toward a theatrical approach to it. And I know a lot of people would like it more if we did do that.

Austin: Well, at our first performance at the Whisky A Go Go battle of the bands the judges said that we didn’t really look convincing enough. They wanted to, like, listen to our set and be all pumped up to want to fight goblins. And there is something to be said for looking convincing, looking like you want to fight goblins or something, but that should be secondary to the music.

Alex: I’d like to interrupt the interview for a pigeon fight…oh, never mind.

Tim: They’re still circling.

Alex: They’re still circling. Okay. There’s a little one. Yeah, I agree. We were playing the music live but it seemed like the music and the lyrics weren’t quite connecting in terms of our presence. Tim was obviously [one of the] songwriters so he had more of a presence that we did—Austin and I for example looked during our first few performances like Tim put sheet music in front of us and then we learned it and didn’t know anything else about the band. You have to have fun with music like this. You can’t just, like, stand there and play it and look at the ground. At the same time we don’t like to go overboard with it and draw more attention to the theatrics of it than the actual musical aspects of it.

How do you guys get gigs?

Tim: Actually, that’s an amazing aspect to this band. It’s what kind of drew me into making this band a more serious project. All of the gigs we’ve played we’ve been offered. I didn’t have to work for a single show we ever played. At first it was just a few shows and it was like, “Oh, that’s cool. I guess I’m not going to book anything and just see what happens.” We have like four shows this summer that were offered to us and we accepted. We don’t have work for it. It’s usually fans of our music that have a place for us to play and they’ll just be like, “Come play in Arizona,” and we’ll be like, “Pay us, because we have to drive.”

For example, actually, we got offered a show for…I should back up. There’s this online computer game called Kingdom of Loathing. It’s just this online text game. It doesn’t really matter. It has gotten really popular over the past couple years to the point that there are half a million users. It’s still really underground. If you ask around probably nobody will say they know what Kingdom of Loathing is. There is a big fan base and I happen to have a connection with the creator of it. Just a random story, I don’t really want to go into it, but they’ve been trying to get us play for the KOL conference. They have a conference every year in Arizona where they invite all the users and whoever can make it just comes. The first time they had it was like 100 people came, or 50 people came and then the next time there was more and more. This is the fourth one I think and they’re expecting like three- to five-hundred people. Last year they had musical guests and this year they’ve having a more intense show, and we got invited. We’re playing with the Mini Bosses, which are a pretty famous video game, Nintendo-core band, and MC Frontalot, which is a nerdy rapper, and a few others, I think. And this is happening at a venue called the Sets in Arizona which I guess houses like a thousand people. So they’re expecting a big turnout and we’re getting reimbursed for all our travel costs and staying costs so it’s great for us because we don’t have to pay anything; we just go there and play and have fun. That’s the kind of stuff we’ve been experiencing lately. Like, that’s just the peak example of it.

Alex: We haven’t had our drummer explode yet. [Spencer doesn’t like playing shows]

How many albums have you sold?

Ashleigh: Millions.

Tim: Uh…between 200 and 300. I have to figure it out. I’m not sure.

Austin: What about our iTunes numbers?

Tim: Oh, iTunes. Yeah, we’re doing really well on iTunes. We put up our album…I mean, I e-mailed iTunes, I didn’t even think they’d put us on. And they forwarded us a link to this website which you can send stuff to and iTunes aggregates records for them. This company doesn’t take any money, I mean, we pay yearly fee of eight dollars to submit our album to iTunes, Napster, Emusic, like all these services. And then they put them up. And the first month we had it up we advertised it a little bit and we sold…I don’t remember the numbers of record sales, but we sold fifty dollars worth. Then the next month it exploded and we sold $120 dollars worth, which is actually a lot considering we get 35 cents per song. We’ve been selling full albums. And I think we’ve sold something like 12 in the US and like 2 in the UK, and more just individual songs that people liked. And the more amazing thing is that if you look at the iTunes store you know you can review albums that you buy. And you look for a lot of big bands, and people are buying them, obviously, but nobody’s saying anything, because they’re buying them because of the name, or maybe the band. But for our stuff it seems like people are finding it and checking it out and really, really liking it to the point that we have 13 or 14 reviews just on iTunes that are just like little blurbs where people are like, “This is amazing. I’m really glad I found you guys. I’m really glad you guys are doing this.” That was really just positive.

Alex: Not to mention we were on the metal indie spotlight on iTunes.

Tim: Oh yeah. Somebody at iTunes really liked us and they put us on the indie metal spotlight for a month.

Alex: We’re up there with like Killswitch and In Flames, and like bands that…really awesome bands that we’re fans of. We’re just put up there with those bands on this compilation. It’s pretty cool.

Have your sales on iTunes gone up since that happened?

Tim: That was the month when we sold the 120. But we actually haven’t gotten sales numbers for April yet, so we might be selling more or less or I don’t know. That should be out by the 15th because it’s 45 days after sales. I don’t know, I have to figure it out, but it should be up soon. [Since then, sales have tripled]

So it seems like you’ve gotten pretty good response for your first album. Are you working on another one now?

Tim: Yep, we’re working on a bunch of new songs. We have five songs in progress, in various stages of completion. There is a lot of work to do and it’s really hard to do it when Nicky and I are the songwriters and we’re so far apart. It’s just really hard to collaborate. We’ve actually had a lot of tension in the band because of that.

Alex: It’s hard to find places for everyone in the band because now we have and additional vocalist, Alex Duddy. So it’s hard to decide: Okay, what parts does Nicky sing on? What parts does Tim sing on? What parts does Alex Duddy sing on? And there is also the question of who can sing what parts better than whom? There is a lot more…because “Goblin Island” is just the two of them, now with this new one…

Tim: We’re trying to include everyone. It’s just causing tension in the band because we’re still trying to figure out what we’re going to do. Because we’re all here and we’re all playing all the time and Nicky’s the only one out there, it almost feels, you know, like we’re replacing him, and we’re just doing everything without him. And we don’t want to do that because we all like the guy, never mind that he’s the co-founder of the band. It’s like, he’s a really good musician and he writes half the songs. But we’re working through it and I’m sure we’ll get out of it okay. Basically, everything will be better once we’re all out of college and we can either figure out a more consistent way to deal with this band.

Right now, the way it’s been going is we’ve had different lineups for recording…or, different ways of dividing the vocal parts when we sing live and when we have it on the album.

Alex: Pretty much the thing that is definite since we have such a buzz going around us o the internet, like the least we can do, which we’re doing, is play as many shows as are offered to us as we can make. I mean, this recording thing may take forever but we have to continue to promote what we have already, so that when the time comes for everything to be more conveniently thought out, when Nicky’s more available, and all that, once that happens, we’ll actually be a lot further than from how it started, so there is kind of a plateau to start from.

Tim: Also this album is probably going to get a lot more time to be recorded this summer when Nicky and I are in the same place. So probably all of these songs will get finished this summer, and then we’re hoping for a winter release, but we might definitely push that back if we find that we need more time. Because this album has been taking exponentially more time than Goblin Island because we really want to top ourselves and we really don’t want to release the same thing. We kinda want to take it, I don’t know, both in a more serious direction and a more cohesive direction, but also keep the same level of fun that we had on the first album, the same level of energy. Which, you know, is a really hard balance to strike. Nicky and I have had many, many fights on the subject.

Something I got a kick out of was what happened to you yesterday when someone on the Ozzfest forums knew who Nekrogoblikon was and was somewhat amazed that you were in the band.

Alex:
Yeah, this didn’t happen yesterday, this happened the day of and after our show on May 5th in Los Gatos. I was on the Ozzfest.com message board, because, uh, I’m a geek, and every now and then when I get bored I go on message boards to see what people are talking about. And I was like, you know, we need as many people to come to the show as possible so I might as well promote us on message boards. So, the title is: “Anyone living in the Bay Area, if you’ve got nothing to do, I’m in a band called Nekrogoblikon, here’s our site. If you like Children of Bodom and Fintroll, you might like this. It’s eight dollars. Come check it out.” So a couple messages reply and the second one down is: “You’re actually in Nekrogoblikon?” Not only has this guy heard of the band but he’s kind of amazed that a member of Nekrogoblikon would be losery enough to post on a message board.

Ashleigh: Maybe he was assuming we were all illiterate.

Alex: Then the guy after him says, “Well, that doesn’t surprise me. Nekrogoblikon is not that big of a band. I could see them coming here to promote them.” So that guy also knew who we were. Then another message was, “Yeah, man. I love your music. I live in Antioch, you should come play here.”

Ashleigh: That’s where my ex-boyfriend’s from. Unless he meant in Israel.

Tim: The craziest part about all this is like, how much of a viral promotion this band has had. Because it’s gimmicky and it’s really easy to spread. Because if we were just a metal band the way Inquest was, even if people liked us, it wouldn’t be like, “Hey, you should check out this metal band that’s kind of alright,” it would be, “Hey, check out this weird-as-hell goblin metal band that I found.” So that’s the way it spread. We just stuck out in people’s minds because we’re really silly and there is not a lot of silliness in metal these days.

Ashleigh: There should be.

Tim: There should be, yeah. Metal is a silly genre. I was in the post office in Sunnyvale mailing out Goblin Island albums when we first finished the album, and some guy came up to me and was like, “Hey, you’re in Nekrogoblikon, right?” And I was like, “Wow.” I gave him and album and autographed it…it was just like, wow.

I’ve heard that you’ve encouraged members of the band who use the Myspace website to be kind of distant and mysterious when responding to fans.

Alex: That was a while ago.

Are you still doing that?

Tim: There original image of the band was we wanted to have it so where like, nobody really knew who we were or what kind of like…I wanted to make it seem like the band had been around forever, and people were just now discovering it. I wanted to build this buzz of like, “Hey, have you heard of Nekrogoblikon? There’s this band that, like…nobody knows about them. They’re just goblins.” You know, we wanted to have that kind of an image, like really, really mysterious but funny and kind of…I don’t know. But we’ve kind of gotten away from that because it’s really hard to keep up and it’s really hard to maintain that personality the whole time, especially live. Once we started playing shows our real personalities cut through, and it’s just like, that’s not who we are. We’re really silly people.

Ashleigh: But we love the internet!

Tim: We do love the internet.

Ashleigh: Excelsior!

Alex: Write that down.

Tim: I really do encourage the other band members to like post, talk to people on the Myspace, because I don’t have time and it’s really a hassle.

Alex: I’ve actually been speaking for Tim a lot on our Myspace. It would be like, people would be like, “Can I get a number to contact you?” And I was like, “Here’s Tim’s number.”

Tim: And yeah, that’s fine. I don’t know, because of Nekrogoblikon I get like a shitload of phone calls every day, whether it’s being offered shows or like drummers asking to do stuff.

How do you respond to people on the Myspace who say, “You should come to Canada,” or “You should come to New Zealand?” Is that something you hope to do for future tours?

Ashleigh: Uproarious laughter.

Alex: Half the time, even when it's in the US, I’m like, “I don’t even know where the hell that is.”

[At this point Ashleigh begins to stuff pieces of scone into my mouth]
Tim: Shove that scone in her mouth.

Austin: It’s really flattering but…umph.

[Ashleigh has stuffed scone into Austin’s mouth.]

Austin: Excuse me while I eat scone…

Ashleigh: I, Austin Nickel…

Austin: Okay. As I was saying, it’s really flattering but we don’t really have a lot of money or the means to go to obscure towns we’ve never heard of.

Ashleigh: We’re not like The Faceless or Sonata Arctica, we don’t have our own private jets to just fly around like those bands. It hurts us, but it also is wonderful that these people all want to see us.

Austin: Yeah, so, in closing, they should come here and listen to us.

Alex: There will be more Santa Barbara. shows, hopefully, in the future, when we get a drummer who is not against the idea of playing shows. We’re hoping to just like… Tim and I were talking about this the other day: we would be down to play shows in I.V. like every other day. Give us a place to play, give us ample time and make it a reasonable price [Whiskey *cough-cough*] and we’ll do it, you know.

-Timbus

theres some good reading there, and it gives a bit more of an insight
into the band than i had before. it took me about an hour to read but was worth it :lol: :lol:

That was great.

'“Hey, check out this weird-as-hell goblin metal band that I found.”'

That's pretty much what I did the day after I discovered you guys. Prior to finding your MySpace, I had like, a month long goblin gimmick going, where all I would talk about in school or at work was goblins and how goblins were going to take over. Then when I found Nekrogoblikon, it was like the holy grail.

Anyway, yeah. Awesome interview.

Awesome interview. This answered some of my questions I was saving for later. I remember when I first found this band. Actually, my mentor found it from a Cellador thing, god knows how he found that. He was like, "Yeah, check out this band. Their called... uh... Nekrogoblikon." So I was like, "Whatta goblinkorn?" He said, "Here, it's spelled N-E-K-R-O-G-O-B-L-I-K-O-N." I looked you guys up on MySpace. I listened to part of a song and went, "Already on my top friends," and added you.
I'm friggin addicted to Goblins as it is. Having a band that worships them as I do was like, Heaven. I've been a major fan ever since. I spread the banners and word about Nekrogoblikon everywhere I go.

Anyways...
That's a cool interview. I wish all of you lived in the same town/city so it would be easier. I wish I had a few thousand dollars to bring the band and a couple other bands up to Montana. It'll probably never happen.

I'm gonna buy a Nekrogoblikon shirt tonight. And an album. I never actually bought it. I just got it from my friend, who had torrented it. I'm gonna be honest and good hearted and support my favorite band. Plus I wanna see it in person. The case, the cover, etc.

Trevor De Lay

I know how you feel, some bands are only worth piracy, then there's the ones you actually want the whole package for. Plus, we're really poor, so you know, we're definitely one of those "full package" bands. Plus I think our stuff got pulled from demonoid and I'm not sure where else it was/is.