Eyefear Appreciation

Justice Impaled

Spinkicks for justice!
Jun 17, 2006
Orange, NSW
Being a noob to this forum I figured no better way to introduce myself than stating my love for Eyefear! :p

There's a lot of melodic/prog metal bands (power, heavy, whatever!) out there, but its hard to find one that stands out.
Eyefear to me is that, Danny's powerful vocals, to the thick heavy melodic riffing that stands apart from the stock speedy powerchords/wanky guitar shreds, to the intricate keyboard parts, bodacious basslines, and of course the drumming style, which isnt your straight speedy double kick stuff, but more though out rhythmic playing which is something a lot of new drummers dont really do.

I was gonna go into a big epic musicology speel but i wont, because non-musicians would find it boring...

Did anyone else do music in the hsc/vce/state equivalent of finishing high school?

Being a noob to this forum I figured no better way to introduce myself than stating my love for Eyefear! :p

There's a lot of melodic/prog metal bands (power, heavy, whatever!) out there, but its hard to find one that stands out.
Eyefear to me is that, Danny's powerful vocals, to the thick heavy melodic riffing that stands apart from the stock speedy powerchords/wanky guitar shreds, to the intricate keyboard parts, bodacious basslines, and of course the drumming style, which isnt your straight speedy double kick stuff, but more though out rhythmic playing which is something a lot of new drummers dont really do.

I was gonna go into a big epic musicology speel but i wont, because non-musicians would find it boring...

Did anyone else do music in the hsc/vce/state equivalent of finishing high school?

Hey,

glad you enjoy our music, thanks for the support. High school, now theres an era I wouldnt mind returning too! The only 2 classes I was really interested in was Music (so I could jam with mates) and art (so i could draw big ass Metal band logos to take home!).....ah yes.......what a time.

cheers,

SammyG

Yeah music at school was bad-arse. My teacher didn't really like the fact that I played a bunch of metal songs all the time though.

yep did music for HSC and found it really difficult relating the metal genre with what was accepted as "music" (back in Sydney in late 80's) - today it seems more acceptable for students to embrace metal and get recognition for their studies - its also may be a surprise how many prominent Melbourne Metal players are actually school teachers

down here in Tassie the Conservatorium of Music has made a Rock Studies stream, I pretty much get to play guitar all day, then jam and then get lessons off one of my favourite guitar players... great times.

Awesome ! Do they discuss metal as a music subject ?

Tassie ? beautiful part of the world there, hows the metal scene there ? I know more and more bands are playing there these days...and of course Psycroptic hail from there

yeah they discuss all kinds. It's pretty much all practical and you can play what ever you want, unlike the contemporary (jazz) course and the classical course.

The Metal scene here is pretty quality once you wade most of it. There's a young band called VulgaR who can be pretty jaw dropping good fun, they are pretty amazing for their age! and there's good old Mepho and M.S.I.

Yeah music at school was bad-arse. My teacher didn't really like the fact that I played a bunch of metal songs all the time though.

I miss the those days. I will never forget when we played at a school function one night that was full of parents. We were a thrash metal band and i was playing bass at that time. Zain was on drums and the guitarist was Micheal Carlisle who was the guitar player for a long period of Mortification !!!! We still have footage of that night on video and if you only see the faces on the parents and the amount of them that walked out it was something i will never forget.

Hey there, I was at the Black Majesty gig last night at The Central Club Hotel, and yea, it was the first time I'd seen/heard Danny sing. It was absolutely mindblowing (so was his hair), so yea, thought I'd check the band out, and here I am. Heh. With the new album coming out soon, I'm guessing you guys won't be gigging much? Ah well.

And gee, I wish I'd gotten into metal during high school, but the music scene where I came from (Singapore) was absolutely horrid. So yea, I'm so glad I'm in Melbourne now, it's so much better here. I'm actually struggling to keep up with my "gig fund". Heh.

Anyway, back to the topic, nope didn't do music in school, I did it outside of school. Have been playing the piano since I was 6 I think. And yea, just recently switched to a keyboard and got myself in a prog metal band. I was never into studying music for exams and stuff. Back when I was doing piano lessons and all, I absolutely hated it. But now that I'm doing it just for my own pleasure, I want so much more. Heh. So yea, I think studying music spoils it for me. But man, that course in Tassie sounds awesome! Heh.

Yeah Danny was absolutely amazing with Black Majesty saturday night. I must say, seeing "Guardian" live is definitely one of my favorite local gig moments. Whenever Black Majesty announce a gig, my first thought is always "Man I hope they do Guardian with Danny" haha.

Oh! You're in the OzProg forums too, aren't you? Or am I just seeing double?

Yea, when Gio first started singing that night, I was like "Man... that guy's good." And then Danny came on, and I was like "He's a God...". Heh. I'd really like to see him again, hopefully with Eyefear the next time round.

Danny Brings it live!! I can attest to that!! Eyefear slayed at BARfest in SF last year... I certainly hope to see them again!
There are a lot miles (and even more kilometers) between here down there though... :(

What's not to appreciate bout EYEFEAR!
They are uber talented and feature the sexiest keyboardist this side of Rick Wakeman.Imagine the damage the man could do with a keytar. How ya doing Sammy?:worship:

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh f#@k me, I nearly fell off my chair while reading that. Dave you are a funny guy!!!

You know what the scary thing is, I have a picture of me with a keytar!! when I used to work at hydes my boss brought his in from the 80's, I'll see if I can find the pics, me and a mate thought it would be funny to stand on our cars and take pics with it!! hmmmm, where are they now......

Yeah Danny was absolutely amazing with Black Majesty saturday night. I must say, seeing "Guardian" live is definitely one of my favorite local gig moments. Whenever Black Majesty announce a gig, my first thought is always "Man I hope they do Guardian with Danny" haha.

actually, many years ago, Con played keyboards for that song with Black majesty at a gig at the old breakers in mooneeponds! I cant tell you how weird it felt to see our guitarist up there playing keyboards with another band.

th_Sammykeytarcar.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here ya go Dave, hope this pic works.