Falls of Rauros - Hail Wind and Hewn Oak

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
e4c128bc71adde8d35892a2cbdb1.jpeg

hey some more Agalloch worship. This is actually damn fine, striking a really accurate balance between the contemplative/firecamp parts and the raging stuff that is actually raging quite thick and windy. In the end no great subtelty nor awesomeness buy or die supreme a la The Mantle, but some strong songwriting with the right kind of atmosphere. I guess you can be my friend and listen.

=> a link

Ummmm.... what?

"Ummmm..... I disagree and feel 128 kbps is a good enough rip to adequately sample the music."

OR

"Ummmm..... I'm still the same pompous, condescending prick I've always been and am just giving you a hard time to exert some sort of comforting intellectual superiority over you, like when I bumped that stupid Nevermoure/Nevermore thread you posted years ago."

It's one or the other, so which one is it?

Ummmm.... what?

"Ummmm..... I disagree and feel 128 kbps is a good enough rip to adequately sample the music."

OR

"Ummmm..... I'm still the same pompous, condescending prick I've always been and am just giving you a hard time to exert some sort of comforting intellectual superiority over you, like when I bumped that stupid Nevermoure/Nevermore thread you posted years ago."

It's one or the other, so which one is it?
can't it be both

also i bumped that thread only because it was the oldest unbumped thread in the forum or some shit, i don't have BEEF with you man

Ok, cool. Just seemed like a strange thing to do.
this forum is here for wasting time so i don't see what's wrong with trying to be a bit creative in how to waste said time

also nicodemix is probably intellectually superior to me yet i still give him a hard time for posing with coca cola clocks and dub buk shirts so it's got nothing to do with that man

that said i am pretty freakin' smart though :headbang:

then it's the former

It just seems to me that the few releases I've heard at that bit rate have been of far inferior quality to the same releases heard at a higher bit rate. I just wanted to be able to give the music a sound judgement without dismissing it unfairly since the description was intriguing. Either way I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

this forum is here for wasting time so i don't see what's wrong with trying to be a bit creative in how to waste said time

Agreed 100%. Hopefully that will change in the not too distant future.

einride said:
also nicodemix is probably intellectually superior to me yet i still give him a hard time for posing with coca cola clocks and dub buk shirts so it's got nothing to do with that man

:kickass:

einride said:
that said i am pretty freakin' smart though :headbang:

Absolutely, nor would I ever suspect otherwise you pompous jackass. :loco:

It just seems to me that the few releases I've heard at that bit rate have been of far inferior quality to the same releases heard at a higher bit rate. I just wanted to be able to give the music a sound judgement without dismissing it unfairly since the description was intriguing. Either way I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

i have done blind tests (not very scientific, but still, tests) with 128, 160, 192 kbps mp3s and linear wavs encoded with LAME and not one person out of those who have dared taken said test, including myself, has been able to get it right.

128k is pretty bad in actuality, and it is certainly possible to differentiate between it and cd audio in good listening conditions, but it very probably good enough for any non-critical listening unless you have really good ears and equipment (maybe you do) and it makes me raise my eyebrow a little when you say you can't even judge the music properly. people do that (maybe you don't) all the time on friggin' MYSPACE and myspace quality is miles worse than any modern 128k mp3.

i haven't heard the music in the OP but i think it's fair to say that if it sounds shit, it's more because it's a shit recording than because it is 128. i'm not going to say definitely say you're wrong before i hear it myself though

EDIT: to put it another way, if someone handed you a cassette tape would that also be too bad to even say "this is good music/this is bad music"? cassette tape is fucking HORRIBLE quality-wise.

Ok, you've convinced me to give it a shot.

I will say though, that I abhor Myspace samples as well. Though whenever I judge something based on what I hear there, it's never, ever a final one. The difference is that I don't have to have that crap eating up hard drive memory so for some reason I find it more tolerable to sample because I'm a lazy prick and don't feel like downloading a crappy rip, and then having to delete said crappy rip from my hard drive. Upon thinking about that philosophy, I realized that the problem is laziness moreso than a legitimate beef, therefore I shall give it a shot.

that makes sense, i guess. 128, or even 96, or a third-generation tape dub, or whatever crappy shit i can get hold of, is good enough for me as a SAMPLE. if that interests me, i just buy the CD. i dunno.

I guess what it boils down to, is that I prefer to give an album (or even just a few songs) a final judgement before purchasing it, which I've found hard to do in the past with low bit rates. That said, before the advent of teh intarweb, that was more or less impossible to do unless you had access to promos, therefore it's a lazy philosophy by its very nature.

i'm listening now, and this is definitely just a shitty recording that would have sounded much the same in a higher bitrate

still only 1 minute into the first proper song though so i'll talk about the actual music later