• Circle

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Eurynome

Kukkahattutäti
Apr 19, 2011
Helsinki
www.eurynome.fi
So which ones do you like best? Pick up to three, otherwise it might be too difficult. [I feel like leaving out #5 altogether, but for the sake of completeness...]

Damn, that's hard... Am Universum is obviously the best (seriously though, I don't mind that cover too much - sure, it looks like dog's excrement, but whataheck, it's stylish).

To be quite honest though, I like Amorphis' singles'/EP's covers more than album ones... well, usually. (Alone and My Kantele covers are pretty cool, especially the latter. BWD too, of course. Also, Privilege of Evil is an awesome death metal cover)

Anyway, here it goes:

Eclipse
Tales
Tuonela

This is in no particular order. I just like these 3 the most. Silent Waters vs Eclipse in a Tomi J era album was a hard choice though. Alternative cover of TBOT also deserves a mention (the Väinämöinen one).

Yes, I'm a bitch for not liking Elegy cover. That album is absolutely perfect, but I never got into that cover. Don't hate me Eurynome, I know you love it.

Don't hate me Eurynome

As if I'd ever.
Hug.gif
I was myself torn between Elegy and Magic & Mayhem, but the former deserves the honor because it was my introduction to the band. The other two I voted for are Eclipse (iconic) and Skyforger (the tree-hugging hippie in me shall never die).
Wink.gif

Eclipse or Silent Waters, I still can't decide between them. Then again I always joke that there's "wrong swan" in SW cover, because the Swan of Tuonela is originally whooper swan and not mute swan, like in the cover. :D But that's just side issue, I really like the mood in it.
Also the entire booklets for these two and The Beginning of Times are beautiful work. And I like also Tuonela, sometimes the less is more and the rowan leaf creates autumnal feeling. Oh yes, and Black Winter Day-cover is among my favourites as well!

My vote goes for Tales, Eclipse and Circle.
Speaking about booklet artwork, they can hardly top Eclipse. But we will see what Circle has to show up.

Wait, how do you know?

I can't recall, was there an actual clarification of some sort in Kalevala. That seems...odd.

While Kalevala has Karelian origins, whooper swan (which is also national bird of Finland) was kind of "totem animal" to Karelian people. They made up many myths and beliefs about these birds - including this Swan of Tuonela-myth. But mute swan has never played the part in Finnish-Karelian folklore, because it's not original species in Finnish fauna but brought here from elsewhere. ;)

While Kalevala has Karelian origins, whooper swan (which is also national bird of Finland) was kind of "totem animal" to Karelian people. They made up many myths and beliefs about these birds - including this Swan of Tuonela-myth. But mute swan has never played the part in Finnish-Karelian folklore, because it's not original species in Finnish fauna but brought here from elsewhere. ;)

Good clarification. It's nice (and rare) to meet people interested in their folklore.
Thanks.

So which ones do you like best? Pick up to three, otherwise it might be too difficult. [I feel like leaving out #5 altogether, but for the sake of completeness...]

I like the #5, everyone I show it to go "wtf is this?"

But I'd say Elegy because the iconic symbol represents an ancient way of life. I love ancient cultures and artwork. Now that has evolved into suns and other natural symbols, complete with horses jaws and antler moons on Art Nouveau chicks!

Awesome, I wasn't paying attention to specific types of swan. :worship:
So who's eating crow right now? :loco:

Tales
Eclipse (didn´t like t-shirts at all)
Silent Waters (Skyforger is almost as nice)

In that order

But I don´t watch this only by the cover, but all the artwork of the album. Also the booklets affects to my opinion. That´s because if the cover is nice but all inside is not so god, a big picture falls down.
So, I have a feeling this new Bates art work might will be one of my favourite, but can´s say yet.

It is a hard poll, but I say Elegy. No, I must say Silent Waters or Circle. But I was supposed to choose only one. Soooo it is Silent Waters.

I love tuonela, eclipse, silent waters, skyforger and magic & mayhem pretty much equally.

The hopeless days cover is also really nice, although most people seem to not like it ;)