First band to do Death Metal Growls?

VadimVon said:
CELTIC FROST was the first band to incorporate what would eventually become your typical death metal vocal.

I don't think they were the first, but I do think they get criminally overlooked in popularising a more harsh form of vocal delivery.

Lets get the facts here.

Possessed dont use death growls, they are far too normal sounding. Its just a bit of distorted yelling.

The guy who said Skinny Puppy or something use the first black metal vocals is an idiot. The Return by Bathory was made a year before it, that is a pure black metal album.

metal paddy said:
the 1st band is venom dudes they invented metal music:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Seems like this would be right to me. Venom does out date all those other guys, but I don't know if you would consider his vocals growls.
If not them than it was definately Poisen, they're heavy as shit :tickled:

thought i would add,Alters of madness was not Morbid Angels first album.

they released an album in 1986 called 'abominations of desolation'(the demo of this was called 'abominations of god' )

i believe morbid angel was formed in 85-they also appeared early on a new renaissance comp. called satans revenge 2-'thy kingdom come' was the song.
although this is early death metal the vocals werent what i would call 'Growly' more raspy.

hellhammer is pre-celtic frost -1983

possessed? first black metal maybe.

id pick pestilence as one of the first to have heavy growly vocals.

napalm death and all the UK bands of the time werent doing death metal.

I'd say for what we consider true growly death vocals,they came about sometime after deaths first record.(ie:suffocation,obituary etc.)

i could dig thru my collection and find who exactly the first is....i have almost everything heavy from the mid 80s up to the 90s.

more importantly, who actually cares about deliberating over who was the 'first' to do this and that slightly differently, it's pretty sterile discussion.

Anyway, music is pretty much constantly evoloving, I don't see the need to bicker about who added X or Y or whatever.

High On Maiden said:
more importantly, who actually cares about deliberating over who was the 'first' to do this and that slightly differently, it's pretty sterile discussion.

Anyway, music is pretty much constantly evoloving, I don't see the need to bicker about who added X or Y or whatever.

It doesn't really matter I was just curious. Kind of a cool thing to know. :)

Possessed, Death, and Morbid Angel pretty much started the genre, all have been considered the beginnings of death metal.....