FIRST TIME RECORDING VOCALS

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
hey everyone, id like for you to listen to this clip of a song i recorded today with our vocalist. its my first time recording vocals in a somewhat professional manner, and id love everyone's opinions on how it sounds, what i can do to make it better, etc.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/defiancevox1.mp3

EDIT: re-upload: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/defiancevox2.mp3

EDIT: what i did was double track each part with the mic on a stand behind a pop filter. the mic is an unidentified Shure. looks like a beta 57, but it doesnt say anything except "SHURE" on it above the on/off switch. would it be better to be handheld? cupped? or leave it on the stand? is there too much reverb? i know that a little delay helps, how should i go about doing that? also i know half of getting a good sound is in the performance itself, but is there anything i can add as far as a light distortion to give it that ballsy tough-guy sound? i did pitch shift his voice by about -100 cents on the left side to blend with his normal pitch, should i refrain from that?

please share what you think!!!

DUDE! His voice sounds AWESOME!

I like the freuquency balance it has a LOT, sounds fucking MEAN.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS;

COMPRESS THE FUCK OUT OF IT WITH A FAST, FAST, FAST FET/1176 style plug-in. Pick you poison:

Stillwill Rocket
Softube FET
Waves or UAD 1176, etc...

I bet you with a 20:1 ratio, FAST AS FUCK attack and medium to fast-ish release, his shit will be SLAMMING...

Good job, dude!

shit slays. just need to tame and compress the vocals a tiny bit.
nice overall mix. i'd like to know what you used for guitars

im working on the compression right now so hopefully something good comes outt that. my chain is guitar DI > TSS > LeGion (for one guitar)/TSE x30(for other guitar) > LeCab w/ impulses.

DUDE! His voice sounds AWESOME!

I like the freuquency balance it has a LOT, sounds fucking MEAN.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS;

COMPRESS THE FUCK OUT OF IT WITH A FAST, FAST, FAST FET/1176 style plug-in. Pick you poison:

Stillwill Rocket
Softube FET
Waves or UAD 1176, etc...

I bet you with a 20:1 ratio, FAST AS FUCK attack and medium to fast-ish release, his shit will be SLAMMING...

Good job, dude!

thanks a lot for the compression tip, its helping a lot! i put some rocket on there, and idk if i should have done this, but i put a tss at the beginning of the vocal chain to give it a little more umph. ill repost later when i have it how i want.

thanks a lot for the compression tip, its helping a lot! i put some rocket on there, and idk if i should have done this, but i put a tss at the beginning of the vocal chain to give it a little more umph. ill repost later when i have it how i want.

nothing wrong with that! i heard a tiny bit more lows that I'd like in the vox recording so the tss probably did an ace job of smoothing those out while adding a nice edge.

just be careful thats its not adding too much of the spikey-high-mid weird thing that TS's can sometimes introduce to a signal..

Both are really really ace. I can't decide. Sorry. Second one definitely sounds more real though, but less "larger than life".

Killer vocalist though.