Fractal.

Agreed. I'd be curious to see the number of sales they post from it - if indeed Pivotal would release that.

I like it. I have to admit though, it does have tinges of metalcore, or new-styled metal, or whatever you want to call it. Skyfire has always had that style of forceful, moderately chuggy riffing that new metal bands like to use but combined with the vocals here it definitely brings those bands to mind. I would say Esoteric is the best track, flows nicely without getting boring whereas the other tracks drag a bit.

I'm not trolling. I've been using these forums for 8 years. I explained my reasons and if you disagree you're fully entitled to explain why too. I assume your negative attitude means you don't like metalcore?

I'm not trolling. I've been using these forums for 8 years. I explained my reasons and if you disagree you're fully entitled to explain why too. I assume your negative attitude means you don't like metalcore?

I'm actually a pretty big fan of real hardcore (Iron Age, Have Heart, Swamp Thing, Cro-Mags, Converge, DRI, melodic hardcore like Ignite and Rise Against, post-hardcore like Thrice, etc etc) and an even bigger fan of grind and powerviolence (both genres relying heavily on hardcore/punk influence). Skyfire is not metalcore, because metalcore requires hardcore influence and if you honestly, seriously hear that then I don't know what else to tell you. I can see people calling Chaos Feeds Life metalcore because of the vocals and the punkiness of the riffs, but surely not Skyfire. Your concept of musical genre needs to be reviewed.

What you've said in your first post is akin to "So guys, I definitely hear tinges of hip hop and country here.." If you weren't trolling, your comment is of ignorance (that you simply didn't know what metalcore is), so you must excuse me for accusing you of being a troll. I hope we can still be friends. <3

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, I said there were tinges. I didn't say Skyfire were metalcore.
Anyway, to restate my reasons; the vocals sound closer to Trivium than any metal I've heard. The chugging riffing at the start of Bereaved in Denial is rather core-ish, it certainly doesn't sound like any metal I've heard. The syncopation with emphasis on the first beat in a lot of the riffs is used a lot in core music, not so much in metal.
Again, there's a slight influence - I would have thought that undeniable. That means I think it's not 100% metal, no big deal. It's not an insult to the band or anything, unless you don't like core music.

You're entitled to your opinion, although I, and this board's inhabitants will find your opinion rather ridiculous. The Trivium comparison (if anything, Jocke sounds like a young Mikael Stanne imo) in particular had me scratching my head for a bit...

:confused:

Maybe in that intro riff to Bereaved in Denial, but I'm really not seeing the Heafy vocal comparison. Considering they cite their influences as Symphony X and Bal-Sagoth for these albums, I just don't really agree with the metalcore thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metalcore: ? The intro riff on Bereaved in Denial isn't even tinged with metalcore. Since when is it metalcore for doing rhythmic palm mutes on open notes to get some attitude going in the song? They don't even do it in the metalcore "oh look how badass I think I am with these super fast triplets that are mixed up in tempo to make me look even gayer for thinking it's cool" way.

Heafy Comparison: ? I don't see even the slightest similarity. Jocke = badass, tons of range, death rasp. Heafy = faggot trying to pass a stone on every song.

Just for shits and giggles, you guys should check out the charts on Skyfire's last.fm page now that the EP has been released: :loco:

http://www.last.fm/music/Skyfire

hint: dudes be eatin' up Fractal! hopefully purchasing, but ya know. internet kiddos these days.