Frontiers

maestro41

May 2, 2011
hey there folks,
does anyone know how I can obtain the mp3 for "Frontiers" which was released in Japan? I really like that song. thx

Since the question has been answered can this be a thread about how awesome on Frontiers is? I prefer it to most of The Odyssey, possibly even my third favourite on that album overall. A great song.

It doesn't sound like it's supposed to be a standalone song, more like an outtake of a long song. the Odyssey? Not saying I don't like it, in fact I think it's one of the better songs on the Odyssey, but it does sound a bit awkward too, as if half of the song is missing. It's flat as a pancake!

Since the question has been answered can this be a thread about how awesome on Frontiers is? I prefer it to most of The Odyssey, possibly even my third favourite on that album overall. A great song.

yeah man, I dig it. I love that song, equal to Inferno and Incantations.

Frontiers is awesome!

I like a lot the chorus, with Allen answering the choir. Speaking of that, in the last two albums I have missed that kind of "organic" or "real" choir, when all of SX members (or at least P and Romeo) were actually singing. There have been many interesting Choir or Choir-Allen parts in the past (OSaS, Egypt, Communion, Out of The Ashes, Lady of the Snow, DWoT, etc.), but now in PL and Iconoclast the choir is just like "atmospheric", being limited without lyrics and with simple or even one-note melodies (Oculus ex inferni, Revelation, Iconloclast, Heretic, etc.).

Frontiers is awesome!

I like a lot the chorus, with Allen answering the choir. Speaking of that, in the last two albums I have missed that kind of "organic" or "real" choir, when all of SX members (or at least P and Romeo) were actually singing. There have been many interesting Choir or Choir-Allen parts in the past (OSaS, Egypt, Communion, Out of The Ashes, Lady of the Snow, DWoT, etc.), but now in PL and Iconoclast the choir is just like "atmospheric", being limited without lyrics and with simple or even one-note melodies (Oculus ex inferni, Revelation, Iconloclast, Heretic, etc.).

I completely agree with you, although I'm pretty sure P and MJR have never sung on the albums themselves (only live). I think all the album vocals are done by Russ.

Anyway, I think the reason MJR left Frontiers off of The Odyssey is because it didn't fit thematically (or really even musically) with the rest of the album, or with the band's core sound, to be honest. It is very different, but in a good way. I wish they'd make another song with a similar sound.

in the last two albums I have missed that kind of "organic" or "real" choir, when all of SX members (or at least P and Romeo) were actually singing.

Agreed.

Sadly, I think this is a Symphony X staple that has purposefully been shelved. With the current direction leaning towards appeasing a more "general" heavy metal audience, it would be counter-intuitive to utilize choir vocals - they just aren't easily accessible or digestible, in my opinion.

To me, Frontiers it's an incredible-too-impressive song, but it doesn't fit The Odyssey album style, more agressive and dark. I think that's why they didn't put it into.

Melodically I think it fits on the Odyssey tbh. Aside from it being a Star Trek tribute song (which I don't mind) I think its a pretty good track in general. Not the best on the album by any means but its better than a filler.