GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's about 15 albums I'm familiar with from this year, so I'll just pick from those and not be arsed to listen to more:
  1. Therion - Deggial
  2. Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation
  3. Orange Goblin - The Big Black
  4. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
  5. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
  6. Stratovarius - Infinite
  7. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
  8. Nightwish - Wishmaster
  9. Isis - Celestial
  10. Alice Cooper - Brutal Planet

I'm about halfway through re-listening to a playlist of this year and it was a pretty damn good year for technical death metal, or well, death metal in general I suppose. I'm just a little surprised at how highly this forum rates that Immolation album. Close to a World Below is like a bowl of muesli with raisins. You take a spoonful of this soggy and mushy concoction of old wheat grains and oat and try to gulp it down the best you can. However every other spoon or so contains a single raisin which entices your taste buds and makes it bearable. By the end of the bowl, you are now out of raisins, and you realize that you are only eating this muesli because of it.

Not knocking Immolation though, they have better albums, and are cool live. Close to a World Below however, is the type of shit that spawned Portal, which is straight porridge.

I'm about halfway through re-listening to a playlist of this year and it was a pretty damn good year for technical death metal, or well, death metal in general I suppose. I'm just a little surprised at how highly this forum rates that Immolation album. Close to a World Below is like a bowl of muesli with raisins. You take a spoonful of this soggy and mushy concoction of old wheat grains and oat and try to gulp it down the best you can. However every other spoon or so contains a single raisin which entices your taste buds and makes it bearable. By the end of the bowl, you are now out of raisins, and you realize that you are only eating this muesli because of it.

Not knocking Immolation though, they have better albums, and are cool live. Close to a World Below however, is the type of shit that spawned Portal, which is straight porridge.

Yep. I don't get the hype.

1. Isis - Celestial
2. Craft - Total Soul Rape
3. Vader - Litany
4. Lizzy Borden - Deal With the Devil
5. Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
6. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
7. Metalium - State of Triumph: Chapter Two
8. DIC - Whos Ya Mutha?
9. Motörhead - We Are Motörhead
10. Immolation - Close to a World Below

Thought about putting One Minute Silence - Buy Now...Saved Later on my list but decided it didn't quite fit. Good album though.

Saving the list here for now without numbers since my work is blocking UM for a stupid reason:

Armored Saint - Revelation
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Corrosion of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer
Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Malevolent Creation - Envenomed

Reactions: CiG and Atomic Tide
I don't think Close... is much like Portal tbh, they're both kinda murky/obscure but Close... no more so than their other post-debut 90s albums whereas Portal is a giant worthless mess. That's like blaming Helloween for pop-era Sonata Arctica or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.