GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2006

i mean, it’s actually an exact 50/50 split like others said so i guess they’re in between lol. they’re a way more popular band in more mainstream circles than here though (i.e. the metal archives board jacks it over them iirc), always high on rym charts etc. in-crowd types usually shun them afaik, obviously there are some exceptions

RYM Rating 3.75 / 5.0 from 3,048 ratings
Friends 3.49 from 92 ratings

this is usually a good sign theyre out-crowd, i would never defile my rym friends list with filthy out crowders

I think you're confusing the elitism within black metal (which is already a crowd of elitist in-crowd faggots to begin with) with in-crowd vs out-crowd. Saying Napoleon Bonaparte (or whatever their name is) is 100% out-crowd comes with some very specific implications. You're just talking about the sectarianism with the black metal fart-sniffers.

There are very few out-crowd black metal bands tbh.

Edit: Also aren't the MA users notorious for being elitists?

Black metal is the most in crowd metal genre there is and you can confirm that by looking at who on this forum circle jerks about black metal constantly.

Don't give him ideas, from the number of times I've seen him reset his ratings he might really do it.

Imagine being such an insecure cuck that you reset your ratings on an internet cataloging website because you're afraid of what people will think of them lmao

That is worse than when Zephyrus would delete Dimmu Borgir plays on his last.fm for fear of being ridiculed for having 'shit' taste lmfao

What a shit top 10. I knew this would happen which is why I didn't even bother (also have been super busy). Warning is likely the only album that belongs anywhere on that list.

Yet you added me as a friend. Guess you'll have to delete your account and start over.

you're unticked for music influence though ;)

p.s. the only motivation i've ever had for mass-deleting ratings is feeling like a too-big portion of them are inaccurate, please don't mistake my autism for vanity

I think you're confusing the elitism within black metal (which is already a crowd of elitist in-crowd faggots to begin with) with in-crowd vs out-crowd. Saying Napoleon Bonaparte (or whatever their name is) is 100% out-crowd comes with some very specific implications. You're just talking about the sectarianism with the black metal fart-sniffers.

Edit: Also aren't the MA users notorious for being elitists?

MA is basically a full forum of people like that pitiless wanderer guy, fast forwarding through albums all day. probably elitist and cliquey in their own way but a lot more tuned into modern trends than the in-crowd usually defined around here. i retract my 100% out crowd comment though as i doubt that applies to any band in history, i just think niggury bumgit are more out-crowd than in-. i'd say there's plenty of out crowd BM though, like a lot of DSBM stuff, norsecore, blackgaze, a lot of symphonic stuff, some more dissonant french-influenced stuff, the more hipster-approved genre bending stuff etc.

Last edited:
Im kind of surprised Kill and The God That Never Was didnt make this list. But hey, at least they wont get lumped up with the rest of the garbage on this list. Easily the worst top ten we've had so far.

What a shit top 10. I knew this would happen which is why I didn't even bother (also have been super busy). Warning is likely the only album that belongs anywhere on that list.

They don’t know what’s really going on.
It’s part of a ritual from the past
The dance of the Krow Man

How do we even know Omni's true tastes when he demonstrably pretended to like various bands under various alts? If you check Omni's post history, he had exactly 4 posts about them, all in 2008, and even though he calls Om "one of the best black metal albums I've ever heard" once, he never praised it again after. He was probably catfishing some out-crowd third-wave black metal guy at the time. Dodens similarly only mentions the band five times, but over a wider spread and with no particular praise (unless he used to praise them and then deleted those posts as he did with Children of Bodom, which would only further support that they are an out-crowd band).

lol this is retarded. How many in-crowd symphoblack bands are there outside of Emperor and Summoning? How many DSBM bands outside of maybe a couple of the founders? And even above the Norgies there are out-crowd bands, e.g. Satyricon for being Century Media sellouts and yadda yadda.

lol this is retarded. How many in-crowd symphoblack bands are there outside of Emperor and Summoning? How many DSBM bands outside of maybe a couple of the founders? And even above the Norgies there are out-crowd bands, e.g. Satyricon for being Century Media sellouts and yadda yadda.

Compared to black metal bands that aren't sympho/DSBM/norge? What's the ratio? Maybe I'm wrong.

Compared to black metal bands that aren't sympho/DSBM/norge? What's the ratio? Maybe I'm wrong.

If you were talking about the crowd-ness of "pure" black vs sub-genres then sure, I agree, your post didn't imply that though. Not to mention all the 'Unblack' bands and etc; it would be contradictory for the most in-crowd metal sub-genre to not self-police heavily.