Going to concerts for one band

rahvin said:
but he bathed in the light of a newfound pride for his own survival skills. :)

rahvin.
It still amazes me how he made it, given all the obstacles that came his way... *phew* :)

Dmanx Pit said:
I went to Nile and Napalm Death for Dark Tranquillity only. I like all those bands on the tour, but I probably would have skipped it and worked instead if DT^ weren't on the bill.

So that was $20 for a 5 song DT set.
At least we got a free beer out of it, Joe:p

What about Opeth though? That night sucked, except for the 90 minutes Opeth was on. We had to wait outside in the below freezing weather, go inside where it was just as cold, and sit through Tapping the Vein and Paradise Lost. I was just about asleep by the time Opeth came on.

Siren said:
It still amazes me how he made it, given all the obstacles that came his way... *phew* :)

i guess that was some sort of blessing that only operates on absolute beginners. he had no idea what was going and likely he assumed that, well, when you do something so crazy, things always turn out like that. so let's just go with the flow. :D

rahvin.

I'm just as guilty of paying to see one band. A way I cheat during this process...

See, opening acts don't always make much money. But they do have guest lists. If I can get to a show early enough (and if it's a band I know at least remotely) I'll bring food, beer, laundry, etc. Then I can slip in on a guest list. I still pay the equivalent of a ticket, but it's going directly to the band I'm there to support. Granted, this method isn't foolproof; but it's served me well for quite a few shows.

That's how I end up in the People Who Think They're Special sections, Wildfyr. :lol: My secret is out.

Episode666 said:
That's how I end up in the People Who Think They're Special sections, Wildfyr. :lol: My secret is out.

Ah, I see. How clever! ;)

In the past couple years I have brought "gifts" of many cases of beer to one band and one band only - In Flames - but I did it because I like those guys and I wanted to show my appreciation to them for working their butts off and touring really hard over here despite some not so ideal opening act situations.

I never expected anything in return for it though, but I'm happy to know you were able to make it a reciprocal situation for yourself. ;)

Rebecca

np: Opeth - Deliverance

ps - i'll be back later with some comments on the "Messed Up Relationship" thread. gotta go for now though. bleh.

wildfyr said:
:devil: i didn't see this before i posted my last post here. hehe

Rebecca (lunch break!)
Heh, what happened was that me and DmanX(I'm pretty sure its you) were hanging out at the back of the Troc in Philly after the Nile show, talking to whoever came out, when one of the roadies came out and just gave us a few beers. It wouldn't be that funny if I was old enough to drink, but, considering I"m 19, I found it quite humorous.

I also tried to "steal" a beer from Mikael Stanne. Here's a tip: Never get between that man and alcohol:D

wildfyr said:
In the past couple years I have brought "gifts" of many cases of beer to one band and one band only - In Flames - but I did it because I like those guys and I wanted to show my appreciation to them for working their butts off and touring really hard over here despite some not so ideal opening act situations.

I never expected anything in return for it though, but I'm happy to know you were able to make it a reciprocal situation for yourself. ;)
Now, let's not get snotty. :lol: I didn't get in that show for free on your tab. There isn't anything wrong with showing hospitality, and what you did in Milwaukee was duly admirable. I'm positive you earned the same respect reserved for various beer gods that night.

I never said anywhere that I'd *expect* a free pass - let me clarify. It simply goes along with where I happen to be at the time. Whether it's here doing 14 loads of laundry for a group of guys with absolutely nothing clean to wear; or dragging a few bags of fresh food, smokes and beer up to a bus. So I get invited into a show for free. Big deal. :p

Episode666 said:
Now, let's not get snotty. :lol: I didn't get in that show for free on your tab. There isn't anything wrong with showing hospitality, and what you did in Milwaukee was duly admirable. I'm positive you earned the same respect reserved for various beer gods that night.

I never said anywhere that I'd *expect* a free pass - let me clarify. It simply goes along with where I happen to be at the time. Whether it's here doing 14 loads of laundry for a group of guys with absolutely nothing clean to wear; or dragging a few bags of fresh food, smokes and beer up to a bus. So I get invited into a show for free. Big deal. :p

:eek: Huh? I wasn't trying to be snotty, but I can be if you want! :lol:

Erm, I don't recall ever accusing you of getting into any show on my tab. Where the hell did that come from?

Thanks for the Milwaukee acknowledgment. Beer Godz be praised. Praise be. Namasté :worship:

As for the expectations, I don't believe I ever said that you expected reprocity. And I didn't call you a cheat, either, so I don't know why I sense all this hostility from you. :p I merely stated that I didn't expect anything in return, but actually I lied. In Milwaukee I told them I was bribing them with beer so they'd play something reaaaaaly really old, and they did of course. ;) But they do Clad in Shadows and Behind Space frequently in their sets, so... :^)

Anyway, I'm thrilled that you help out. More people should! One thing though, you could probably try to kick-start that yawner of an Un-Official In Flames forum. Man, back in the days (heh) the Official board would be so FULL of posts about US show anticipations and reviews it would TOTALLY piss off all the old OLD original Swede and other Euro fans back home. :lol: Heh, the good ol' days... *rolls eyes*

Should I have been more snotty? :lol:

Rebecca

Hehe, I remember the beer. The roadie's hand us a bunch of beer that they couldn't take with them, and the enxt thing we know there comes Mikeal Staane with a whole case of beer :)

And my firends have bought the members of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity boxes of Tastykakes (it's exculsively a Philly thing, basically little fudge cupcakes and other assorted pastries in a box). Niklas asked us if it went good with beer :) Although when I turn 21, I just may treat the bands to a few cases of beer :)

And Opeth put on a good concert, although I was utterly bored with the opening acts and it was 20 below outside.

wildfyr said:
Erm, I don't recall ever accusing you of getting into any show on my tab. Where the hell did that come from?
Right here:
but I'm happy to know you were able to make it a reciprocal situation for yourself. ;)
As for the expectations, I don't believe I ever said that you expected reprocity. And I didn't call you a cheat, either, so I don't know why I sense all this hostility from you.
*note to self - Rebecca senses clarifications as hostility*
Anyway, I'm thrilled that you help out. More people should!
I agree. :D If people only knew what these bands had to actually go through to come to their cities. In the USA, since I'm having such a hard time making myself clear today for some inane reason.
One thing though, you could probably try to kick-start that yawner of an Un-Official In Flames forum. Man, back in the days (heh) the Official board would be so FULL of posts about US show anticipations and reviews it would TOTALLY piss off all the old OLD original Swede and other Euro fans back home. :lol: Heh, the good ol' days... *rolls eyes*
Oh yeah! The good old days, where personal information was available about band members, flaming, hate speeches, more flaming, pick-your-favorite-reg polls, outright lies, rumors and......... boy, those were the days. *wipes eyes* Last that I recall, you had registered and posted at the unofficial forum too, oui? You do understand that registered members can start new threads and post to current topics, right? Just checking. ;) Even the old forum went through periods of quiet. But, if it's that much of a yawner, why not start some new topics for people to participate in? Goodness.
Should I have been more snotty? :lol:
Hey, it's your snot. :lol:

Episode666 said:
Right here:

whaaa? i tell you that i'm happy that you are able to work a situation like that to your advantage and that bothers you? sorry, i'm not grasping that one.

Episode666 said:
*note to self - Rebecca senses clarifications as hostility*

i do? where? i thought i was just sharing my side of this experience. allow me to correct your last assessment though, if i may - I, Rebecca, made clarifications. you, Wendy, are the one who seems to be sensing hostility.

Episode666 said:
I agree. :D If people only knew what these bands had to actually go through to come to their cities. In the USA, since I'm having such a hard time making myself clear today for some inane reason.

agreed. whatever the reason(s) for the gifts/aide/assistance whatever doesn't really matter compared to the act of giving itself.

Episode666 said:
Oh yeah! The good old days, where personal information was available about band members, flaming, hate speeches, more flaming, pick-your-favorite-reg polls, outright lies, rumors and......... boy, those were the days. *wipes eyes* Last that I recall, you had registered and posted at the unofficial forum too, oui? You do understand that registered members can start new threads and post to current topics, right? Just checking. ;) Even the old forum went through periods of quiet. But, if it's that much of a yawner, why not start some new topics for people to participate in? Goodness.

well, almost no arguments here. to be honest, i barely keep up with things here, and i'm not particulary interested in investing more time when i'm not that interested in the majority of the threads there, which if i may interject, can often have very similar attributes as the ones you affix to the old board, which doesn't really help my case for not posting there but whatever. The fiasco with the (mostly silent) demise of the Official forum left a not-so-good lasting impression on me, so what if I'm not so keen to want to continue a posting relationship like I had before. Does that make me a non-In Flames fan now?

Blah. Forward not backward, right.

Episode666 said:
Hey, it's your snot. :lol:

ahhaha! good one. :^)

DManx and plfffffft: sssshhhhhhhhh. all that talk about the roadies sharing alcohol with minors might get someone in big trouble! :eek:

i'm glad you two had fun though. :)

wildfyr said:
whaaa? i tell you that i'm happy that you are able to work a situation like that to your advantage and that bothers you? sorry, i'm not grasping that one.

Ya know what? Forget it. Forget I fucking said anything. Just fuck it.

wildfyr said:
One thing though, you could probably try to kick-start that yawner of an Un-Official In Flames forum. Man, back in the days (heh) the Official board would be so FULL of posts about US show anticipations and reviews it would TOTALLY piss off all the old OLD original Swede and other Euro fans back home. :lol: Heh, the good ol' days... *rolls eyes*

i'm pretty sure i shouldn't poke my nose into things that do not concern me, but i'm going to do that anyway because i feel the burning need to put myself in unpleasant situations. :)

when you say something of the kind depicted above to a board administrator, rebecca, you ought to expect at least a not-very-pleased reaction, though of course i understand you weren't trying to place the blame or anything.
moderators are not board fairies that sprinkle threads with pixie dust to make them grow and multiply overnight. they have no control on the quantity/quality of posts, unless they resort to authoritative measures, that - for obvious reasons - hardly ever turn out in more people posting. once a forum is safe from abuse, that it becomes a yawner or a thriller is not really in the hands of those who keep watch. if most regulars stopped posting here what do you think i could do? register under 50 different nicknames and have deep philosophical debates with myself?
on the other hand, comments that seem to imply a mod is responsible for scarce activity on a board are likely to hurt, because in truth once you've spent your energies on making things run smoothly you don't really need to feel responsible for users posting rarely or posting inane things. moderators are not retailers that should make customers buy a product.
sometimes there are other things to do and care for, other obligations aside from the board that do not allow mods to come up with a new clown-ish number every day just to see more activity. and it's also hard to be reminded that more was expected out of you when other problems were knocking at your door.

rahvin.

Episode666 said:
Ya know what? Forget it. Forget I fucking said anything. Just fuck it.

Wendy (Epi), why this spiraled south i'm not sure, but I didn't think this would become a heated discussion. the only thing that might have been (mis?)contrued as an attack is the part about the HMAS forum, but I assure you I meant it in a positive way hoping that you might become inspired and breathe some life into the thing. i dunno, maybe the over-abundance of questionable rules might hurt things a bit there. (?) i'm really not sure.

i don't want to be in any type of flame war with you. can we let this flow quietly under the bridge or something?

rahvin said:
i'm pretty sure i shouldn't poke my nose into things that do not concern me, but i'm going to do that anyway because i feel the burning need to put myself in unpleasant situations. :)

;o)

rahvin said:
when you say something of the kind depicted above to a board administrator, rebecca, you ought to expect at least a not-very-pleased reaction, though of course i understand you weren't trying to place the blame or anything.

no. that i was not doing.

rahvin said:
moderators are not board fairies that sprinkle threads with pixie dust to make them grow and multiply overnight. they have no control on the quantity/quality of posts, unless they resort to authoritative measures, that - for obvious reasons - hardly ever turn out in more people posting. once a forum is safe from abuse, that it becomes a yawner or a thriller is not really in the hands of those who keep watch. if most regulars stopped posting here what do you think i could do? register under 50 different nicknames and have deep philosophical debates with myself?
on the other hand, comments that seem to imply a mod is responsible for scarce activity on a board are likely to hurt, because in truth once you've spent your energies on making things run smoothly you don't really need to feel responsible for users posting rarely or posting inane things. moderators are not retailers that should make customers buy a product.
sometimes there are other things to do and care for, other obligations aside from the board that do not allow mods to come up with a new clown-ish number every day just to see more activity. and it's also hard to be reminded that more was expected out of you when other problems were knocking at your door.

rahvin.

i understand your concern, rahvin, but i think our definitions of mod might not be the same.