Got Underworld today!

May 9, 2003
After a week of knowing it was on its way into my very hands and putting up with the anticipation, I have finally received Underworld. I don't know if the Japanese version did it, but I got a special (I guess first print) version of it that is in a nicer case that the cover has a strange texture to it, also the Adagio logo is in silver as well.

Anyway, even though it is truly awesome, it kind of surprised me in how different it sounded from Sanctus Ignis. The guitars, for instance, are less "shreddy" than before, but are heavier in a black metal sense. Not as many guitar solos as Sanctus Ignis, but the ones that are there are of course spectacular. I have always thought that Sanctus Ignis had more of a baroque sound over neoclassical, but in Underworld the neoclassical sound WAY outbeats the very little barouque sounds in it. I am a huge fan of barouque sounds and especially like the harpsichord, one of my only gripes on this album is that there is not even a small instant where one is used. I am truly glad for new pianist/keyboardist Kevin Codfert, he is the best addition Adagio could ask for. A truly gifted player with his own talent for writing as well. Heck, you could tell they got a new key player even without knowing just by hearing this album, very key heavy, and skillful playing to boot. I don't know why, but the first time through I didn't feel quite satisfied, I guess my expectations of a LOT of shredding were proved wrong. But, as I listened a second time through it was like hearing it for the first time, without expecting it to have to be a shred fest. That is when I fell in love with the much darker guitar sound as I recalled reading of Stephan's dark times he went through while writing this album (he was thinking about what really awaits us after death and if this life really matters with the enevitable fate of death). Don't get me wrong, there is a decent amount of shredding but it isn't at such a constant pace as in Sanctus Ignis was, I guess most Underword tracks can be somewhat compared with songs like "The Inner Road" and "Seven Lands of Sin". David Readman's vox are a lot more versatile now and he sings in a lower pitch a lot more often than before, of course he still goes high quite a bit in a lot of the choruses.

Overall I think this album is another masterpiece, but some Adagio fans (like me) might need to give it a second spin to truly fall in love with it. I think this is the album that will bring Adagio a lot more fans, and make them better known on the progressive metal scene.

(Anyone else who has listened to Underworld feel free to post your opinions.)

yes ive mentioned a few times i LOVE underworld, i think Adagio is just getting better and better, and its hard to believe this is only the bands second album. its so amazingly well done. stephans talent for composing and playing is brilliant, and he is soooooo fast yet still manages to make it sound so melodic. and i love the heavier direction the band has taken, i personally think this suits them far more than sanctus. also its one of those albums that you fall in love with more and more as you keep listening to it and discovering new parts to it you didnt hear before.

SilentRealm said:
yes ive mentioned a few times i LOVE underworld, i think Adagio is just getting better and better, and its hard to believe this is only the bands second album. its so amazingly well done. stephans talent for composing and playing is brilliant, and he is soooooo fast yet still manages to make it sound so melodic. and i love the heavier direction the band has taken, i personally think this suits them far more than sanctus. also its one of those albums that you fall in love with more and more as you keep listening to it and discovering new parts to it you didnt hear before.

I agree totally

btw - the japanese copy didnt have the fancy packaging, but did you get the AMAZING bonus track Missa Aeterna?

After downloading two songs from Sanctus Ignis over the weekend (and hearing all you guys talk about this band), I ordered Underworld (ltd edition digipak) on Saturday. Should be here by the weekend. Can't wait to get it!!!

Well of course I didn't get the bonus track since that would mean the Japanese economy would collapse for giving all versions besides just the japanese the bonus track. Lol......that whole whole idea just ticks me off, it happens with all bands including Symphony X (Frontiers). I wonder how the Japanese companies convince these bands to exclude whole songs from their international cd's and only put them on the japanese versions.......oh well.

Hwangman said:
Where did everyone order from?

I've only seen it available as a $40 import.

I ordered it from lasercd.com. I think the digipak version was $13, the other was $12. The main reason I ordered it from there was because it wasn't $40. Someone mentioned lasercd on the Adagio unofficial forum, so I went and checked it out. They didn't have the track listing on there, so I'm not sure about the bonus track.

BastrdDrmr said:
Which version on lasercd has the bonus track? I hate getting fucked out of bonus tracks. Speaking of which, Symphony X should put Frontiers on their next album as a bonus track.
I ordered the $13 version, which was listed as Limited Edition. As far as i know, there are only two versions released:

-standard version w/o bonus track

-ltd edition w/bonus track

The LTD was a dollar more, so i've got to assume that it's the one w/the bonus track. Otherwise there's no reason to charge more money.

Only the japanese version has the bonus track, so if you want it you will have to order it from japan. The limited edition one is the one I got which has the nice jewel flip case with the Adagio logo in silver. There is a small chance I am wrong but I am pretty sure on this one.

Well crap...i ordered it through LaserCD thinking that it had the bonus track, but my friend has had it for a while and said that the bonus track is the least impressive overall.

I know...i'm just rationalizing...oh well.

Don't be too disssapointed for ordering the limited ed.. It really is a nice packaging and just having the Adagio logo in silver on the cover is worth the extra dollar!

Hwangman said:
Well crap...i ordered it through LaserCD thinking that it had the bonus track, but my friend has had it for a while and said that the bonus track is the least impressive overall.

I know...i'm just rationalizing...oh well.

I wouldn't say least impressive, actually I love it, and question why its a "mere" bonus track. its definately more "Sanctus" sounding than the rest of the album tho.

Hey Yngvai! You're not supposed to say that! Hehe...that was one of my little tiddy dislikes about the album, the fact at how bass driven the songs were, Franck worked his ass off on this one, but Stephan only plays mainly some solo guitar parts. The songs just don't have much guitar at all in them.

from what ive heard, Stephan has improved imensly since Sanctus. His solo's are "prettier" and more melodic, yet he is amazingly (i mean scarely) faster than before too, listen to the string skpping thing in Chosen (!!!!!!) so to say he shreds less is true and false aswell. And the music is alot darker, eeirier, heavy ect.. And Stephan personally told me that next album its going to be even darker and heavier.