Guilty Displeasures

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
What are some Metal bands or albums you can't stand, which most everyone worships.

I never got into Black Sabbath, never really ventured into them or stumbled upon their music.

If you think that makes me a poser f.o.a.d. :heh:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom

To be fair, I do need to listen to it more to see if it'll grow on me but the guitar is a little too low in the mix for my liking.

I wouldn't call Xasthur and Leviathan "guilty displeasures". The US black metal scene is pretty widely disliked.

well i'm not guilty about it but i don't really like these much:

dismember - like an everflowing stream
basically all entombed
enslaved - vikingligr veldi
dio - holy diver
dark angel - darkness descends
kreator - pleasure to kill
megadeth - rust in peace
cryptopsy - none so vile
cathedral - forest of equilibrium
lots of immolation
immortal - at the heart of winter
unanimated - ancient god of evil
annihilator - alice in hell

among others

There's nothing I don't like that I should because I know what real metal is all about. And Cryptopsy is fucking gay and anyone who thinks they're mandatory listening for any metalhead is obviously not white. And Blasphemy (especially Blood Upon the Altar) is quite good but nonetheless overrated by mindless idiots (NO I'M NOT FUCKING TALKING ABOUT YOU JOFA PRE-EMPTIVE STFU ALERT).

I can imagine the hate I'm gonna get for this... but... I dont like to listen to The Red in the Sky is Ours.

Now before you burn me at the stake... I'm fully aware of the importance of the album... and, I suppose... I know the album is good... very good... but I just CANT get myself to listen to it... and I've only ever made it through the whole thing in one setting a couple times..

Hmmm...Bands most metal heads like, at least in their respective genres, that I don't care for much:

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
At The Gates
Dio
Megadeth
Manowar

I am kind of trying to get into Bathory and Manilla Road but it is hit and miss.

I can imagine the hate I'm gonna get for this... but... I dont like to listen to The Red in the Sky is Ours.

Now before you burn me at the stake... I'm fully aware of the importance of the album... and, I suppose... I know the album is good... very good... but I just CANT get myself to listen to it... and I've only ever made it through the whole thing in one setting a couple times..

try it while reading the lyrics. atg aren't exactly accessible, took me a while to get into that album. i'll tell you right now that i don't like them because of how weird or technical or important they are - i just think they've written some of the most moody, transporting, exhilarating music in metal's history. alternatively try the second album, the first half especially is mesmerising.

wow. I can't fathom how anyone can hate Swedish death metal and German thrash.

i can't fathom how you decided i 'hate' 'swedish death metal and german thrash' based on my post. but yeah stuff like dismember and entombed is so sterile and mechanical and contrived, music ought to be wild and organic and loose. this is also why people who don't like early sabbath and priest confuse me.

dakryn i hope you're not one of these people who dislike priest based solely on their '80s stuff, 'cause i hate those people. although disliking priest's '70s stuff is an even worse crime i guess.

the best songs on 'into glory ride' makes me feel like a dick for once avoiding listening to manowar. lots of their stuff is toss though, including some of the revered early stuff.

i like 'peace sells' in parts, but of course megadeth are horrendously overrated.

'holy diver' is just fucking boring. and i love rainbow.

i quite like blasphemy, definitely a solid band.

dakryn i hope you're not one of these people who dislike priest based solely on their '80s stuff, 'cause i hate those people. although disliking priest's '70s stuff is an even worse crime i guess.

i like 'peace sells' in parts, but of course megadeth are horrendously overrated.

'holy diver' is just fucking boring. and i love rainbow.

I don't like Halford's vocals. Period. I don't like Mustaine's vocals. Period. I like the song Holy Diver, but Dio fails to deliver as a vocalist as well.
Manowar bores me, and I should like ATG, but for some reason don't.

I don't like a lot of Scandinavian old school death metal. I find most albums that use the standard Entombed/Sunlight/buzzsaw type sound extraordinarily tedious. Same goes for most 90s black metal.

In fact when it comes to black and death metal, I much prefer bands from the early 80s that operated before black and death became really strict definitions. Slaughter, Messiah, Poison, Hellhammer, Master, Necrovore, Sabbat (JP) etc etc.