Guitar Beginner: Tips and Suggestions?

String bending and vibrato, regardless of whether you intend to do much for lead work. Working on half and full step bends with each finger of your left hand not only is a quick way to build up finger strength and coordination, it also helps your fingers learn a greater degree of string control.

It's never too soon to start working on alternate picking. While you're working on the scales with your left hand, work on alternate picking them with your right.

Also--palm muting and chording. Most of your playing will wind up being rhythm anyway, so it makes sense to concentrate on it. If you cross-reference the chords that you are learning with the scales that you learn, it will help you map the fingerboard a lot more quickly than if you keep rhythm and lead in seperate worlds.

practice as much as possible--scales, picking, etc. And stay off youtube--there are 13 year olds on there that blow my mind and if might discourage you although I would suggest checking out meghanthemetalqueen

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HczJ1Hy5AOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HczJ1Hy5AOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I love how her mother is preparing her bed, while she plays brutal music, as if it was normal :lol:

She is quite good ! But if we are talking about learning guitar, I have tips to add seeing this.

She's good but still, I've heard here better guitarsists, many times, from this board. This is technical, but still, to me this doesn't "look" and "sound" tight and mastered. Also, I can bet a lot on the fact she couldn't play the way she does standing and moving on a stage, because her right hand technique is a bit strange for that level of practice, a bit loose, and the left is not always keeping the guitar in place. It's hard for girls because it requires your hand to be tonic, and to stay in a fixed place on your guitar, and all should come from the wrist, and not from the arm (as she does).
Because of that, she doesn't correctly avoid noises between riffs.
Well, there is no rule that is unbreakable, but this leads me to another advice :
- really master your hand position, ask people, record a video, show us if you want. There is no perfect position (see Marty Friedman, weird technique but intense phrasing) but still it's easy to determine visually if the position is possible or not.
- if you wanna be serious in guitar playing one day, learn to play tight, clean, and therefore : for writing/recording/playing in a band/etc, prefer to do stuff you really master, and so, focus on what you play easily and perfect. Keep the hard stuff for your pleasure and stay in your confort zone. Tight players are not those who play the harder stuff, but those who know themselves and play what they know they can decently and honestly play perfect. Many studio pro guitarist couldn't handle a death metal song, but when it comes to basic rock or pop or whatever, they can play anything dead on quickly, in tune, in time. This is better to play 100% a medium/hard song than nailing only 80% of an alexi laiho or loomis solo.
- one thing I always "feel" when looking at a good guitarist, 90% of the time, is how much force they put in their physical playing (I mean, how the hands act on the guitar). Even if it looks smooth (think, steve vai), you have to put a lot of force, be heavy in your attacks for hard stuff, and when you have to be soft, you have to play "sure".

My 2 cents about girls on guitar : I find this strange, because, I've still seen no girl giving me shivers on guitar playing. I find it really strange, because in violin, cello, piano, a lot are incredibly awesome !

Cheers guys, will take all your suggestions to mind.

Fragle, thanks for your long and detailed post, very informative!

I intend to play in C sharp/D flat tuning as that's how the band's songs were written, so I will get thicker strings. The pick I am using is 0.6mm! Very flimsy; thanks for your guide, I will get thicker strings and a thicker pick :)

Holding the pick will take some time to get it perfect but I'm hoping I get it decent early as not to get into bad habits!

The mirror tip is very helpful, thanks a tonne colonel kurtz!

I'll take it easy and pick up from there. The thing is, I composed many guitar parts for the band, but never actually played. I used guitar pro (very roughly) or the good ol' sing-a-long method with a recording device lying around. Actually playing the stuff is going to be a great challenge I'm looking forward to!

Thanks again! :D

We tune to C# standard

I use 11s for strings ... I found that to be the perfect balance for the lower tuning without muddying anything up

for a pick I would suggest the dunlop yellow .73 mm picks. For me, they have the perfect feel of not being too wimpy but not trying to play with a piece of tree bark either.

fast playing is 90% in your wrist. If your forearm starts burning up quick when you try to play fast, you're doing it wrong

better than metronome is to just program in some really cool but basic drum grooves, either in your daw or on a drum machine. You can easily change the tempo to the loops as you get better at what you're playing and its a LOT more fun than playing to a "blip blip blip". The key to all is keeping it fun for yourself, especially at the beginning, learning stage you're kinda at. Personally, I enjoy practicing scales and sweeps and all to a tasty double bass groove a LOT more than a metronome and thats what makes me want to practice more. More practice = better playing quicker

^ Noted all of the above :). Thanks for taking your time to help me, I greatly appreciate it!

Alternate picking is quite a challenge. I will have to master that and get consistent on my left hand fingering technique!

One thing I forgot to mention, I am left handed (and play left handed drums) yet I am learning guitar right handed (as I did the bass) since I the first guitar I picked up was right handed and now I can't turn back because I find it so awkward (even though my air-guitar skills are on an invisible left handed one :p) . The reason I'm mentioning this is to point out that it will take me longer to strengthen my wrists and co-ordinate my hands with my brain, but it will be a fun challenge none the less :).

Öwen;9195871 said:
Can alexi nail 80% of an alexi solo? :lol:

did when i saw 'em in '05 with mastodon, lamb of god, and slayer...

and on a sidenote...fuck, that was a good show!

The mirror tip is very helpful, thanks a tonne colonel kurtz!

no prob. man, this is something i happened on totally by chance when jamming on my rev jr - i saw my reflection on the faceplate of the amp, and saw that both my fretting and picking technique looked totally fucked up, at least compared to most awesome players. i've been playing guitar for 14 years now and honestly am not all that good, and i instantly noticed why i hit a wall with my playing...it wasn't my ability that was fucked, but my hand positioning. being able to see what i was doing while i was doing it, from a non-skewed perspective, has been incredibly valuable.

did when i saw 'em in '05 with mastodon, lamb of god, and slayer...

and on a sidenote...fuck, that was a good show!

no prob. man, this is something i happened on totally by chance when jamming on my rev jr - i saw my reflection on the faceplate of the amp, and saw that both my fretting and picking technique looked totally fucked up, at least compared to most awesome players. i've been playing guitar for 14 years now and honestly am not all that good, and i instantly noticed why i hit a wall with my playing...it wasn't my ability that was fucked, but my hand positioning. being able to see what i was doing while i was doing it, from a non-skewed perspective, has been incredibly valuable.

But once you amended your hand technique, did you feel yourself getting back on track to improving? I am familiar with the fact that bad habits are hard to break, but will it seriously hinder future advancement to the point where one plateaus for good?

On drums, from personal experience, I never attended any lessons, so my first 2 years were horrible. I was going nowhere. It took me 4 years to finally say I could hold a stick confidently, and still I drop one more often than I would like almost 8 years on :p. So yeah, I can see how starting off bad can leave indelible marks on one's career; so starting healthy is probably one of the most noteworthy tips to keep in mind. :)

But once you amended your hand technique, did you feel yourself getting back on track to improving? I am familiar with the fact that bad habits are hard to break, but will it seriously hinder future advancement to the point where one plateaus for good?

On drums, from personal experience, I never attended any lessons, so my first 2 years were horrible. I was going nowhere. It took me 4 years to finally say I could hold a stick confidently, and still I drop one more often than I would like almost 8 years on :p. So yeah, I can see how starting off bad can leave indelible marks on one's career; so starting healthy is probably one of the most noteworthy tips to keep in mind. :)

a little bit, yea, but TBH i only play guitar a couple hours a week now, so it's like i'm only just hitting the potential that might be there

also, i used to never use my pinky when playing, which has hindered me greatly over the years. i broke my hand when i was 17 and it fucked with the amount of control/dexterity with my pinky, which totally obliterated my ability to properly play lead guitar. at one point i was an absolute monster on some rythym riffing, but couldn't play a simple pentatonic run because my pinky control just wasn't up to snuff.

practice as much as possible--scales, picking, etc. And stay off youtube--there are 13 year olds on there that blow my mind and if might discourage you although I would suggest checking out meghanthemetalqueen

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HczJ1Hy5AOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HczJ1Hy5AOM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'm pretty sure she plays the song wrong in several parts tbh. Plus she was terribly off-time in a few easy bits which was odd :p most people probably don't notice, I don't think the song is why most people watch that vid

She's probably is still much better than me... I'd let her teach me a thing or two!

TRY TO STAY RELAXED WHEN PLAYING

As a big fanboy i watched an interview of Hobbs/Marchais recently, and they were providing tips for guitar players, including the "try to relax" thing, which i had never really bought and considered seriously so far.
They said something along the lines of "you can't play that kind of music during an entire set if you play with too much strain", which i gave a second thought afterwards.

Now in the past weeks i've been trying to relax while playing and i start to feel that playing too strained was the main problem in my playing, causing me a lot of pain, and a lot of rigidity, preventing me from playing difficult riffs but also stuff that requires more feeling such as doing vibrato on chords.

I remember Sparky Voyles telling me the same advice about relaxing while playing those crazy Dying Fetus riffs, and also Erik Rutan mentioning he had some severe hand/wrist injury a couple of years ago due to playing too strained.

Now i can totally realize how relaxing (well... to a certain extent :) ) can help for playing extreme music (guitar especially i mean).

Before i was like "i play really strained and pick really hard, this is the only way i can play that kind of agressive intense music", and i'm glad i changed my mindset a bit since then.

So thanks Suffocation ! Now i know how you can get away with playing those sick fast technical riffs for an 1h30 long set !

And this relaxing thing goes for both hands, the picking hand AND the fretting hand. I have a tendency to pick a little too hard maybe, but my main problem so far was me fretting the board with so much strain it was ridiculous.
Now i relax my fretting hand while playing and it helps a lot, and i also pick a little less hard, but still hard enough to sound good and precise i think.
It's really hard to play relaxed when you've been used to play strained as fuck for a long time, but it's worth the effort, and it helps A LOT.