Guitarists!

PortionThief

May 29, 2008
Do you change your hand/arm positioning any when playing standing compared to sitting? I know this sounds retarded but the angle that my wrist/hand touches the bridge when standing is really uncomfortable and it severely reduces my ability to cleanly tremolo.

I actually prefer having the guitar fairly low (so that my arm is relaxed and mostly extended) because I play in the classical position sitting down.

Jeff

I always had to crank my guitar up until my chin was resting on the volume knob so my arm wouldn't hurt, which of course is indicative of horrible technique and habits.

I have the axe straight at waste-height, and while my legato game suffers a bit, I find with my arm more extended my right hand feels a lot looser. And actually, with the left hand really digging into a good, wide vibrato is a lot easier when I can get my whole arm behind it.

I don't think anyone advocates playing where it's uncomfortable... but between slinging things low Page-style, then raising them up fusion-style, then lowering them like Hetfield, and then raising like the prog-rockers nobody knows what the fuck is comfortable. Oddly, the middle-levels are the least comfortable for me by a long shot - but since my right hand is the weak link I accommodate it and let my left hand abilities suffer a bit.

Jeff

How do you sit? If you play with the "classical guitar" posture it will not be as bad to get used to. The only difference for me standing vs sitting is standing the guitar is slightly lower

+1, playing in classical position sitting down translates way better to standing up. I've always played that way, never really understood why anyone does it the other way.

I keep my guitar at a pretty normal level I think, I'm on the right...
n502695327_601298_6773.jpg

i play at where the guitar is center with me belly button ;)

i dont understand how vogg plays as low as he does, rocks the fuck out and is still super tight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you change your hand/arm positioning any when playing standing compared to sitting? I know this sounds retarded but the angle that my wrist/hand touches the bridge when standing is really uncomfortable and it severely reduces my ability to cleanly tremolo.

You make it sound like you're stuck with this position....?

If you're uncomfortable and limiting your playing then just raise the guitar up higher. No brainer, dude.

I play with the guitar super high myself. Function over fashion.

Play it wherever you feel it comfortable, if you are good nobody will mind :p. Look at Tom Morello for example.

I use it relatively high... my left hand has more reach, but my right arm gets tired

It's not a height issue. I've tried from super high to super low and the most comfortable is when it's at the same height as when I'm sitting. The problem, I believe, is that the guitar angles away from me a bit compared to it being parallel when I'm sitting. I should have elaborated in the OP. Using my right arm to correct the angle makes my picking suffer as well from the added tension. I play in the classical position too so it's not that.

What guitar are you playing? Maybe it's just inherently neck-heavy? (a feeling I know all too well, and I DESPISE)

Yeah, I had to play a show once with a cheap Jackson Kelly (like around $350 new I'd guess) that I borrowed from some dude, and GOOD LORD the thing was ridiculously neck-heavy; on the plus side, it meant I had to do lots of awesome rearing-back to get it at the right angle, which sure looked cool! :lol:

I play with the guitar behind my head, whilst making thrusting motions with my pelvis. Very effective. :headbang:

Actually - I hate neck heavy guitars too, but most often nowadays I am playing in a seated position, and use a classical-type position while using my strap so the guitar kind of "floats" in my lap, right at the perfect height.