Half way through the year - best album so far?

Heckelgruber

Fudgenator
Oct 12, 2005
Hampshire, UK
Only 180 shopping days until Christmas, so what is your favourite album released so far this year? Also, which album has been the biggest disappointment for you so far?

For me, the favourite is:
Devin Townsend - Synchestra (I'm still playing it though it was out in January)

I was most disappointed by 10,000 days. It isn't that bad, I just got a bit overexcited about it.

How about you?

*leeches cd shopping ideas*

Best for me is

Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion :kickass:

Biggest disappointment is

In Flames - Come Clarity :puke:

followed closely by

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

My number one is currently Enslaved with RUUN. I was just blown away when I first heard the album through. All the songs are great.

"Fusion of sense and earth!":loco:

For me it's Madder Mortem - Desiderata and Tool - 10.000 Days

The biggest surprise of these two was madder mortem.....I expected this CD to be good but when I first heard I was just speechless

best albums so far this year: Katatonia TGCD, Enslaved Ruun,
biggest disappointment: Ghost Reveries and 10,000 Days (Tool)

I like RUUN too, although I'm just getting into it. It is the first album I have heard by them.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain is very nice too.

^ Ghost Reveries was 2005.

Favorite album of 2006:

Amorphis - Eclipse

Others I really like:

Moonspell - Memorial
Eyes of Fire - Prisons
Enslaved - Ruun
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
In Flames - Come Clarity (It's nowhere near as good as the pre-Clayman albums, but it's a lot better than Reroute and Soundtrack).
Disarmonia Mundi - Mind Tricks
Ihsahn - The Adversary
Head Control System - Murder Nature
Kalmah - The Black Waltz
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway

Most Disappointing:
Tool - 10,000 Days (There are a few songs that I really like, but as a whole, the album just doesn't have any real flow to it).
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra (I've loved every one of his solo albums, but this one just never grew on me).
Dissection - Reinkaos (A few decent tracks, certainly nothing like their earlier releases).

I think the new Dissection is kinda boring...and fake. Jon wasn't sincere with that shit, I thought he was, but ultimately he really wasn't.
I've heard alot of the albums above, and most of those were overall unentertaining to me like Kalmah, Tool, Katatonia, In Flames...Some others were good but nothing special in the longrun like Ihsahn and Enslaved. Those two records get alot of hype on here..."wow...an organ..and wow he's singing clean sorta live dave gilmour..wooow, prog influences kinda like what Mikael likes" the prog thing is a psuedo intellectual college student phase only to be beaten to death on here. Keep of Kalessin - Armada is pretty badass and talented. Probably the most original black metal band nowadays, not borrowing influences and elements to seem original. And I liked the Agalloch too...I've been waiting for this record since the last one and it's pretty good. It's different, since they know they must evolve from the folk sound for a bit. I used to be pretty into the Daylight Dies and Amorphis...good records from both bands, but... don't really care so much. Misery Index has a cool one out, it's not as good as their first 4 eps, or really the full length, but it's cool if you're into the old school death/grind sound. Very talented.

I'm looking forward to the new lamb of god, mastodon, vader, suffocation, down and solitude aeturnus(?) and whoever else good I'm missing.

I gave my thoughts on the metal records people are posting (on this metal forum).

as far as non metal goes, I've been listening to older stuff as usual. Most newer rock bands are either copying nirvana in some shape or form or Radiohead/indie sound in some shape or form. Some are good, but not mind blowing...there are a couple bands on my myspace account that are pretty cool though.

Enslaved - RUUN
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood