Headphone Suggestions - Take 3!

Whoa dude, haha, lol @that graph :)
According to it, they have a big bump in 100-200Hz region, and are bassier than Monster Beats!

It's nowhere near the truth, as far as those KRKs are concerned. Nowhere near. They are not bass-y at all (or should I say, it's there but it's not emphasized). Actually, if you go at Head-fi forum, you'll see there was this talk exactly how that very KNS8400 graph and was really inaccurate. Some people did their own graphs, which were much more accurate to what I was hearing.
Since I do own them, I'm telling you it simply is not true (of course, it's up to you if you'll believe me or not).
Hell, my other headphones, Yammis RH5a have more bass than KRKs. I dunno if KRKs are perfectly flat or not, but I do remember how I was surprised when I first tried them because of their 'lack of bass' (more like telling you the truth). FPE they also are really good at showing nasty resonances, and generally are really good for tweaking guitar sound (and other stuff of course). And they have memory foam pads, which is really killer :D

Just goes to show you cannot base your opinion solely on these kind of sites (headphone.com is a good site regardless tho).

It's been a while since I read this all the way through, but it's as good a place as any too ask...

What is everyone's opinions of the Ultrasone HD and PRO series of headphones? I've heard many great things about them... But that's from a listener's standpoint, NOT An engineer's.

I've just got pro2900. I'm hobbyist, not pro sound engineer. In my opinion they sound very good, deep but tight bass, open, airy sound, instrument separation is amazing. I feel like I'm listening music through speakers not headphones. Maybe they have little bit too much bass, really only little, but it might be ok once they burn in. as I said I'm not pro, but to me they sound OK enough for late night recording, mixing and as a portable reference.

I've heard that a lack of midrange balance in the Ultrasones is remedied by a nice headphone amp (which brings all the lows and highs to a more even level as well). Can you speak from experience on this?

I'm sorry, I can't comment on this. at this time I'm driving them with headphone amp built-in my audio interface (NI Komplete Audio 6), but I'm planning to built tube/mosfet hybrid headphone amp, after that I can compare some differences. I also read something about strange sibilants and since I have pro2900 I don't know what were those people talking about. In general I don't take all these audiophile analysis so serious, even they can hear drastic changes when you change power chord or fuse with golden contacts :heh:

As I said I'm not pro, I'm not so experienced, but I think I can say if something sounds good or not. I love this headphones, it's so much fun to listen to a music with them. I chose them because of the good reviews, so they could be a good reference and an amazing price (our dealer offered me them for less than half of their list price). btw there was a good point that somebody mentioned here - it's not important what do people think about the gear, more important is how do you learn to use it.

Just a heads up that I've licked my wounds a bit since the poor experiences with the Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics. I've put a set of these on order, and look forward to giving them some serious mix-testing in the coming weeks...

TBDF-XX86845_1.jpg

Hey Ermz, I hope you get as happy as I am with mine. No the flattest cans out there, but with HUGE detail.

Unpacked them about 10 minutes ago.

First impression on unpacking was that whoever designed the packaging had a huge fetish for plastic and random bits of tape which held nothing together. It was one of the more awkward unpackings I've had. It's also the cheapest packaging of all cans I've tried so far.

Visual impression of the cans was good. They feel sleek, understated, and unlike you'll be using them to receive commands from division HQ while rolling into Warsaw with your Stug.

Plugged the cans in about 5 minutes ago. Been playing TWoAF from the bottom up. First impression is that they are much more listenable than the Beyers. The sibilance is much more tolerable, while they are still overly scooped. The low-end doesn't feel too blown out of proportion to me. Feels mostly like you get some good sub detail. Getting a lot of good mid-bass detail. Imaging seems really good so far.

Fortunately, they also work well with my headphone amp. My fears about constantly overdriving them to loud levels due to their low impedance were unfounded, it seems.

I was listening to them on and off all day, and I'm fairly certain that the midrange is too subdued to do any serious balancing on them. What I'm hoping to do is get used to their low-end and use them strictly for balancing that. Somehow everything always feels 'distant' on them, no matter how loud they're cranked. I struggle to get detail - then I put on the Opals and go 'ahhh, there it is'.

So I think these are for low-end only. Also, don't think about picking up a set for tracking. Their isolation is virtually non-existent.

I read you had a bad time with the dt990 did you audition the dt880 ? It's the same as the 990 but without the hyped top/bottom end , supposed to be a much flatter headphone ? I also read guys saying burn in of 200 hrs on the 990 and then they mellow out !

I've tried the 880s at a local music store. No Beyer cans really floored me.

Thought I'd give a news update now that I've had some time to sit with the Denons. I've been burning them in every spare moment.

Basically, the more I listen to them, the less I want to be listening to them. Everything sounds distant. All. The. Time. They have virtually no mid content to speak of, and the sibilance is fatiguing at best. They are not as bad as the 990s were, but they have a similar sort of 'hi-fi' curve. I don't find them pleasant to listen to. All metal material sounds hollow and harsh, and none of my orchestral nor ambient material retains its lushness or clarity. They seem to be midrange detail-vampires like the 990s are.

The only potential saving grace will be how well they let me balance low-end. If they aren't a leg up in that department over the M50s, this will be my 3rd set to get the boot.

I'm starting to come to terms with the idea that such a thing as 'well balanced headphones' probably doesn't exist. This will likely be my last attempt at trying to get anything better than the M50s.

Have you checked out any Ultrasones yet, Ermin? From what I've heard of them, they'll be great for low end, and with a good amp the midrange will fill out a bit more on them. But I think they're finicky about the amps that go well with them. I'm looking to pick up a set for myself once I get a new job.

I'm starting to come to terms with the idea that such a thing as 'well balanced headphones' probably doesn't exist. .
Im in the same mood buddy))) and it seems to me that audeze LCD 2 (or 3 now)) is the only chance for us)!

There are some extremely linear headphones.

STAX SR Lambda Professional

I even tried them out cause my university had them. they need a special driver/pre-amp though.
And to be honest they weren't really enjoyable cause they were so damn detailed that it wasn't like hearing music but rather like being in a white room full of light :)
And they are also like over 1000 €
Please Ermz don't buy them untested, cause I don't want feel your wrath if you don't like 'em ;)

http://www.fl-electronic.de/neuklang/staxsrlambda.html

There are some extremely linear headphones.

STAX SR Lambda Professional

I even tried them out cause my university had them. they need a special driver/pre-amp though.
And to be honest they weren't really enjoyable cause they were so damn detailed that it wasn't like hearing music but rather like being in a white room full of light :)
And they are also like over 1000 €
Please Ermz don't buy them untested, cause I don't want feel your wrath if you don't like 'em ;)

http://www.fl-electronic.de/neuklang/staxsrlambda.html
:D
Coool! Hmm.. Ill try STAX this time. Ohhh f...ggg im going blind)))
And seriously, i was sure they are faarrr over 1000 € . Am i wrong?