Help me! Need to spend money. :-)

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
Grandparents, aren't they lovely? My younger brother got 1000 euro's of my grandparents for his missionary trip to Suriname a couple of months. It really didn't bother me that I didn't get anything, so that wasn't a problem or anything, I was happy for him.

Then yesterday, I was in a place near my grandparents and thought I'd pay them a visit. Then when we're drinking coffee (me chocolate milk), my grandfather turns to me, and hands me this enveloppe. Then my grandmother says, you know you're both equal to us, so we really would like to donate 1000 euro's to you to invest in your studio! She said to me, ONLY use it for your studio, not any other crap. As you might be able to understand, I was speechless!! Completely.

So now here's the deal. I want to get new gear. But what should I get?!?!?!?!

I've got the following:

Computer + software:
Apple Mac G5 (dual)
- Cubase Studio 4
- Drumagog
- Metric Halo Channelstrip

Monitors:
- set of KRK VXT 6
- set of KRK Rokit 6

Outboard:
- Motu PCI-424x
- Motu 2408 MK2
- Motu 1024
- Behringer 8 channel head phone amp
- RME Octamic + adat
- SM Pro Audio PR8E
- Mackie VLZ1604

Mics:
- Rode NT5
- 4 x Sennheiser Md421
- 1 x SM57
- Beyerdynamic Opus 53
- Audix D6
- AKG D112
- 4 x AV-Jefe Clip on mics

Misc:
- Ddrum Triggers

I got triggers for all the drums, I've got plenty of mic-stands and I got plenty of cables!

I've been thinking of maybe a set of Neumann KM184 stereo set + 2 shure sm57's as extra. I could try to get a nice deal with that!

You seem pretty set on everything already. Never can have too many mics though, so I'd say go for those you mentioned. KM184 = :headbang:

However, the 184 pair should be around 1,200EUR but maybe if you have cash in hand they will cut a deal?

~006

if you're looking for overheads, i would go with shure ksm32's over the km184's. I've used both many times, and tthe ksm's are fucking great on everything, especially overheads.

Room Treatment is sort of not needed right now.

The studio I'm in now is rented, there has been a little room treatment, which works fine! It's not top-class but is sufficiant enough. I've got bass traps and more allready in the room.

Next year I'm moving into my house with garage. This garage will have my studio in there. That's where I will start with room treatment, I'm even considering contracting a pro for that.

I actually got a great deal on new neumanns (below 1000 euro's!!). I think I should jump on those!

Yep... km184 are pretty cool... but try to get your hands on a pair of 84 ...but i think that's a little expensive. But km184 are pretty damn cool too! It's about taste... the 184 are more bright than the 84!

Get the neumanns, YEES!!!!! =)

Drop the computer and the KRK. Get a cheaper used computer (those lose value much faster than everything else so if you're going to go used somewhere that's where it should be) and some monitors that don't just hype everything to make you think you're a god.

Jeff

Oh! I'm still selling that one!
You'll get photos later tonight...busy at work now.

I allready got a Shure SM7B for vocals.
Distressor sounds interesting tho!!!

Awesome dude, I look forward to seeing them! My friend I was talking about had already seen it on Marktplaats, and sent me a message and link telling me about it. (That thing is sexier than I imagined it would be... you kept the colour a secret! Wow!!!) He laughed when I said I was already talking with you about it :lol:

If we strike up a deal he says I should drive out to his place so he can check it out too. Says Ter Apel is practically walking distance! Sounds like a good idea to me, especially with shipping prices.

ANYWAY, back on topic, jump on the neumanns :kickass:

Nah, hookers and blow are a better way to spend the money.

In all seriousness, more mics (especially fancy ones that keep or gain value) and some better monitors would be the way to go.

Jeff

Yeah. Mics. I actually got a package in front of me with Neumann KM184's in there! :)...
I don't know about monitors. I like the KRK VXT6 serie. I got a great deal out of those. I actually just bought them about 2 months ago.
New they priced around 480-500 per monitor. I got a great deal on a set for 780 euro's! I'm really happy with them.

Room Treatment is sort of not needed right now.

The studio I'm in now is rented, there has been a little room treatment, which works fine! It's not top-class but is sufficiant enough. I've got bass traps and more allready in the room.

Next year I'm moving into my house with garage. This garage will have my studio in there. That's where I will start with room treatment, I'm even considering contracting a pro for that.

I actually got a great deal on new neumanns (below 1000 euro's!!). I think I should jump on those!

Dare i say save the money for the garage treatment in the future.....:saint: