Honeymoon destinations

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
I'm getting married in November and we're looking for a good honeymoon destination. It needs to be a warm location, but we're not exactly beach people. Looking for something more secluded, not necessarily a Sandals type place, although an all-inclusive would be preferred. Leading candidate is a place called Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. Any rec's?

Sorry man, got nothing for ya. Yippee and I are not warm weather people, so any warm place vacations we do will be scuba based (where we can hide from the sun deep, deep under the water).
My PL incentive trip this coming May is a cruise to the Bahamas and Costa Maya (where the Mayan ruins are) so perhaps Costa Maya would be a cool place to check out.
I've been hearing more people talk about Brazil lately, but I only hear that in a general fashion.

(Yippee and I went to Ireland, Scotland and England for our honeymoon - not warm, but freaking AWESOME trip)

Bali, Fiji, any of those places I'd love to go.... we were 'starving' when we got married so we went to Great America Amusement park for a few days. Hell, I still haven't been to Hawaii. :mad:

St. Lucia is awesome, as are many islands in the Caribbean. I've been lucky enough to travel to many sites and loved St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, St. Vincent... oh, hell, I enjoyed every place I went! Of course, traveling there can be expensive based on flights (everyone has to fly to Barbados and then hop islands on smaller planes from there) and there is a real third world aspect to some of these places as they are no where near as developed as locations in the U.S. (The resorts however, are all fantastic but make sure you get one with air conditioning unless you like to sweat.) If you check into St. Lucia there is a resort there built onto the side of a hill facing the Pitons (the two mountains on St. Lucia) which looked like an idyllic place to honeymoon... it's called the Anse Chastenet.

On the more budget side of things, the Riveria Maya (on the Cancún/Cozumel side of the Yucatan Peninsula) also has some great spots as John said (of course, you can still find pricey/swanky spots if you want.) Check out Playa del Carmen - it's about 45 minutes south of Cancún and is the ferry point over to Cozumel, so logistically its a good spot. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach (there is a Del Mar side as well, and they were building a third "side" to the resort that should be completed now) and it was all-inclusive and just great. (Edit: Apparently there are 5 properties that make up the Paraiso complex now... guess it's been a while since I was last there. HA!) This property is located about 15 minutes north of PdC, so you're kind of isolated from both Cancún and PdC - which is nice if all you want to do is chill by the pool and/or on the beach drinking Coronas or margaritas.

Congrats on the pending nuptuals, and good luck with wherever you decide to honeymoon.

I was just in the Dominican Republic in June: the resorts on the north side are prime location for honeymooners (a friend of mine just had her 20 year honeymoon in Puerto Plata), but the south side - Santo Domingo and whatnot - has plenty to do as well. The DR peso is worth about a third of the dollar, but the cost is still about the same as anywhere you'd go in the US for most things. It's a beautiful place, the people are VERY friendly, and it's not nearly as dangerous as some tried to make me believe.

Just don't ride on the scooters. o_O

I'm getting married in November and we're looking for a good honeymoon destination. It needs to be a warm location, but we're not exactly beach people. Looking for something more secluded, not necessarily a Sandals type place, although an all-inclusive would be preferred. Leading candidate is a place called Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. Any rec's?

My wife and I went to a resort in Jamaica called Swept Away. It was very nice and secluded. It was nothing like the Sandals resorts, so stay away from those places! Swept Away is located in Negril, Jamaica. Put it this way, they don't have televisions in the room, but their opinion is, why do you need a television on your honeymoon? :saint: It's a good point if you think about it. I recommend checking it out.

~Brian~

i went to Iceland and London..there are some really tropical isles off the coast of the UK call The Isles of Scilly, they are temperate and so cheap. iceland was like the moon, very cool stuff though

I used to live in the US Virgin Islands (hence the "VI" in my screen name) - St. Thomas to be exact. I see you are from Chicago. If you want to do the western Caribbean/Mexico thing and keep your airfare reasonable, Mexico, Caymans, Jamaica would be your best bets, based solely on airfare. For Mexico, I HIGHLY recommend the Caribbean side - Cancun/Cozumel. The water on the PV side is just not comparable.

The destinations in the eastern Caribbean are, in my opinion, the most beautiful - St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, but those are WAY farther than any of the western Caribbean/Mexico stuff, even from Texas. Somwhere in between is St. John in the US Virgin Islands and is the most beautiful place I have ever been (Google Trunk Bay). You fly into St. Thomas and take a ferry to St. John (about 30 min. from airport to ferry and 15 min. on ferry). The British Virgin Islands are a 30 min. ferry ride from there (Google 'Full Moon Festival')

Congrats and good luck!!

Chris :headbang: