How did you into the music business...

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Well?

I've been on here a while, I've learnt a lot from you dudes, so thanks for that :kickass:

But I'm interested in how any of you started off? like how you got into the production industry and all the jazz...

I would love to one day have some kind of job doing shit with music, mixing maybe, I've got a long way to go :D But it would help knowing how any of you started off, like did you do some kind of production course? Or are they a waste of time?

Any posts would be cool :lol:

I bought a portastudio in high school to record demo's for my band. Went to college and got a HND in Sound Production as well as some pro tools certifications. My head lecturer there got me a job in a local studio where I've been working for about a year and a half now. Mainly running the studio while bands are rehearsing, though there's recording work aswell, mainly me bringing in my own clients.

All the while I've been recording local bands and doing live sound work. I still have a part time job because the pay at the studio is pretty poor and can be a bit unpredictable, and at the moment the live sound work is only once or twice a week.

Is it worth going on a production course? Depends on the college and how much it's going to cost you to be honest. College is free up here so I had nothing to lose tbh. When I started at college I'd already been recording for about 2 years so I was well ahead of the rest of my class. My tutors were very knowledgeable and I did learn alot of the more technical side of things. And obviously I got a studio job at the end of it which is good.

I think with college you get out what you put it. I got as many bands as I could into the studio to record, stayed late for sessions. Bugged my lecturers for extra cirricular work doing live sound. Asked questions constantly.

The only thing about college is that it can't really teach you the art of recording imo as it's all so subjective. Thats something you have to learn yourself.

:lol:

Seriously, I would finally like to hear about someone making it who wasn't actually a musician, at least not at the start.

Soz, I was a guitar player a few years before I got into recording. Lol.

I imagine it would be really hard get into the industry without playing an instrument, as it's so much easier to communicate with a musician if you are a musician.
Also playing in a band gets you known within the local scene.

Learn to play bass (it's easy!) and play bass for a band (bassists are very hard to find tbh so finding a band that needs one shouldn't be hard) record some awesome sounding stuff, you'll find people in other bands asking where you recorded. This is your opportunity to record said band.

i was a guitarist in a band
we wanted to record our songs
i recorded them
of course it sounded like shit
so i began to investigate about recording stuff
months later everything still sounded like shit
then my friend Erik (aka Dandelium) told me about this site
3 years later everything still sounds like shit
but that is another story, and will be told at another time...

Soz, I was a guitar player a few years before I got into recording. Lol.

I imagine it would be really hard get into the industry without playing an instrument, as it's so much easier to communicate with a musician if you are a musician.
Also playing in a band gets you known within the local scene.

Learn to play bass (it's easy!) and play bass for a band (bassists are very hard to find tbh so finding a band that needs one shouldn't be hard) record some awesome sounding stuff, you'll find people in other bands asking where you recorded. This is your opportunity to record said band.

:D I play guitar and bass, I just can't rip the fretboard up :erk:

i recorded them

Pretty much this

Wanted to record
DI guitars and programmed drums (stock plugins) were bad so we buy a mic and interface
One SM57 for the drums sounds like shit WTF!
Find this site...
??? (a year and a half passes)
Profit?

i recorded them

Aw man, I've only been here for about 6 months and I still sound like shit.
How do years to not sound like shit? \_0o_/ (how do fuck you draw shrug confusion emoticon)

i had a porta studio (tascam 414 mk ii) old school....
recorded things badly.. got interested through being in the studio with my band,
started making tea at a studio, started working at a studio, quit coz the owner was a cunt and wtiched me out of loads of money, went freelance, started working as head engineer at another studio.
bosh. my career in recording.

Pretty much this

Wanted to record
DI guitars and programmed drums (stock plugins) were bad so we buy a mic and interface
One SM57 for the drums sounds like shit WTF!
Find this site...
??? (a year and a half passes)
*Lots of money spent*
I accidentally the profit?

Fixed :lol:

I played drums,still do...wanted to perform on some mega stages and did was around analogue recording gear early on from 4 trax to 8 then went into a digital studio had pro tools and we thought that used to be something special back then.
Started my own business after spending time studying ,learning, practicing ,watching ,recording and still learning watching and recording but fell through with partners.Now i focus on family and to pay off my debts....absolutely love to be back recording again but i think time off for a while will be healthy for spirit mind soul.
I was too obsessed and fixated on getting there ....but upon reflection it's not anything external it's ALL internal and in order to be good you just need to keep finding ways to inspire yourself and keep going.
Be good to people in the industry cause it's small, conduct yourself professionally if you want to make money and don't be something you are not.
Remember to have fun......keep learning and share knowledge to those less experienced then yourself.

Music Business is about business.....Music creation is about ART and it must always be kept real.
That's what i think anyway.