How did you learn about Skyfire?

-Rivfader-

Klingons on Uranus
Oct 17, 2003
St. Louis Missouri USA
Visit site
I was discussing with my good friend today on memories of finding cool bands. Like when we first discovered CoB and Iced Earth.

Anyway discovering Skyfire was a more interesting story. I was searching google to figure out if in fact Children of Bodom covered the song The Final Countdown. Anyway I got to this metal review site. It took me to a page that reviewed a Norther cd that had a Final Countdown cover. Anyway it also suggested on that page if you like Norther or CoB to check out a band named Skyfire. Now being a complete Everquest nerd at that time. Skyfire was a very cool zone in Everquest that had a bunch of cool dragons and stuff. So I clicked over and found a review of Timeless Departure. I searched the band on Kazaa and downloaded Dimensions Unseen. Feel in love with the song after the first listen.

Yes I do own Timeless Departure now and Mind Revolution. As soon as my local cd store can order Spectral I plan on buying it.

Hmmm... Think it was 1998, or something, at a rehearsal of ours (Skinfected) when Jocke Jonsson first told me that Henrik their singer of Mornaland (a band they both played in before Skyfire) had joined a southern swedish band called Skyfire. I didn´t actually listen to the band at all until Henrik broght "Timeless Departure" to one of our gigs where he did the sound mixing and played it as paus music. If I´m not wrong he had just got the album from the record company a few days before.

Basically thanks to In Flames and my new found interest in metal, I stumbled upon Fragments of Time. I'm not sure when/why/where, but I've been hooked ever since. Back in 2001 I guess.

Final_Vision said:
Basically thanks to In Flames and my new found interest in metal, I stumbled upon
Dimensions Unseen.

I had nearly no taste in music for years, but I always liked heavy stuff. I listened to Blind Guardian and Metallica, but I thought in general, metal was cap like Korn. One day I heard from a kid on my bus about a band called In Flames, so I hit up Kazaa and downloaded Trigger and Embody the Invisible. I searched for stuff like that on the Internet and found this page called Metalprovider.com. I just kind of browsed through their list of bands and checked out any band whose name I thought was cool, and tried to find songs by other bands that sounded like In Flames. I just happened to find Dimensions Unseen, and it rocked.

froosch said:
Dimensions Unseen.

I had nearly no taste in music for years, but I always liked heavy stuff. I listened to Blind Guardian and Metallica, but I thought in general, metal was cap like Korn. One day I heard from a kid on my bus about a band called In Flames, so I hit up Kazaa and downloaded Trigger and Embody the Invisible. I searched for stuff like that on the Internet and found this page called Metalprovider.com. I just kind of browsed through their list of bands and checked out any band whose name I thought was cool, and tried to find songs by other bands that sounded like In Flames. I just happened to find Dimensions Unseen, and it rocked.

heh, at least you had Blind Guardian. I was a nu-metal/metallica fan until about late 2000. In Flames basically changed my perspective on music completely. All thanks to Brush the Dust Away and Bullet Ride...

Final_Vision said:
heh, at least you had Blind Guardian. I was a nu-metal/metallica fan until about late 2000. In Flames basically changed my perspective on music completely. All thanks to Brush the Dust Away and Bullet Ride...

I was a Metallica and Pantera nazi until 1999 when I found Iced Earth. It is accutally a funny story too. I was doing a report on polar ice caps. I used excite search engine and Iced Earth.com was one of the links I found. I checked them out and was like whoa this band rules. From then on I got into a death metal phase, like Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, and Six Feet Under. That stuff got old. Then I got into bands like Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, and more progressive stuff like Symphony X and Nightwish. Nevermore was a cool find as well.

How did I learn about Skyfire???? I've told this thing a million times I think...
Anyway, it was a sunday morning in September 2001 (before 11th) and I was searching new bands through Audiogalaxy (RIP) downloading something of the bands suggested on the Related artists section. I don't know how the name Skyfire appeared and I got one or two songs from Timeless Departure (Fragments of Time and Intro). I fell in love with their music and the same afternoon I bought their album, after 3 years I've all their cds except the MCD Haunted By Shadows.

i used to download music, I got By God Forsaken and Skyfire.. then I got lucky and found a local metal shop that had skyfire cd's in stock. Then as all the metal heads in the area got into skyfire it was on demand at the store... it was funny. I remember when MR came out and I was demanding that the worker hold a copy for me so none of the other kiddies could get it... good times :)

Wound said:
i used to download music, I got By God Forsaken and Skyfire.. then I got lucky and found a local metal shop that had skyfire cd's in stock. Then as all the metal heads in the area got into skyfire it was on demand at the store... it was funny. I remember when MR came out and I was demanding that the worker hold a copy for me so none of the other kiddies could get it... good times :)

WHere are you from?

i heard a sample of dimensions unseen on fredrik kreem's swedish metal site, and i was like :yow: and got the rest off of napster. this was back before this forum existed so when it came around i was a happy bastard !

This forum had existed for a little bit before I stumbled on it. I remember being on UM because of the Dark Tranquillity board and than I was like "Hey cool, a Skyfire forum!" I dont even really remember who was here before I got here. Darkmare, Jonas, Erama (I think)...not remembering anyone else.

From what I remember, Aborted Fetus made like 4 threads within like a week of the forum's existence. I remember thinking he was such a fanboy, acting like a kid in a candy store hhah
i don't remember who else was here before either

anyway, i came for in flames, then when i saw there were also nevermore, dt, cob, arch enemy, etc i thought this place was the bomb. then not long after they made skyfire and borknagar and i thought UM could do no wrong.
but whaddaya know, in flames leaves, along with arch enemy, opeth off-topic, Mark, and others, while DT becomes a snorefest :cry:

i was one of the first bastards in here too, before all these damn kids. i didnt post much at first though, so a lot of suckers dont remember.

Gums said:
anyway, i came for in flames, then when i saw there were also nevermore, dt, cob, arch enemy, etc i thought this place was the bomb. then not long after they made skyfire and borknagar and i thought UM could do no wrong.
but whaddaya know, in flames leaves, along with arch enemy, opeth off-topic, Mark, and others, while DT becomes a snorefest :cry:

basically a summation of my existance on UM as well...sept maybe replace Nevermore with Soilwork.

Only forums I post on are this one, All About Tech occasionally, and the HMAS In Flames board, which has a post about twice a week...

@Wound: very cool man, nice to hear some people in the US are getting a good ear of Skyfire :kickass: