How Do You Feel About Veganism?

Ahania

Worker 11811
Dec 22, 2016
Veganism is the practice of eliminating all animal products from your diet and everyday attire, often for ethical reasons. However, vegans have gradually garnered a negative reputation for allegedly imposing this belief system on everyone. In doing so, vegans will shame and criticize meat eaters for contributing to the system of animal cruelty. Of course, there is a flip side in which meat eaters are actually the ones bullying vegans. So how do you feel about veganism?

Like any ideology or belief, there are the annoying zealots and the reasonable conscience-raisers. My best buddy is a vegan but he doesn't act like an asshole, but he's willing to have long discussions about it.

I eat meat, I hunt occasionally, but I understand and have deep respect for the vegan position. There aren't really any good rebuts to their arguments, one can't really deny this.

One thing I have to say about vegans is that I hate pro-abortion vegans, I think they're retarded hypocrites.

We all eat other life forms to survive. I like the idea of "if I can't kill it I won't eat it" and for the past 9 years I've been vegetarian, killing and eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, but happily living with 3 meat eaters.

I'm sure there would be many more vegans if people saw how meat is produced. I love milk and cheese too much to give that up, and I could milk a cow if I really had to.
...I hate pro-abortion vegans, I think they're retarded hypocrites.
Yeah, I hate hypocrisy. I also hate people hunting for sport, and people who go fishing just to torture fish and throw them back.

Reactions: countess_drummer81
none of the vegans i've met ever tried to impose their lifestyle/beliefs on me. this is mostly an internet urban legend. it's generally a good thing, i support animal rights and after all if people are okay with muslims or hindus not eating pork or beef because of their religious/ethical beliefs, i don't see why they wouldn't be fine with vegans not eating animal products.

I respect those who respect me. Regardless if vegan or not.

It's something that needs time to evolve. Even though we live in the era of social media, which helps in spreading ideas rapidly, years and years need to go by in order to make it something "legit". People need to die, others need to be born. It also depends on each country since third world countries don't have the resources to lead this privileged lifestyle.

Also, what's up with those who start being vegan because it's "in"?

Reactions: countess_drummer81
i remember a gap of time where all the local vegans kept having to go to the ER because they were all suffering from the effects of nutrient deficiency from not eating the nutrients that are in meat

i remember talking to my meat-eating med-doctor friends and we all thought it was hilarious

Being a vegetarian or a vegan is a lifestyle our economy allows one to afford if they make enough money to live that expensive lifestyle. I used to be a Seventh Day Adventist for 20 years and they teach people to be vegetarians/vegans. They won't even eat fish or drink any wine and even Jesus ate fish and drank wine. To say the least I am not longer an SDA and free from the chains of the cult.

As for this obsession with veganism. Its not realistic. In a survival situation where you either find food or die, a vegetarian/vegan will be lucky to survive 50 days before dying. The body needs protein to survive and when one is placed in a survival situation that's when being a vegetarian/vegan are compromised with the need to eat and survive. But when one is living in a good economy and makes decent money then one can afford to live like a vegan. There are lots of vegetarians who live long and healthy lives. But its our American economy and lifestyle that makes their choice of being vegan possible to live. If our economy ever tanked and we were all forced to survive on what we could find, the vegans will be the first to die off.

My ideas around vegetarianism/veganism are based around harm reduction, rather than the idea that life is too sacred to eat or some such notion.

The way I look at harm reduction supposes two things-
one, that to be moral I am not expected to be omniscient. If an attempt to reduce harm somehow creates a harmful effect that I did not foresee, this does not undo the value of the attempt.
two, that harm reduction exists as a spectrum and is not a zero sum game. An attempt to reduce harm does not lose all value if it only reduces some harm rather than reducing the all of it or a maximum amount. A failure to reduce harm at one point does not undo the value of attempting to reduce harm at a later point.

If I'm at a festival and the food truck has a veggie option I'll take it and consider that I've reduced some harm. The "best" option might have been to skip the truck entirely or pack vegan from home, but my willingness and ability to do this depends on a lot of the other life choices I've made up to this point.
My willingness (i.e. eating veggie when I would prefer meat) and my ability (i.e. having the money to afford to eat veggie, living somewhere with enough veggie options) are also things that I actively work on and adjust.

This way of thinking definitely has "rabbit holes" that I'm not sure I will ever be able to answer or reconcile, but are interesting to think about -

On the topic of value:
I love my leather jacket. It has kept me warm and protected on many long nights and through many misadventures. By having this leather jacket I am making a decision that it's use to me is worth more than the harm it causes. This can be complicated as the harm is contributory rather than direct (as most 1st world harm is) and I do receive a benefit that I consider substantial. How to I consistently assess moral value?
In a survival situation I would definitely eat any and all meat. In doing so I would be making a decision to value my life over other life. Since I don't believe that any life is inherently more valuable than any other, I can't deny that I would be making a biased, subjective decision and that there are limits to my ability to consistently apply logic.

On the topic of progress:
I bought my leather jacket second-hand as opposed to new. This reduces some harm and had no determent to me so it was an easy choice. Is it fine for me to continue to buy second-hand leather throughout my life or do I have an obligation to eventually stop or switch to vegan leather? If I have achieved some good, what creates the drive to achieve more good, especially if I could always be doing more?

Ultimately, I eat meat and I use animal products, but I try to be engaged and thoughtful about my decision making to reduce harm when I can.

In this specific example, what harm has been reduced?

In theory, supporting veggie options makes them economically viable and reduces the amount of meat created by the industry overall.
i.e. the food truck had purchased and bought less meat than it might have in years past because that portion of their sales are now veggie. Or if they didn't this year, they might next year.

Whether it actually works like that- I believe what I've been told about it at this point, but I'd be willing to change my behavior if I find better data.

I think you'll find that probably won't happen because most meat options are a frozen product to begin with. All businesses account for a certain level of wastage and your choice justifies the continuation of that practice without needing to reduce the amount of meat products they buy.

If you're able to convince a good % of people to do the same thing, maybe some harm will be reduced with that specific food truck, but one person? Very unlikely, selling one less meat product than usual is practically negligible.

Reactions: Caracal
did everyone just fucking forget that human bodies are actually designed to eat at least some meat??