How do you manage Layered Vocals

==>Alb<==

Jul 27, 2009
hey guys I'm struggling with a song that have the same parts recorded with a low growl (a little bit weak for my tastes)
and the screaming, but I'm getting mad trying to blend them together

what I am doing:
with the eq I try to find the zones that are too prominent than the other vocal and subdue them.
I send the tracks in a group and I try to glue them with a compressor or with a tube saturator
the result is a weak semi-blend :yuk:

I can't post samples

but if you want share your exeriences maybe can be useful

PS. i also took a look here but I've found nothing

What I normally do is:

1 track for low/growl, 1 track for high/fry screams, etc.

Treat each of these differently. I find that low growls tend to like LESS bass and more treble, and the opposite for highs.

Compress each of these (multiple stages, my personal taste, and maybe limit), then send both of these to a bus where they are compressed again.

Just make sure every phrase is edited properly. If the source is weak/sloppy/etc, you're basically screwed. Get it right from the start.

Im assuming you want to layer them as in stack them on top of each other, in mono, up the center as a traditional lead vocal would be? If so, yes you are screwed if they are not completely tight with each other. In your situation, you'll have to favor one or the other and just go with it

@bryan only mixing. the tightness with each other is good, now i'm trying to make them more tight slipping, moving and stretching

@sbwak yes the idea is to make the "weakboring" growl less weak adding the high part
which alone is thin and leave them in the center and then add some stereo delay etc to open things