How is the music scene in your area?

If your band strives to sound like any of the following bands:

Evergreen Terrace
Yellowcard
Shinedown

Jacksonville, FL is THEEEEE place to be. (incidentally, those bands are all from here)

Otherwise you're pretty much shit out of luck (my band plays slightly progressive power thrash to about 10 people per show).

Well... there is some other 'metal' here, but it's just all the people who think what's on Headbanger's Ball is the epitome of metal. "Yeah man...Fuck'n Lamb Of God man..Fuck yeah.. Pantera..Slayer..Norma Jean..Shadows Fall..As I Lay Dying.. Fuck.. All those bands, man, that's the good shit, man. That's fucking heavy. I have pretty diverse tastes....Fuck..."

The scene in South Florida goes through a lot of ups and downs. it died down for a while back in '02/'03 but now its started to pick up again.
anyone interested in some pure metal, I suggest checking out:
Aghora (progressive/jazz metal)
Hibernus Mortis (pure fucking death metal)
Kult ov Azazel (black metal)
Hellwitch (technical death/thrash)
Premonition (good ol' metal)
SAQ (thrash/hardcore)
Cyst (thrash)

Some bands I like from Toronto and the area:

Woods of Ypres (doom/black metal w/ lots of acoustic/clean vox)
Goat Horn (traditional/thrash metal)
Rotting (brutal death metal)
Will of the Ancients (cold black metal)
At the Mercy of Inspiration (black metal)

Other ones I've heard a LOT of good stuff about:
Lapidate (death/grind)
Elevator 22 (dunno.)
Rammer (traditional)

There's a lot more out there :) I guess we have a pretty good scene.

Estuary and Elusive Travel. I don't know if Execrator are still around or not...

Other bands that had really bright futures (Dominus Obscurum, Death Warmed Over) are now broken up.

a lot of punk bands and hardcore bands too.

Krigloch_the_Furious said:
damn, diggin up some shit!

hmm, whatta know, central IL is still a shitty place for metal.
and my band is STILL searching for a god damn drummer
Tell me about it, the music scene in our part of the state is pretty much non-existent. There might be some christian rock bands (not my cup of tea) or some crappy blink 182 wannabes (*pukes blood*) and to say that much about our area's music scene is stretching it. The nearest places I could go to see a decent metal show are St. Louis and Chicago, both of which are a good 3-4 hour drive from where I live, not to mention that I don't really have the time to make those drives at this point in time, so I'm SOL.

Don't bother driving to Chicago to see local metal bands. Not a great idea. We have Viscosity and we used have Paragon X. They were pretty good. We are pretty much the pop/punk capital of the US. Macabre is from here. I can't think of any other Chicago metal bands, or at least any that are from here. At least all of the tours come here, so I don't feel too bad about not having any local scene.

As far I as I can tell there is no music scene in Las Vegas (that I care about anyways) Everything seems to be hyper-pop-isized. A few bands have come through in the last year or so... only two i can think of one one I'd go see.

In Flames and Satyricon

In Reading most of the bands are punk. I don't mind though, as I like it.

I go to quite a few local punk gigs and sometimes there will be a metalish band there. It's all good :Smug:

I live in a small seaside town in South Wales in the UK and the music scene is shit. Most people like pop, dance, hip hop, rap and all that shit. There's a few metalheads like myself and we all stick together. Bands wise most bands that form here are crappy pop punk bands who cover Blink 1-82 and Bowling For Soup. There's a couple of good ones - an awesome stoner rock band I've forgotten the name of and a band called The Scapegoats who could easily be the next Rage Against The Machine. :headbang:

MasterOLightning said:
At least all of the tours come here, so I don't feel too bad about not having any local scene.
That's what I ment by a decent metal show (all the major tours), except both Chicago and St. Louis are too far out of the way for me to go to

After looking around my area I've found a few death metal bands, and came across a bit of black metal, but not a lot, and finding material by these bands (as far as i'm aware i've yet to see demos or any releases at all being sold at shows)

MasterOLightning said:
Don't bother driving to Chicago to see local metal bands. Not a great idea. We have Viscosity and we used have Paragon X. They were pretty good. We are pretty much the pop/punk capital of the US. Macabre is from here. I can't think of any other Chicago metal bands, or at least any that are from here. At least all of the tours come here, so I don't feel too bad about not having any local scene.
I thought that Chicago had a ton of death metal bands. I don't think you're looking hard enough.